Science Pertaining Photo Of The Day Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Moonglow181, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This photo was in my Starwalk photos yesterday, and it was the highlight of my day....I love astronomy and anything pertaining to space....so here is the photo of my day ....If you contribute a photo, please explain it, so we can all know what we are looking at and learn.....with any science.....

This only took me almost an hour to get into photobucket to post here today....

" Arp 299: Black Holes in Colliding Galaxies
    Image Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, GSFC, Hubble, NuSTAR

Explanation: Is only one black hole spewing high energy radiation -- or two? To help find out, astronomers trained NASA's Earth-orbiting NuSTAR and Chandra telescopes on Arp 299, the enigmatic colliding galaxies expelling the radiation. The two galaxies of Arp 299 have been locked in a gravitational combat for millions of years, while their central black holes will soon do battle themselves. Featured, the high-resolution visible-light image was taken by Hubble, while the superposed diffuse glow of X-ray light was imaged by NuSTAR and shown in false-color red, green, and blue. NuSTAR observations show that only one of the central black holes is seen fighting its way through a region of gas and dust -- and so absorbing matter and emitting X-rays. The energetic radiation, coming only from the galaxy center on the right, is surely created nearby -- but outside -- the central black hole's event horizon. In a billion years or so, only one composite galaxy will remain, and only one central supermassive black hole. Soon thereafter, though, another galaxy may enter the fray.

Transparent Science: Browse 1,350+ codes in the Astrophysics Source Code Library
    Tomorrow's picture: dumbbell in space"

I LOVE this photo and will paint it.....Happiness is....i was thinking of putting this photo there, too....Happ

iness is science....especially astronomy for me.....

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Gravity without mass is the source of gravity's rainbow,
    Where two lovers merge within the infinite horizon,
    Where what is missing from this picture,
    Can replace anything it might possess,
    And every direction becomes up.