Anyone Ever Had Spinal And/or Brain Surgery?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by abarambling, Feb 7, 2017.

1. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Apparently my spine is squeezing, crushing, or whatever the lower half of my brain. And my doctor wants to go in and drill a hole in my brain to give space.

In all the years of having surgeries and ton of different medical things, I never had spinal or brain suergey. So, I was wondering if anyone ever had spinal or brain surgery, to see how the recovery was. I know the surgery will be shit. The doctor said there is a possibly that it will fix my issues or make things worse. All that shit I already know. I just want to know how bad the recovery is. I don't give a fuck about everything else, because I pretty much know it will be crap already.

Anyways, thanks

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My mom had some minor spinal surgery to clean up disks.

My former boyfriend had a spinal fushion.

I haven't had any but I know that they get you up and moving pretty quickly after those two.

3. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I hope so. Because I have plans this summer and if I get the surgery in the spring,I want to be up and going by the summer. Also, I don't want my lovely personality to change considering I will then have a hole in my brain. Or something equally as bad with neurological function because I have a hole in my brain.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

yes major reconstruction l1 to l4.....broke both feet/ankles at the same time.....spine took 6 months....feet,ankles took a year

good luck

5. Aerianne

What did your doctor tell you to expect if things went well?

6. abarambling

abarambling Banned

My doctor never was very good at actually talking to me. He talks more AT me. He just told me there is a chance it can solve all, if not most of the issues that I'm having right now. But, he said there is also a chance that it might make things worse. He just didn't go into detail how. And yes, I did ask, but he still didn't really tell me. And I was already feeling physically ill, so I didn't want to press the issue more than I already was. He did say that I might have some neck pain for a few months. That's about it. Not very specific, I know.

7. abarambling

abarambling Banned

How did you break your feet/ankles at such a young age?

8. Aerianne

They have to make you aware of the risks involved. That's called Covering Your Ass, you know?

I'd take the doctor's best case scenario and expect nothing less than that for myself.

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Best case scenario, I guess... is that it works to solove my issues, because he thinks this is why I'm having my issue. But, there is also a likely chance this isn't the issue, so doing this surgery won't solve it. And there is also a likely chance that it will make things worse.

But, that's not really here or there. I just want to know how it will be afterwards. Not specific to my case, but more general... what happens after you have spinal or brain surgery. Considering he is drilling a hole in my brain and it will be near, or basically on my spine... I just want to know general things.

10. Aerianne

I know some people who have shunts placed in their heads but I don't know how their recovery went.

Have you had a look at any Brain Surgery Recovery Forums?

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

sorry dude I wasn't clear...that is L1 to L4...the four lowest vertebrae in ones spine.....I was 36 years old when it happened.....riding my motorcycle on a gorgeous day...sunny.....not much traffic....some dude just turned in front of me at a stop light...I had the green..he didn't see me.....

I managed to get the bike turned slightly but raised my left foot against the impact....shoe print shaped dent in the passenger door catapulted me and the bike over top of the van...bike flew 22 feet...I flew 32 feet......rolled a bunch and landed on my back....paralysed . from the waist down but it turned out my spinal cord wasn't severed..had bone fragments embedded....they built a bridge over the damage with rods and screws that slide allowing me movement

I was very lucky to have an awesome surgeon.....18 hour surgery on the first day to clean up my legs...2 days later 14 hour back surgery

12. MADDENEDMAN

MADDENEDMAN Members

you need to switch docs, also its been looked into and concluded that women are far better health care providers because they are naturally more attentive, had a male doctor once and he was a stuck up know it all asshole, i never let a dude doc even touch me anymore

13. VerySexual

VerySexual Members

Absolutely get a second opinion, and maybe a third. You certainly need to get your questions answered.respectfully. I wouldn't let a doctor cut on me with a "maybe it will work" attitude. Do your homework.

Good luck and best wishes for a positive outcome whatever you decide.

V/S

14. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I've been with him for a very long time. Like since childhood. He isn't the greatest doctor. He talks at me rather than to me. He is very come and go. He is the fucker that prescibed me medication that I was allergic to, and I had to stay an extra week in the hospital because of that. But, he is the only doctor I know. And he hasn't killed me. Not that I would mind dying. So.

15. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I've met some bitchy female nurses. Male nurses seems a lot nicer. But, I think it really depends on the individual person. You never really know what temperament you will get with a medical professional.

16. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I only go on this forum. Also, I have a VA shunt, but I never really considered that brain surgery, considering it's the skull that they mess around with, not so much the brain. Well, kind of.

17. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I thought you meant between the ages of 1-4. And I was wondering how a child that isn't even mobile yet can break bones. Anyways, that sounds horrible, but I am glad you survived it. I'm sorry it happened, still.

18. abarambling

abarambling Banned

If I die, I'll miss you guys. But, I'll be happy dead. Just know that.

19. Aerianne

Hopefully, the surgery will be a huge success and you can be happy living.

20. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Psh. With how sucky my life has been going, I doubt it. But, thank you.