I Feel Terrible.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by makihiko, Feb 6, 2017.

1. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

is there some magic food I can eat to feel good?

I am a 30 year old man, in fairly decent health, but I just feel terrible all the time.

I don't have a lot of money, so I eat a lot of junk, with preservatives, or from a can.

whats cheap, that will make me feel better?

when I splurge and buy a few avacodos, I feel great for a day or two, then back to crappy.

any advice?

2. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps you have an intolerance to something. If you can try to isolate certain things in your diet and remove them and see if it makes a difference. A food journal might help you see a pattern. If you can not or do not eat properly all the time perhaps boosting with a good vitamin might be helpful.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ashwagandha.

Actually, since you aren't eating well you might try Maca. It's a "whole food".

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Eat mostly vegetables, unprocessed meat a few times a week, rice and beans are okay, pasta and bread only on occassion, fruit when you crave something sweet, and get lots of healthy fats like from avocados, olive oil and coconut oil, butter, nuts

Thats it, basically. Now if only i could take my own advice.

I just saw where you dont have much money..if you use rice and beans as the foundation for meals and add a couple of veggies and limit meat to a couple of times a week you can eat fairly cheaply. If you want to eat organic try farmers markets in the spring and summer, they're generally cheaper than an organic grocery store.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well if you can buy junk food then you can buy good food too. Now is the time to completely fight for your health and if that means spending the time to eat decently then so be it. You have to make the choice though. Many don't want to, it's too convenient to go on living like they do and they don't have the time and won't make the time so you can't help 'em.

My diet shifts from two weeks good and then maybe two weeks bad but without a doubt, Metamucil in the morning and night works like a charm. I also have apple cider vinegar in the morning and before my main meal.

Read the benefits of ACV, they are numerous. Metamucil rocks too once you get used to it. I always forget to take it three times a day so I top up my evening and morning mucil.

To me it literally like, you drink it and it goes in all your guts and stuff and collects everything into a glue, then you shoot that shit right outta ya body and you feel awesome. 10kegs lighter and 10 years younger.

:)

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

do you exercise? that's important too.

i eat mostly junk myself, and i only feel terrible when i drink alcohol or miss out on sleep.

7. makihiko

Thank you for the advise and tough love!

I don't exercise as much as I should. I drink often, and I dont sleep much.

I eat mostly breads and meats, with canned or frozen veggies at supper (some days).

I can cook, and I have plenty of time to prepare foods.

I will be taking all of your suggestion, and really thinking about it.

A journal sounds good, then I can really see what I eat, even though I feel as though I am eating healthy, actually having the truth in front of my eyes might just change my perspective.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

actually there is a magic food you can eat to feel good, but it's still only legal in like 3 states right now...

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

if youre a coffee drinker switch to tea

made a big difference for me

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think i agree, coffee is supposedly really healthy but it always makes me feel kinda crappy (and i drink it black). I've been thinking of switching to tea

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tea gets to me lol. I can drink coffee and I'm fine, I don't feel the effects of caffeine in coffee but I will from tea and especially green tea. On an empty stomach, green tea literally turns my stomach, it gives me the worst nausea. Usually if I've eaten it's okay, but running on empty, I've tried different blends. Jasmine, lemon, lotus extract etc. but it's just that green tea.

Other tea seems to work okay I guess. Same as coffee though I don't feel the caffeine. People drink coffee when tired, it won't buzz me any. Neither do energy drinks really.

12. makihiko

COFFEE!!! in the last month or so I have had a huge increase in coffee intake!

I started college, and I have been drinking pots of coffee everyday.

I think this problem might be solved!

I'll have to move to one of those three states.....

13. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

Basically, when grocery shopping if you stick to the outermost aisles of the store, the food tends to be healthier for you (my husband is diabetic, and we learned that from his dietitian). It's where you will find fresh produce, dairy, meats, etc. and fewer processed foods. Vegetables and lean meats like chicken and pork tend to be pretty affordable if you buy in bulk, or stock up during sales. For example boneless chicken breasts are $1.99/lb and pork loin is $1.69/lb in bulk, while ground beef is $2.89/lb and up. Fresh produce changes price seasonally in many places, but there are usually deals to be found. Shop around, and learn how to freeze bulk foods to use later. If you aren't comfortable cooking a wide variety of foods. there are several great online recipe sites (recipes.com, etc) or you can buy a cookbook or two that peaks your interest from local thrift stores.

Healthy eating does help you feel better, and have the energy to be more active, over time. It takes practice if you aren't used to it, so give yourself time to learn healthier habits.
    Good luck.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

did he say why that is? i wonder if it's because that's where they usually put the refrigerated sections?

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Of Course You Feel Terrible Drinking All That Coffee Every Day.

Quit The Coffee For 2 Weeks And Just Drink Cold Water, I Did This Years Ago And Believe

Me It Really Flushes Out Your Body And You Will Feel A Different Man In No Time.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's marketing through psychology.

17. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

More space, and better visibilty for produce and refrigeration would be part of it. As Aerianne said, marketing through psychology is another factor. Produce and fresh meat often look less appetizing than boxes and tin cans, when the label shows the perfectly cooked products, with a nice background, and smiling faces. There is a lot of truth to it though. Next time you're grocery shopping compare the health benefits between the outer border of the store, and the aisles crammed with cans and boxes. That is if you don't get completely overwhelmed by the amount of ingredients on a box label that you cannot pronounce, much less know what its for. It can be time consuming and a daunting task to read each label to make the healthiest choices possible for dietary needs and budget. Most people are in too much of a hurry to take the time, and just fill the cart with quick and easy meals, or foods they are comfortable with.

Also, when trying to eat healthier watch out for "low fat" because the sugar is often much higher than regular fat products. Same goes with "low sugar" it either has higher fat, or a sugar substitute that is worse for you than just being mindful of your sugar intake.

People get paid just to market food to the masses, and they tend to be very good at their jobs. It is up to us, the consumers, to educate ourselves so we can make healthier decisions when it comes to our dietary needs. Confusing the situation even more are the 101 fad diets that people swear by. Personally, I have found that through trial and error I can figure out what benefits me, or hurts me, the most when it comes to food. The most important thing to learn about diet is moderation. We can enjoy the treats we like, so long as we don't overindulge in them. It makes for some wonderful challenges in self control, lol.