Uk Supreme Court Says Pm May Must Get Parliament Approval To Trigger Brexit

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-article-idUSKBN1580NY?il=0

2. Joshua Tree

The Liberal Democrats are now calling for a second referendum to approve the deal put before Parliament:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-second-eu-referendum-liberal-democrats-tim-farron-nick-clegg-a7542976.html

3. Joshua Tree

I think the Supreme Court's decision is right. Harking back to some archaic 'Royal Prerogative' from the Middle Ages or whenever it was seems ridiculously undemocratic.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I wonder if this means the judges are still 'enemies of the people' as the Daily Mail claimed after the last ruling?

5. BlackBillBlake

100% agreement. I was speaking ironically. Maybe that didn't come over in my post.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Did I hear that they're considering a second vote? That would really be something! I can't imagine the U.S. government doing something like that. One of my initial concerns when Brexit was proposed was that the public over there did not understand what they were voting for. They were simply blinded by prejudice. This was before I had read up on the facts about the silly amounts of immigration happening in Europe, and all that comes with that. Well, anyhow... are they having a second vote? I'm not having the easiest time following the language in the OP. :)

7. Joshua Tree

What the Supreme Court has ruled is that Parliament will have a vote on whether to enforce our leaving the EU. Parliament is made up of around 600+ MPs who represent different parts of the country. The general public won't have a second vote as things stand. I hope that explains your question.

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

No need to apologize - I didn't make myself very clear. But let's not forget the Express too. Another contemptible rag.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Thank you. So if they don't enforce the Brexit, what happens? :)

10. BlackBillBlake

Just to add that the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party are calling for second referendum after the deal for brexit is on the table. I think this should happen as many people were misled by the leave campaign who told many blatant lies.

Brexit is something like an act of collective self-harming.

11. Joshua Tree

There'll probably be riots on the streets. I'm not joking either.

12. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The people have already Voted there is no need to have another vote
    Cameron Should have Kept his Promise instead of Bailing out
    The **** should Be in Jail for that ! [​IMG]

13. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

The referendum was all a ploy to slide May in the back door. Brexit was never on the table at any time.

But if you don't vote you have no right to complain, right?

14. The Walking Dickhead

The vop

Maybe you're right.

Whatever happens, let's just hope this is the final nail in the coffin for the tories and they call an early election, and Scotland votes again on independence and wins before Corbyn gets in. I like Corbyn but there's no point in going with that if we're just going to end up with the tory bastards in power again at some point in the future.

1 person likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, just hurry up and do it, cut the cord already

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

One has to be in the EU to express an opinion?

That sounds like commie talk

1 person likes this.
  17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh ok, so basically when you said im not in an EU member country why am I expressing an opinion?.....really means I dont agree with you so why am I expressing an opinion?

Cut the cord the EU is a bureaucratic ball and chain

18. BlackBillBlake

You're perfectly free to say what you want as far as I'm concerned, even if I don't agree.

The UK could have chosen not to leave, but to seek to reform the EU, making it less un-democratic, bureaucratic etc. Instead we'll simply loose all influence in Europe, and probably, we'll end up paying a heavy price.

19. BlackBillBlake

My guess is that Scotland will have another vote and end up leaving the UK.That's assuming you Scots have any sense.

I don't think Corbyn has any chance of getting elected, so probably, England will have a tory government for a long time to come.

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Change is good.Everything is much better now.

21. The Walking Dickhead

I don't understand how the tories managed to scrape in to power. Oh aye, because Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. And people are too lame to vote for any other party asides from the two main ones that have consistently fucked everything up for as long as I can remember. How on earth Scotland didn't vote itself free from this shit is beyond me, the whole thing must have been rigged. Most Scottish people I know want independence, and most of the people they know... The tories are a shower of fucking criminals who need to be removed from power by force.

2 people like this.