#1 Dick Paradise

Dick Paradise

Large Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationThe State of Intoxication

Posted February 16 2017 - 04:56 PM

I actually wasted a whole lunch hour on this.  It wasn't as earth-shaking as the press seems to think.  What I saw was a long speech and maybe 25% of the time spent on questions.  One point he made was that he inherited a mess, something Obama said for roughly 6 years into his presidency.  Both of them are right, the mess has been going on for decades.  Trump was good enough to actually except Obama from this claim and recognized the mess has been with us for quite a while.

He also made quite a few direct statements as well as some comical jabs about the information leaks.  On this I'm afraid he's right.  Even Obama was wise enough to close the doors when vital, classified information was being considered.  The fact the press had a straight line source is not actually a good thing in terms of national security since those leaks were not casual, they violated NSA warrants.  Sure, we'd all like more transparency in government, but there has to be a balance to the information that might be considered strategic.

For the most part, he was ranting at the press and suggesting that he'd be accused of ranting at the press.  

One thing I thought was interesting was a reporter asking if he'd meet with the CBC.  He said absolutely he would and suggested she set it up.  I wonder how that will play out.

#2 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted February 16 2017 - 05:27 PM

LOL, the idea that we need transparency or secrecy in government is a joke in bad taste. The president can torture and kill anyone he wants without even having to tell congress after the fact and can declare war on any country. For all practical purposes he is now God incarnate representing the US so long as he manages to stay in office. 

Obama and Trump can complain about the press all they want, but it is they who set the standard that money and the gun are doing all the talking worth listening to.

#3 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 05:30 PM

I actually wasted a whole lunch hour on this.  It wasn't as earth-shaking as the press seems to think.  What I saw was a long speech and maybe 25% of the time spent on questions.  One point he made was that he inherited a mess, something Obama said for roughly 6 years into his presidency.  Both of them are right, the mess has been going on for decades.  Trump was good enough to actually except Obama from this claim and recognized the mess has been with us for quite a while.

He also made quite a few direct statements as well as some comical jabs about the information leaks.  On this I'm afraid he's right.  Even Obama was wise enough to close the doors when vital, classified information was being considered.  The fact the press had a straight line source is not actually a good thing in terms of national security since those leaks were not casual, they violated NSA warrants.  Sure, we'd all like more transparency in government, but there has to be a balance to the information that might be considered strategic.

For the most part, he was ranting at the press and suggesting that he'd be accused of ranting at the press.  

One thing I thought was interesting was a reporter asking if he'd meet with the CBC.  He said absolutely he would and suggested she set it up.  I wonder how that will play out.

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression, too. Just a few details I think need more attention. First, he backtracked on his previous admission that the Russians did intervene in our elections. Second, he ranted some more about all the "fake news" the press puts out, but when a reporter questioned his boast that he had the biggest electoral college victory since Reagan, noting that Obama's was bigger, he qualified that to say "Republican", and then when the reporter mentioned that G.H.W. Bush's was bigger, said that's what somebody told me. So what some anonymous somebody told him becomes the basis for his alternative facts. Third, re the Cummings meeting with the CBC, he seemed at first not to know what the CBC was, then asked the reporter to set it up, I suppose because she was African-American. That was odd. Why would she set it up? He's the President !

Edited by Okiefreak, February 16 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• Asmo and Lynnbrowngreen like this

#4 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,389 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted February 16 2017 - 06:50 PM

giphy.gif

• Balbus, BlackBillBlake, NoxiousGas and 1 other like this

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#5 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,389 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted February 16 2017 - 07:07 PM

Here's what Shep Smith of FOX news thought about it:

‘It’s crazy what we’re watching every day. It’s absolutely crazy. He keeps repeating ridiculous throwaway lines that are not true at all, and sort of avoiding this issue of Russia as if we’re some kind of fools for asking the question. Really? Your opposition was hacked, and the Russians were responsible for it, and your people were on the phone with Russia on the same day it was happening, and we’re fools for asking the questions? No, sir.’

‘We are not fools for asking these questions and we demand to know the answer to this question. You owe this to the American people. Your supporters will support you either way. If your people were on the phone [with the Russians,] what were they saying? We have a right to know. We absolutely do, and that you call us fake news and put us down like children for asking these questions on behalf of the American people is inconsequential. The people deserve that answer, at very least.’

https://www.facebook...54339389146167/

• themnax, Lynnbrowngreen and NoxiousGas like this

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#6 Dick Paradise

Dick Paradise

Large Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationThe State of Intoxication

Posted February 16 2017 - 07:15 PM

Here's what Shep Smith of FOX news thought about it:

https://www.facebook...54339389146167/

It's weird that a Fox News reporter is the one who gets it.  The rest are too stuck on the played out "I hate Trump" bullshit to see that his schtick doesn't need any enhancement.  It's bad enough as it is.

#7 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 07:21 PM

He dosnt have the comedy timing of Obama or the silliness of Bush but is equally funny in his own special way.
Besides that I agree with everything else from this site.
  • themnax likes this

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#8 Pressed Rat

Pressed Rat

Do you even lift, bruh?

• PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 07:25 PM

The guy is a carnival barker.  The media is a joke, but so is he, and so is everything that's presented to the public at face value.

• themnax and penguinsfan13 like this

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

#9 Lynnbrowngreen

Lynnbrowngreen

Firecracker

• PipPipPip
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone in southern US

Posted February 16 2017 - 08:31 PM

Today, watching that press conference, I literally felt I was witnessing one of the most strange and bizarre "events" ever.   

Even though he appeared to be reading from his notes, to say he actually used "sentences" to express himself is pushing the definition of sentence.   It seemed like I heard a lot of phrases put together, and sometimes he would reach a point where I could tell he thought it was the end of the sentence.   I thought of my Public Speaking class I had in college (which of course I aced :D ) many years ago, and I knew that the current president of the US would have failed that class.

Beyond thinking of what a damn embarrassment he is to the US, I wondered how many "great" things he has down the pike for us.  lol   I understood that we are "powerful nuclear nation like Russia", and the press is bad bad bad.  lol

I must say I LOVED it when the reporter kept on with the voting question and facts , which of course dummyhead wound up attributing his "facts" to "someone else told me that".  

Too bad he can't set up his own appointment with the CBC; but then he would need to know what that is first.  :rofl:   

Shep Smith of FOX news has the right of it.  

• themnax and MeAgain like this

#10 egger

egger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 10:46 PM

Trump needs to do a formal press conference with proper advance notice from the press briefing room of the West Wing of the White House instead of having Kellyanne Conway use it to advertise Ivanka Trump's merchandise. The press briefing room is set up in a controlled and purposeful manner with formal seating arrangements made by the White House Correspondents' Association.  Trump has yet to do one there. He prefers ballroom settings because they are large, informal, and glamorous.  This impromptu press conference called by Trump threw the journalists off-balance.

Trump is still spouting off the same insult at BBC journalists like he did on January 11th ("Here's another beauty, just like CNN").  

He gets annoyed with questions that involve more than a couple sentences.

He orders journalists to stand up and sit down like a school teacher.

Trump is still claiming his election victory was huge and he doesn't appeal to facts and reason.  It was near the bottom at 46th out of 58 elections for electoral vote and 47th out of the last 49 elections for popular vote with a negative 2.1%. 

https://www.nytimes....pular-vote.html

He says John Kelly told him that the travel ban shouldn't be properly planned over a few weeks because the bad guys would get in, He's still blaming the chaos on a computer glitch at Delta Airlines and bad decisions by the courts.

His gem at the end was that other people divided the country and that he wants to unite, a remark reminiscent of G.W. Bush who at the beginning of his first term said he was a 'uniter', not a divider, and who after 9/11 polarized the world by saying you're either with us or against us.

• MeAgain, Balbus, soulcompromise and 2 others like this

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop