Isn't This The Most Ridiculous Thing In History?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Jan 25, 2017.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'd like to start a debate stating that electing Donald Trump as President of the United States is the most ridiculous event in the history of mankind.

2. I think you're right, but also wrong. If we knew the real causes of things that happen, I'm willing to wager that most of history is probably ridiculous. But yeah, Donald Trump is the most ridiculous.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Id say Rodrigo Dutertes' election *and policies) trumps Trumps.

but yes id have to agreee that the way americans are acting lately is completely rediculous...

the whole north korea Kim Jong Morons thing comes in a close second or third

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

"Do you think... that men have always massacred each other, as they do today? Have they always been liars, cheats, traitors, brigands, weak, flighty, cowardly, envious, gluttonous, drunken, grasping, and vicious, bloody, backbiting, debauched, fanatical, hypocritical, and silly?"

- Candide by Voltaire

I forgot about this book until I saw this thread and it popped immediately in my mind. I recommend it, it put things into perspective for me during the second Bush administration. Donald Trump is super ridiculous, but humans have always been ridiculous. I wouldn't say he is the most ridiculous, although it is a different level of ridiculous due to him being our first reality tv star turned demagogue.

2 people like this.
  5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I dunno, let's make a dozen more Trump threads
    And a few more anti-Trump protest threads

6 people like this.
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Don't forget to add some more pro/anti-BLM threads while we're at it.

1 person likes this.
  7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

But think of the scale of things! They're Presidents of the Philippines and North Korea, Trump is President of the United States! The most powerful country in the world has elected as its President a celebrity billionaire "reality" show star! America has lost its common sense!

2 people like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, it's probably not even the most ridiculous thing in american history, let alone of whole mankind. But its hard to measure. I would say the first world war is a worthy nomination in modern history.

9. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

In my 60 yrs on this earth, this is definitely the most ridiculous thing that has happened to the almighty USofA.

Its embarrassing...AND this narcissist sociopath is dangerous. He is much more than a reality tv star now...he is over (what I've been told) is the most powerful military in the world - and his stupid ass can't even handle "mean" tweets with maturity. smh

Ridiculous is a good word for it.

And ALL of you people that don't live here in the US, having to deal with the fall-out of this - my thoughts on your opinions wouldn't even fill up a Barbie tea cup saucer.

10. Asmodean

Of course. A lot of those people are aware of that. Sometimes its better to laugh at some thing than to cry though (and this president makes it easy to do the first).

1 person likes this.
  11. Asmodean

Oh i read it wrong! Lynn: we have to deal with certain consequences of his decisions too.

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think that President Trump's policies iterate that a rift exists in the U.S. He's playing to his constituents, who are anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, etc. Everyone can agree that there is a problem, but not everyone can agree on the solution. President Trump's solution is sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you ask me. I think much of the policy being introduced will be reversed to a large extent by the next administration, or the one after that depending on who gets elected when.

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

You're right...and I (sort of) apologize. The ones making constant fun and acting like it is just a great big joke...well, its early in the day I'll just stop there.

The fact that the rest of the world IS INDEED going to have to deal with the fall-out of his (ridiculous) decisions is actually quite scary. Perhaps Russia won't find him so appealing when he has his hand on the switch for the nuclear bomb because one of his buddies in the Kremlin pisses him off.

Here - and EVERYWHERE - need to fear his environment killing, non-climate-change beliefs.

So, I do apologize to you, Asmo. :)

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

He hasn't made his favorite horse a senator yet but there is still time. :)

2 people like this.
  15. Asmodean

I see as much americans do this as foreigners.

But apology accepted (id say they were not even needed :))! Some people on here that made fun of other peoples concerns regarding this president have annoyed me too.

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think it's likely that it's going to cause us problems here in the UK, as the govt here are eager to cosy up to DT in the hope that America will save us when we leave the EU.

I know some think of the man a a joke - and in a way he is, but a dangerous joke for planet earth, human rights, world peace etc etc

I doubt his election will do much to restore America's already battered reputation in the world.

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I agree 100%.

I also think it is pitiful to laughable (in a crying way) that the gov't over there in the UK thinks that jackass is going to save anybody...but maybe that daughter he wants to date and his son. Down in my heart, I truly feel sorry for Melania...the way he treats her in public is simply not what many of us (WITH MANNERS) are used to seeing from our leader.

He is very dangerous, and dang if I can comprehend EVERYBODY not seeing this. :-(

edit: out of likes BBB, or I would have liked your post (and Asmo's)

1 person likes this.
  18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It's not easy to understand how this person has come to be the most powerful leader in the world, and even though we have our own problems here, I do feel for you progressive Americans.

The govt here would enter a pact with the devil himself if it suited their agenda.

1 person likes this.
  19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I don’t think he is a joke I think he’s a sly, vindictive, bully who has an overinflated opinion of his own worth.

Such people are dangerous.

2 people like this.
  20. Asmodean

He's like that bad guy in Back to the future.