My Haunted House Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Moonglow181, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just watched this tonight...both stories here were very frightening....I experienced the sleep paralysis with what they call..."The old hag"....coming towards me.....and I looked it up on google, and there have been many similar stories throughout history. The person telling the story of what happened to him is pretty believable....
    I saw the woman coming towards me, but I shook free of the paralysis in time and mustered up all of my courage to scare her away.

......and I felt anger more than fear when it happened to me, and she disappeared for the remaining time I lived in that haunted house.

You have to look squarely at these things and tell them where to go.....and do not give them the power....and take it back.
    I was ready to go to war with the one who tried to come over me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSsJcOd71E

2. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

If you researched sleep paralysis as you claimed than I trust you found out that there's a perfectly logical, biological, and decidedly non paranormal explanation for it? As well as for the old hag?

If you didn't for some reason, I'd be happy to explain it for you.

Let me know.

Cheers.

Oh, and it is most common in young males,,you might be interested in knowing.

Cheers.

3. Moonglow181

Yes, please do, in your own words explain it.....I would love to hear why i saw her.
    I have time today...not going anywhere out there with dogs. It is 100 degrees out there today......[​IMG]

4. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Basically.....our bodies release a natural chemical when we dress that causes partial paralysis in our muscles. This is no doubt an evolved condition, and the purpose for it is to prevent us from maybe injuring ourselves by jumping out of bed or flailing around or even walking. Remember that back in our stone age or Hunter gatherer days, early man most likely sometimes slept in places like trees or atop rocks or narrow ridges or beside bodies of water.

People who sleep walk of course are lacking in this chemical release.

So, in the case of sleep paralysis, what is happening is that traces of the chemical are still circulating in your system as you partially exit the dream state. Which means you're partially awake. Thus, you experience this disconcerting effect of feeling paralyzed.

As far as the hag, people of different cultures experience different things. Depending on their exposures to the various myths and culture and folklore of their peoples. This very fact that all those beinggs are different and not the same goes a long way in further proving there's no one real main type of ghost or evil entity responsible.

It's all in your head. And people see what they have heard about. The paralysis part has a biological basis.

Here's a bit more on all this and explains how Neuroscience can account for the phenomenon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

https://vanwinkles.com/the-demon-vanquisher

1 person likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I used to have hypnogagic hallucinations when I lived with a friend. I would see a very big man, although sensed him more than saw him. He wss just kind of a black outline but with a strong presence.

It started shortly after I moved in and I never had them after I moved out

I've never really believed in the supernatural and didnt think much of it past the fact that it was interfering with some quality sleep

Until after I moved out when my friend told he he always felt that room was haunted and would see weird orbs of light and hear weird sounds in it. That kind of weirded me out.

6. Moonglow181

The sleep paralyisis part makes perfect sense.......Now, I had not heard anything about the old hag who visits during sleep paralyisis ever, and did not hear about her until I was watching another ghost true story while living here, a few years ago. My old hag took the form of a person who was living and alive and well right below me. She could be described as an old hag......and at first, I thought it was her and that she broke in....but she evaporated into thin air after I sat up and yelled at her. She was trying to touch my feet......and after that i got foot problems....lichen planus....I also later learned spirits can take the form of live people.....and many people had ghost encounters in that house. I was in the attic alone with my two cockatiels at the time.
    I have also seen a few other ghosts....one in a window, when I was little...just a face in the second story window looking in and laughing...also when I was little, a shadow person riding a bicycle on my wall in my bedroom............and a shadow person here when I first moved here that walked right by me while I was fully awake and closed the door and reopened it right before my eyes, as he passed by........Hallucinated them? I don't think so.... :D

7. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Well I do. LOL

Sorry, as a science guy, and a hard boiled skeptic, I don't believe in ghosts.

Your old hag sighting was if purely psychological and physiological causes. I know this explanation might not be as cool or intriguing to you as your ghostie ideas, but it's what happened.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this deal. I know from experience that if somebody wants to believe in ghosts, or gods, that no amount of science or facts are gonna sway them. People believe what they want, and what makes them feel best about themselves and their importance in the world.

Cheers.

8. You can be a science guy and be open o all kinds of possibilities. Don't use science to justify your skepticism because the two just aren't partners. As a philosophy guy, I realize the limitations of our understanding of how the world works, and it is indeed very limited. But I also realize how futile it is to try and explain to a hardened skeptic why maybe they should open their minds to other possibilities.

To sleep paralysis...when I have it I just start laughing. I am genuinely amused by the idea of monsters scaring me, so it works for me.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Considering that science is surely becoming the mainstream religion, wouldn't being a "skeptic" these days be the definition of believing in ghosts? I mean being influenced by science and also being a sceptic kind of just, mute each other out.

10. Moonglow181

Huh!?

What makes me feel best about myself and importance in the world. ? I felt cursed with those sightings.....lol

I am science and fact orientated, too.
    I am not a believer in any gods. I would like to hope that there is some kind of afterlife for beings, but am also a skeptic.

I can say, ok, the face in the window could have been caused by moonlight streaming through the trees outside and causing some weird shadow that looked like a face moving and laughing. The person on the bicycle who was not going anywhere....just there on my wall for many minutes...was not near any window to cause weird shadow reflections.....ok, so maybe I always had an overactive imagination....
    The being could have been some kind of weird sleep paraLYSIS HALLUCINATION. i DON'T RULE THAT OUT.....but the door closing and then opening again on the room I was in with a shadow figure walking by....never has done that again...There is no way that door could have closed by itself and then opened again....so I cannot explain that one away.
    I can tell you after the sleep paralysis, I was afraid to ever sleep with the light off again in that house....and with what happened here, I was so scared, I woke Stan up and made him look around to see if there was an intruder in this house.....They seemed very real at the time.

I have never hallucinated any other times or have taken any hallucinatory drugs.......so I still have an open mind here...even though I am one skeptic. that hardly believes in ghosts myself.

11. Moonglow181

Oh, and the other weird thing about the tall shadow figure here....that looked like ichabod Crane. he was so tall and slender dressd in black......My mom called me up around the same time from 140 miles away where she was living and described the same shadow person I saw on her wall, too.....I was "OMG...i saw him, too!"

As a science person, I do not rule out our universe bumping into other universes or dimensions from time to time, and causing these weird ghost like apparitions. So many people claim to have seen ghosts,

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yes I think this could be possible too. It is possible everything that has ever occurred and will ever occur is happening simultaneously, instead of how we normally think of time in linear terms, and so occasionally the various universes bump into each other.

The multiverse theory is really interesting

13. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I have recurrent episodes of sleep paralysis but my visions verge more on the grotesque than scary. Once i could actually watch my arm and "feel" just like I raised it while in fact it laid on the bed. Haha! It is a bogus nervous feedback ! See how it comes that when i try to turn the light on nothing happens... I actually didnt even move. SP is your brain playing asshole tricks on you while you are groggy. That little bastard.

14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I have had an encounter with a "shadow figure" as you describe. It was inexplicable to me at the time and consequently quite terrifying:

I was buckling myself into the passenger seat of a car in the wee hours of a frozen January night. I had just gotten into a fight with my then boyfriend, and we were both still seething as we climbed into the car in his quiet suburban neighborhood. I turned to look out the window and saw a faceless black figure peering right back at me on the other side of the window. It was a strange sensation, as the man had no face, no eyes, just a shape. Yet I knew he was looking right at me. I yelped and tried to get my boyfriend's attention, and as he glanced up into the rear-view mirror he saw another black figure standing right behind the vehicle. He threw the car in reverse, and technically should have hit the "person" standing behind the car. But we both glanced back and saw the two figures standing side by side at the end of the road, "staring" at us. They were simple cloaked black figures.

Obviously, the figures we saw could have been some potential criminals scoping out cars to break into. But I don't think that makes much sense, either: the temperatures were in the negative, and the area is typically quite safe. How did we back into one of them without hitting it? Even years later, I just can't forget the feeling of being looked at by something with no eyes. No face.

I still can't explain that event. Apparently these "shadow people" are known to appear in areas of sadness and general negativity, and are quite universally reported across civilizations. I am sure it could have been a "folie a deux", and that there are many alternative scientific explanations for these sightings. And yet...