23 replies to this topic

#1 Pure Darkness

Pure Darkness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 22 2017 - 05:25 PM

People claim to be free but what exactly are they free from? 

It cannot be seen. Cannot be felt.

Cannot be heard. Cannot be smelt.

It lies behind stars and under hills.

And empty holes it fills.

It comes first and follows after.

Ends life. Kills laughter. 

#2 Ged

Ged

No Fantasy Required.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationLocal shit

Posted February 23 2017 - 12:36 AM

I don't think "people" would claim to be free,if they really thought about it. "Freedom" is a notion much championed by "democracy",which is a lie. Under democracy we can vote for two shades of the same shit, "left" or "right".Today's society extracts a heavy toll on it's supplicants. To be free today you must either exist as an outsider,on the fringes of society,or be so rich you can do practically whatever you want.

You pose an interesting question. I will have to think about it some more. I hope this thread survives as it is an important question,as minds evolve even though one by one.
"What has posterity ever done for me!" - Groucho Marx.

#3 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,266 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted February 23 2017 - 12:37 AM

it's just a state of mind people have that finds them at peace. why would you want to take that away from them?

it could be anything. free from debt, negativity, a bad job, a bad relationship. they feel free and good on 'em. :)

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#4 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,980 posts

Posted February 23 2017 - 01:11 AM

"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose"...Kris Kristoferson and Fred Foster

• GLENGLEN likes this

#5 Ajay0

Ajay0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted February 23 2017 - 01:18 AM

Freedom comes with strength and strength comes with perception of the truth and its timely application. As Eric Hoffer says, ' The weakness of a soul is proportionate to the number of truths that must be kept from it. '

Freedom as such can be political, spiritual, psychological and financial. 

Strength politically or financially or psychologically speaking comes and goes due to the external variables which are not always under our control. However the internal state of mind can be brought to a state of bliss and peace regardless of external situations and circumstances. So perfection as an ideal may or may not be manifest in action or in practical matters, but it can be flawlessly manifested internally.   And this is what Buddhahood or sagehood  implies. 

So I would say it is spiritual freedom that is substantial and worth pursuing and all others come in its wake. 

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. -- Barry Long

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle

#6 morrow

morrow

Free as a bird

• PipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • LocationNW UK

Posted February 23 2017 - 03:03 AM

I'm free! And I will never again not be free!

Ok there are laws of the land, but you pretty much do them anyway!

But I choose for me, I decide for me..

I'm free!

#7 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted February 23 2017 - 09:23 AM

In politics freedom usually refers to freedom from oppression by tyranny. For example, the Tea Party repeatedly threatening to bankrupt the government is considered a form of tyranny by the minority. The republican party refusing to allow Obama to choose the next supreme court justice is considered tyranny rather than a functional democratic government. Congress suspending our constitutional rights indefinitely, gerrymandering the entire voting system, and authorizing the military to round up citizens like so many cattle are all considered forms of tyranny along the same lines as someone pointing a gun at your head and insisting you tell them you are excited to be free. In other words, freedom is what you don't have.

Edited by Wu Li Heron, February 23 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#8 Pure Darkness

Pure Darkness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 23 2017 - 03:14 PM

it's just a state of mind people have that finds them at peace. why would you want to take that away from them?

Not looking to take anything away from anyone if that's what you're implying. If it brings them a certain level of peace to believe they're free regardless of their captivity, then that's fine with me.

So I would say it is spiritual freedom that is substantial and worth pursuing and all others come in its wake. 

What is spiritual freedom? Freedom from spirituality? I can see that as even spirituality can be a sort of confinement. Like a vehicle it could only take you so far.  

It cannot be seen. Cannot be felt.

Cannot be heard. Cannot be smelt.

It lies behind stars and under hills.

And empty holes it fills.

It comes first and follows after.

Ends life. Kills laughter. 

#9 TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner

Georgia Homegrown

• PipPipPip
  • 18,925 posts
  • LocationHell County, GA

Posted February 23 2017 - 09:53 PM

Freedom is an illusion. You'll always be bound by something, whether it be biology, physics, finances, slow bandwidth(lol), personal morality, etc..

​Nobody is free.

tumblr_n98arxiQAs1rk8qkho1_250.gif

I Can Only Build If I Tear The Walls Down
Even If It Breaks Me, I Won't Let It Make Me Frown
I'm Falling, But No Matter How Hard I Hit The Ground.......I'll Still Smile
~Micheal "Eyedea" Larsen~

(RIP cosmoknot, rangerdanger, and Geneity)

#10 Ajay0

Ajay0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted February 24 2017 - 01:41 AM

What is spiritual freedom? Freedom from spirituality? I can see that as even spirituality can be a sort of confinement. Like a vehicle it could only take you so far.  

Freedom stems from strength and strength lies in the subtle really. Intellectual strength obviously takes precedence over physical strength and similarly the sage is superior to the merely intellectual. 

Napoleon Bonaparte, considered as the greatest general ever by Wellington himself, remarked thus ,There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded his empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for him.”

I can see that as even spirituality can be a sort of confinement. Like a vehicle it could only take you so far.  

On the contrary, spirituality helps us to overcome the limitations and bondages of the body-mind-intellect complex and its everchanging sensory inputs, and identify instead with pure consciousness or Awareness ( I AM) which is of a permanent nature. 

As Jed Mckenna puts it eloquently, "I Am is the only thing anyone has ever known or will ever know. Everything else, all religion and philosophy, is nothing more than dream interpretation. There is no other fact than I Am. The cogito is the seed of the thought that destroys the universe. Beyond the cogito, nothing is known. Beyond the cogito, nothing can be known. Except I Am, no one knows anything. No man or god can claim to know more. No God or array of gods can exist or be imagined that know more than this one thing: I Am."

I have explained this more in a thread of mine. 

Edited by Ajay0, February 24 2017 - 01:55 AM.

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. -- Barry Long

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop