Uk Supreme Court Says Pm May Must Get Parliament Approval To Trigger Brexit

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Would you care to expand on that Soph Tquis? That's certainly not how I see things at the moment.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It's freedom.No need to expand on that.

The Judiciary need to stop kicking the ball around and let the Government get on with Brexit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Joshua Tree

Well yes the government will be free to do what it likes after Brexit, without being moderated by EU law and the European Court of Human Rights.

As far as individual freedom goes though I think the reverse is true. May is implementing further powers of surveillance over us, including phone calls, texts and internet use. We have already lost the right to silence, and in theory you can be arrested in the street if there are three or more of you as an illegal protest if you have not previously informed and got consent from the police. It is also illegal to hide your face on a public demonstration. We have the most CCTV cameras of anywhere in the world. When you add all these powers up, the potential for misuse and abuse is to me frightening.

1 person likes this.
  4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Add to that a probable bonfire of workers rights, loss of environmental protection, loss of a market of 500 million people, and now the need to suck up to Trump.

1 person likes this.
  5. BlackBillBlake

I generally agree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure removing the tories by force is either likely or desirable, as probably anyone with the force to do it would be even worse.

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

8. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

2003. US invades Iraq, destroys the entire country's infrastructure and slaughters hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Breaks into homes, takes people away to torture camps, leaves thousands of homeless orphans who they then shoot when they start throwing rocks at the them. Captures their leader and hangs him on live television.

2017. US bans all Iraqi nationals from entering the US.

9. Rots in hell

10. Joshua Tree

1 person likes this.
  11. The Walking Dickhead

^^fake news

1 person likes this.
  12. Rots in hell

Ok then Its 498 to 114 Wether you Click on it or not ( Pretty Close Eh ? )

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I guess they conducted that vote and all but 100 or so MPs (I hope that is the proper acronym) voted to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - the formal process for leaving the EU. Not overly excited about this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/europe/article-50-brexit-parliament-vote/

Here is an image of Great Britain vs. British Isles vs. the United Kingdom, for those of you who like me don't really get who is doing what with Brexit.

[​IMG]

My limited understanding is that the group identified in the picture as "Great Britain" has decided to leave the European Union. What is at stake if I may ask? I just am totally in the dark over here in the States. The only thing that is ever on the news or internet (wherever you look really) is President Trump. I'm fearful that GB has something to lose by leaving the EU. =-(

14. Joshua Tree

I think Disunited Kingdom would be closer to the truth.

What we lose is access to the free trade zone within the EU countries. What we gain is complete sovereignty over our law making. Part of being in the EU meant there were EU-wide laws on areas such as the environment, employment and human rights. We also gain full control over our borders, which means we can stop EU nationals from immigrating here if we like - that was the main reason people voted for Brexit. A lot of people in this country believed that immigration levels were too high.

1 person likes this.
  15. BlackBillBlake

The Republic of Ireland isn't part of the United Kingdom, but the rest, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland form one country, the United Kingdom, which has voted to leave the EU.

It's a very complex set of issues that are involved, and it's impossible to condense it down to a few lines. Check out the Brexit thread - there's a lot about it on there

.http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/474771-brexit/

I think leaving is a big mistake - but the vote said leave and the Tory govt want to push it through ASP. It's now really all about what kind of a deal we get in terms of future trade with Europe.And how much damage will be inflicted on our already fragile economy.

I'd say we do have a lot to loose, and it doesn't bode well for the future of the EU as a whole, as right wing parties in other countries such as France and Germany are cheered by the Brexit vote. In France there's talk of a referendum by the right.

People who voted for brexit are of all kinds, but a proportion were voting as a kind of protest against the status quo which they feel ignores their concerns over things like immigration. It's not quite the same as Trump voters in the US but linked. The populist right here all backed brexit.

1 person likes this.
  16. Joshua Tree

I thought of another obvious power we will lose, namely that of course we will lose both all our MEPs (Members of the European Parliament) and all of our EU Commissioners. We will no longer have any direct political influence within the EU.

By the way, in responding to soulcompromise's post I was not trying to argue that leaving the EU was a good idea. Although I feel in principle it gives us more democracy to leave, I voted against Brexit because I could see the Tories being in power for years to come, and as Bill has suggested I am sure there will be a bonfire of human, social, environmental and employment rights under May. My problem with the EU is that too much power is in the hands of the Commissioners, and not enough in the hands of the MEPs. If the EU had shown signs of being amenable to reforming that situation I think it would be an excellent enterprise. But the evidence pre-Brexit seemed to me to point the other way.

1 person likes this.
  17. BlackBillBlake

I thought that you probably voted remain.

I agree that the EU is very far from perfect, but the way to change that would have been to stay in and press for democratic reform. We could have led the way. Instead we'll simply loose all influence.

And when you have a tory MP saying we can remove EU environmental protection and have standards similar to those in India, it must give some cause for concern.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-safety-standards-workers-rights-jacob-rees-mogg-a7459336.html?utm_campaign=crowdfire&utm_content=crowdfire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#747110106593103873-tw#1486211880357

18. The Walking Dickhead

The only reason the EU isn't on it's knees begging the UK not to leave is because if it did then it would appear weak, and that would encourage more nations to leave.

The whole thing is fucked. The UK is fucked. Everything is fucked.

Anyone who thinks handing over sovereign control to a small group of unelected men in suits on huge salaries is a good diea is insane, tories or no tories.

19. BlackBillBlake

The only difference post brexit will be that the men in suits will be British with an elitist right wing agenda. We don't really have 'democratic control' now. You can vote every 5 years for a shit or a worse shit, and that's about it.

20. The Walking Dickhead

The way things are going in other countries in Europe it probably wont be long before the EU commission is a group of men in suits with an elitist right wing agenda.

Let's get the fuck out while we still can is what I say, then we can deal with the tories.