Are You Concerned About Radon

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by Pete's Draggin', Feb 5, 2017.

1. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

At work , some employees were in the basement all day. I brought radon awareness up to management in front of employees. Management said "another government scare" and ignored a request I made during the discussion to test the basement for radon. Some employees had no idea about radon and we're a little concerned.

I brought this issue to the health and safety committee immediately after my discussion with management. Two months later all employees were moved to upper floors of the building. Coincidence?
    Safety committee told me that management have NO immediate plans to test for radon anywhere in the building, it's not an issue!.....hummm.
    I'm very happy everyone has been moved.
    Note: one of the employees that heard my original concern to management said they were concerned about radon after doing some research on what I said.

Here is an article that explains potential health concerns regarding radon.
    http://articles.***********/sites/articles/archive/2016/02/17/radon-exposure-lung-cancer.aspx

On the other hand to make this a balanced discussion I was floored when I read this article .

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-08/ukraine-thousands-people-are-treated-radon-baths-every-year

Radon is a chemical element, its symbol is Rn and it has an atomic number of 86.
    Radon is a radioactive noble gas, it is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
    I'm astonished on how the danger of a known element is feared on one hand and so embraced on the other.

2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

A recent study concluded that its easy to convince almost anyone that even simple well known facts, such as Walt Disney created the character of Mickey Mouse, are actually questionable or even false. However, they noted that conservatives dug in whenever politics were the issue and I suspect more studies are needed to establish that a lot of their political views are simply related to money. They may simply have nothing to gain monetarily by finding out if there is radon in the basement making it more worthwhile to at least still use it for now for storage or whatever and, otherwise, turn a blind eye to the issue. As far as I know, there is nothing you can do about radon except try to avoid it. Hierarchies naturally lead to such behavior by stressing memories over actually thinking for yourself and, in fact, our memories themselves organize in this fashion with the most distressing memories getting more attention and inspiring irrational behavior.

1 person likes this.
  3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Radon exposure has a lot to do with what type of geology you live on.

2 people like this.
  4. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I breathed radon once.

Hated it!

1 person likes this.
  5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

To be honest I've never thought about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Thats funny. How would you know you breathed it in?

7. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Colorless, odorless and tasteless.... only can be detected using radiological instruments

8. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i used to love those little glow in the dark thingies with a drop of paint with it in it.

not everything that's bad for you is THAT bad for you.
    nor that easy to do anything about.
    i might worry about glow in the dark watches
    if the crap that comes out of cars wasn't a hundred times worse,
    even with all the crap they put on cars to reduce it.

second hand tobacco smoke is another one that's measurably worse for you.

even assholes that play 'their' (recorded by someone else) music loud.

of course traces of radon, and other transuranics, turn up in a lot of other things that are as bad or worse even without it.

none of which is to say harmful isn't harmful.
    atmospheric carbon and carbon compounds resulting from more then needed use of combustion are what we need to be concerned about.

1 person likes this.
  10. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A home built in a geologic strata that is free of radon might still be affected.

If during construction of the home if the contractor back-filled the foundation with radon affect soil.

Its happened.