Being Canadian

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MorphGirl, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was born in Austria but I very rarely ever say that I'm Austrian. Hardly ever. I always say I'm German and that borderline of ours to Austria, well really, we ARE the same people. Well then again, I think Austrians are actually more welcoming than Germans.

There was a time I called myself Prussian too. This was when I couldn't decide if I wanted to be German or if I wanted to be Austrian. One of my friends declared that I was to be Prussian.

And then I also have the Australian citizenship.

One thing that stops me from saying I was "Australian" was that my accent clearly identified me as non Australian. Sure, I can speak good English without the common and often harsh and abrubt German accent, but you could tell just by how I spoke that I was not Australian. So I wasn't an Aussie and no one ever asked me where on Australia was I from, it was always well where did you come from to get here.

So really I'm Austrialand Deutsch! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We have a dutch beer called Bavaria. I've indulged in it so many times i identify as a Bavarian.

2 people like this.
  3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I wouldn't mind being Canadian

4. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Sorry, Canadians do not exist. No such thing as a Canadian, my mistake. :). The government told me this

5. Asmodean

Apologies accepted :)

Technically the Inuit can be called real or true canadians (which makes your comment about canadians not sleeping in igloos intriguing and arguable ;)). Although there wasn't a Canada when their ancestors were the sole humans who roamed those lands. In that regard all people of european origin are indeed import canadians :p Captain Obvious to the rescue: they still can be viewed as canadians of course, as they are citizens of Canada.

6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

My Aunt is Canadian.Does that qualify?

1 person likes this.
  7. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Yes asmo and Inuit do not sleep in igloos today, they have homes and as for my ancestry... i have two great grandparents who were native, grandparents who are half. Parents a quarter. 1st Cousins who are clearly native just looking at them. So I am what I am. Just so you know Inuit are not the only native people, tribe here. You have much to learn asmo. But the government has decided to define what Canadian is and it does not exist. To be Canadian as the government has stated is to be mediocre. Their words not mine and is something that has been promoted.

There was not an African continent either but it doesn't stop people from deciding that Lucy was African and had dark skin even though DNA testing doesn't not prove skin colour.. *shrug*

8. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Piaf I wouldn't mind you being Canadian either :). but I am not sure you would want that under our current government, prime minister.

The man who said he admires dictatorships... says, if you kill your enemy, they win. A man who walks around calling himself a feminist and will continue to do it til people stop listening to him. Lol

9. Asmodean

Ah well, I ment together with other native americans (talking about the continent here. As I understood most were nomads). And I was already aware MOST inuit don't live in igloos anymore. But I don't think I'm gonna explain these things to you in the future as you don't state these things about me out of sincerity, but mostly because you like to act witty :p

If those are the words of the government and not yours maybe you can quote them? It seems very likely to the readers of this topic that those are your words :p It's how you choose to interprete what the government has said about being canadian.

1 person likes this.
  10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

..ok

i'm guessing we in the liberal party cant count on your support?.....say it aint so!

fuddle duddle

11. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

"There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian." Pierre Trudeau

meaning no Canadian culture, No standards at all. There has been a Canadian culture, this is no longer embraced.
    Political correctness is rewarded to the point of it being rediculous. You can not say immigration laws need to change, . The number of people living at or below the poverty line has increased greatly. We don't have jobs for people. To say facts like this you get called a racist. That is not a racist statement. It is not politically correct to say this.

"What could be more absurd than the concept of an “all-Canadian” boy or girl? Pierre Trudeau

I guess that goes for someone who is all chinese, or all African, or all Ukrainian as well, are they absurd? or just those who call themselves Canadian?

"A society which eulogizes the average citizen is one which breeds mediocrity." Pierre trudeau

God forbid you praise the average citizen, the average Canadian. This is not acceptable to do in this country. To do this is not politically correct. To identify yourself as strictly Canadian here is scoffed at and viewed at as absurd. Been told there is no such thing more times than I can count. I explain that I am. And I do believe in a country welcoming others and becoming a part of a culture

We have a government who has done nothing to integrate people, to help new people assimilate, learn the language, know the laws,understand and communicate. people are wondering why this shooting happened at that mosque. Not excusing his actions at all. but without commiunication and understand there is fear. Fear on all sides. Fear brings racism. :-/

And now we have his son who is a piece of work and has praised dictatorships. The man is not liberal and neither was his father.

12. Asmodean

Thanks for being clear for once. So they were your words, not his :)

2 people like this.
  13. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

You need to stop drinking the Kood Aid! :)

[​IMG]

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Howard Stern once said Canadians have a second class citizen mentality. Not sure if I would agree with his wording but I think I might know what he meant.
    When I watch American hockey channels. they show stat leaders. Usually league leaders of different stats.
    The couple of times I watched the Canadian broadcasts. They didn't show league leaders, they showed Canadian born player leaders in those stats.

One time they had a "vote for the best Canadian " thing on a channel I watched out of Canada. All the people that they named in the add were musicians and hockey players. With one or two actors thrown in if my memory is correct. (Was a long time ago. But I do remember not seeing any politicians inventors or historic figures)

15. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Lol. Since when are quotes my words. Lol. shrug*

16. Heat

The interpretation of those quotes are your words and thoughts. That is not necessarily what others would take from those same quotes. So yes, it is in your words.

17. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

No this is exactly what he meant by it, You can look it up yourself. Look up what the first Trudeau did to this country, laws he passed, destructive things he did to destroy this country. If you want to say it did not mean that then please tell me what you believe this means and why.

18. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

:). Yep second class citizens. Why do you think Canadians are constantly saying sorry? Sorry for even picking up something dropped by someone and returning it. They have even passed an apology act her to define all the sorrys and the meaning. We see simply sorry for existing for bothering anyone. Sorry I was in your way and you pushed me aside, I should not have been standing there Lol

19. Heat

Perhaps you need to look at total content.

After thirty years, I do not find fault with the concept put forth by him on the quotes you selectively dissected from the total message he gave. He spoke to diversity being a strength.

I lived through the PET era. While I may not agree with all that he did, I do not consider him to be the worst PM in our history by any means.

2 people like this.
  20. Asmodean

I think most say sorry because they think its civil. This seems often (esp. lately) confused with overly PC behaviour. An understandable mistake. Then there are those people who insist it is how they portray it :p