Will Trump Supporters Listen To The Warnings?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Health insurance will go up in the U.S thanks to the Republicans if they and Trump get their way, even if the ACA survives.

Insurers are unsure if Trump will reimburse them for the cost sharing subsides they must provide, so they will raise rates to cover those costs or drop out of the market.

Trump refuses to penalize those who don't buy insurance through the tax penalty, so younger low risk people will fail to get insurance forcing insurers to raise rates to cover those loses.

Trump would also allow insurers to pull out of the ACA market.

The goal is to starve and destabilize the marketplace and thus the ACA.
    Then he can claim it's failing.

2 people like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The propaganda put out in the US against single payer is sickening

I don't really want to do the research for people who arent interested, but if anyone is interested in how our system compares with every other first world country in the world and many developing nations with a single payer system I recommend :

Research the tax rate to fund single payer healthcare in other nations versus what the average American spends on premiums and deductibles (take into consideration what we pay in tax for Medicare and Medicaid as well)

Annual GDP costs for healthcare

Administrative costs for insurance companies in America versus admin costs within a single payer system

The pricing method within the insurance-based American system (hint, it doesmt make sense)

Drug prices

Americans are being scammed

3 people like this.
  4. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Steven hawking s is dead,
    He is an imposter.

I wonder how much fake Steven hawking s was paid to represent the NHS as a spokesperson.

The NHS has nothing to do with obamacare. To compare the two is rediculous.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh really, the US is the only first world country in the world without a single payer system and we're experiencing a healthcare crisis and yet we shouldn't compare ourselves to other countries to see how we can use other systems to improve our own? Interesting perspective!

1 person likes this.
  6. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Look up the cost of NHS to the people. It is not free to the people. It is a failing system. Look up wait times for medical help in the UK. The UK has big problems that the media refuses to acknowledge most of the time.

Thei Uk cancer treatment website addresses concerns for wait times on receiving treatment, request that your doctor put an urgent on your treatment, Your doctor will also reassure you that waiting a few months for treatment will make no difference.

5000 pounds a year per person for NHS, which is a little over 6500 usd per person. Ah don't take my wors for it.

How about you read this article from the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32057948

Now compare, is this what we want? We should check out Canada and see how they are fairing, maybe they are in better shape than the UK

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hey thanks for being civil

The max rate for the NHS is 14% from what I just read, I personally pay about 10% in premiums but when deductibles are calculated it is more like 20%. Plus tax for medicare and medicaid

14% isn't ideal, it does depend on income though, it is lower for some. And the NHS isnt the only system, other countries may pay a lower rate

I have heard mixed reviews about wait time from various countries, same as in the US though. Just as an anecdote you can take with a grain of salt, - I have a mole that looks like melanoma, cant find a dermatologist that can get me in sooner than 2 months

But as far as dollars, single payer makes more sense than anything else

All the other problems in single payer systems around the world we should examine closely and see how we can improve upon them

1 person likes this.
  8. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

A family of 4 would have to pay 4 times that amount, 26000 dollars per year
    Long wait times and the system is bankrupt

P.S. I am always civil.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It goes by income though, a family of four will still be taxed by each individual parent's income ..at least that's how it appeared to work from my research, Balbus correct me if I'm wrong.

Whereas in the US, with employer subsidized family plans as well as family plans that fall under the ACA you do pay much higher premiums for families versus single plans

Plus the idea that we should expect employers to subsidize employers health insurance is ridiculous, the US wants to be business friendly but there is nothing business friendly about expecting employers to pay for their employee's. healthcare. I dont think people realize how much employers pay for employer sponsored health care, usually whatever your premiums are your employer pays a significant amount more. Which is why subsidies were such a big part of the ACA, because the cost of insurance is really prohibitive for most people of average income to pay on their own. But we have the most expensive healthcare in the world, we would see that go down if we cut out administrative costs and allowed the government to negotiate and control pricing better.

Also, as far as employer sponsored healthcare - we could pontentially see a rise in wages if employers were released from that burden

2 people like this.
  10. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Donald Trump is not just evil. He's emotionally and mentally ill.

"Crazy" is not a political position. Everyone who cares about politics should be worried about this man.

2 people like this.
  11. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Yep - there's a certain percentage in every society who will flock to the flag of Hitler-like leaders and become their 'gauleiters'

1 person likes this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I agree, but what's odd about your post is that it's referring to a "map" that appeared on a different thread.. Coloring one side of the brain red and the other blue makes for an eye-catching but totally misleading graphic. You've taken it literally as relating to the two brain hemispheres, which is a natural thing to do. If you read the explanations accompanying the image, however, it's clear that the alleged differences have nothing to do with the hemispheres, but instead relate to a specific set of personality traits, some of which seem to have a basis in brain physiology, specifically gray matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex and the volume of the right amygdala. The gist of the argument is that conservatives/ Republicans prefer simple "black and white" solutions and show greater fear of the unknown. That's also a gross simplification of the results of several psychological studies and exaggerates the strength of the relationships. For what seems to be the original study on which the "map" was mainly based, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/

1 person likes this.
  13. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

I corrected it in the other thread. The two threads are similar. -shrug- I am not the first to mix them up, but thanks for pointing it out. I pointed it out in the other thread. A day or so ago. Good luJc okie.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Thanks. If you're interested in the original studies on which the "map" was mainly based, I think it's https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23418419 I think it's safe to say that the creators of the map were over-generalizing.

15. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Thanks okie, they are over generalizing and I question how many brains they did mris on and how they selected the people. This is very important because the test can be manuipulated if the selection was not random and natural.

most preople vote for what they hope is the best of the bad. It is a crap shoot imho.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Did you read any of the report? Took me 2 minutes to find what you asked for using Okie's link.

1, 2
    Here's some more:

17. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

I really wish you would stop altering your font color and your copy, paste. It makes it hard to read and it also makes a mess when you are quoted. It just makes what you take the time to write, or copy and paste in many cases, ignored.

I looked at the second link, not the first one because it would not and will not load for me,

1 person likes this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Above post of MeAgain reads perfectly in the mobile version.

19. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Yeah white on a light pink reads perfectly fine. Are you following me asmo? I love you too, bro!

I don't know what the Mobile version is but do we need to change to a Mobile version to read what meagain writes?

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

His quote looks white and dark purple to me, it looks the same as where you quoted asmo

1 person likes this.