Wolves

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by barefootconservative, Jan 15, 2017.

1. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

My favorite animal is the wolf. They are so beautiful and sweet. Especially the puppies, they're so cute! I hate people who have the nerve to kill them for sport.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I've seen wolves in the zoo,but they are still like semi-mythical creatures to me.I don't know much about them.What is their natural habitat,for example?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hello. :)

I too love the wolf. The wolf for as long as I remember has been my spirit animal from the moment we gazed each other when I was a child. I remember no fear, curiosity.

I started life on a farm as a child, wolves preyed every now and again on our livestock. The old folks would get rid of them. They aren't pests anymore in Bavaria.

We will get wolves from Italian alps and from the Carparthian forests. I often wolf spot and track on a weekly basis while it is winter and check all the hunting local sites and pages for any sightings. There have been a few this season.

I pretty much have my own wolf inside my German Shepherd. He's just a big puppy really, but you can tell by his anciety that he's very much a family/pack produced animal with his social antics.

I would think in wolf kingdom he'd either be Alpha or most likely just a pain in the ass that be chased around all the time lol. Wouldn't be surprised if he was runt material but if he was, I don't want to see what happens if he ever met his kin-paws. I think he'd rip them to shreds.

1 person likes this.
  4. barefootconservative

They live in forests mostly.

5. barefootconservative

Aww. That's so sweet.

6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Are wolves dangerous to humans.What is their level of threat? Like dogs or what?

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Wolves are hunters. Damn good pack hunters.
    Risk to humans is mainly if food is involved, and therefore proximity.

When I met My Love, we were camping. One night, the surrounding pack (mostly 1/2 wolf/dog hybrids and one 98 percent wolf mama) started howling. One to our left, another to the right, eventually filling in what sounded like the better part of a circle.
    It was a social call out.
    Every hair on my body was standing up. I will never forget the sound.

Since then, I've only heard one or two usually distant. The sound is different from coyotes.

1 person likes this.
  8. barefootconservative

So.......youre saying you like wolves too?

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Whenever I have tracked a wolf it observed from a distance. They're curious creatures but they aren't /that/ curious in terms of they want to come up and sniff me. They'll scurry off when you're too close. I just like to watch their behavior. I watch a lot of animals like this. I won't film or photograph them, I just need to observe with my own eyes.

I'm more attached to the lonesome wolves, maybe the runts or the ones who have strayed from the pack. Normally they're solo wolves here. Very unlikely to find a whole pack/family of them together.

The solos/greys seem to just wonder over looking for new territory or some place quiet. They don't tend to hang around a location they may be here one evening and gone by morning. Reminds me of like a great white shark just cruising the coastline looking for food. I regard them as solo hunters too and lonely.

1 person likes this.
  10. barefootconservative

Very true. They are timid, but are quite a sight.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

One thing I can tell you, wolves aren't "sweet."
    They deserve more respect than that.

12. barefootconservative

no I know they're fierce and protective, but when I say sweet, I mean they're not as mean as many people seem to think.

13. barefootconservative

Oh yes, they are wonderful animals. Especially the puppies. They're so cute! But they're also really big.

14. barefootconservative

Well, it's kind of complicated, but I'll attempt an explanation. So, a wolf is generally a shy animal. They will do their best to avoid direct contact with humans, as we are absolutely vile and dangerous, much more so than them. Now if it's a rabid wolf, those are dangerous ones, as the rabies diseases has screwed with their minds. Now, if you come in contact with a wolf, definitely be extremely cautious, as having one around often means there's a pack nearby. So be cautious, but you don't have to think: WOLF! SHOOT IT! Don't hurt the poor thing unless it poses a direct threat. They usually aren't a direct threat, though. If one ever approaches you, be on alert, but you should also know the signs of a threat: tail between the legs; snarling; behavior that suggests IT'S feeling threatened. If it's just calmly approaching, try not to scare it, as that can lead to aggression. Let it approach, as it's merely curious and wishes to find out more about the funny looking thing (you) it's just spotted. They aren't schemers, they don't set up a ploy pretending to be curious just to line up an attack.

So in summary, be cautious, be alert, be ready for something to go wrong, but don't act rashly.

Most importantly, be extremely cautious around the pups. They are extremely protective of the pups, so don't mess with them. If one of the pups approaches you, let it explore, but basically pretend you notice nothing, so the parent can retrieve the pup without any trouble or sense of threat.

So their threat level to humans? Extremely low compared to the threat we pose to them.

15. candys

candys Visitor

I also like wolves. For me they're one of the most elusive and fascinating creatures. Recently I found a live webcam https://worldcams.tv/animals/international-wolf-center from The International Wolf Center in Minnesota. It's interesting to observe these amazing beast. I noticed that they have a tendency to hide from cameras but I can watch them moving about outside of the trees from time to time.

rollingalong likes this.
  16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i know someone who worked at the wolfe center in Muskoka.....after a few moths she thought she would pet one while putting out food.........after she was released from the hospital she was fired for stupidity

17. barefootconservative

That's right, never pet it unless it has clearly allowed you to get near.

rollingalong likes this.
  18. Astray

Astray Visitor

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I recently visited a wolf preserve around my area. Very interesting.
    They take in wolves that have been removed from private individuals for various reasons.
    It's illegal to own a pure wolf in the U.S but some states allow a 98%/2% ownership of a wolf/dog.
    There are currently 250,000 wolves and wolf/dogs in captivity the U.S. but 75% die within one year. Wolves are extremely hard to raise and maintain.

One reason is they're pack animals which means they can't be left at home while you go off to work or play. They consider you part of their pack and become psychotic if they can't see or be you at all times. They are very hard to house train and very hard to discipline as they may take that as a challenge to be pack leader.

A wolf can jump a six foot fence or tunnel under it with ease.
    At the sanctuary they have a double row of eight foot tall link fence with ten feet buried under ground horizontally to discourage tunneling.
    Regardless they say the wolves can just climb over the fencing. The only thing stopping them is the fact that they are very territorial and don't want to leave their enclosures. They had one climb out and then climb back in several hours later.
    Wolves can't be removed from their pack and a new member is hard to be introduced into a pack.

They have bite force of 1,200 pounds. The average force reached by a German Shepard, Pit Bull, or Rottweiler is 269 pounds.
    The sanctuary feeds them whole frozen turkeys, which they crush with one bite; horse, cow, and bull meat, or road killed deer. A single wolf can pick up a full grown deer and carry it away.

The keepers never enter a pen alone as in the summer the wolves can't be seen due to the underbrush and they are never heard if they don't want to be. The only tell is the moving of the grass. A wolf can bring down the strongest man by pushing on or grasping one leg.

Wolf Sanctuary of PA - Wolf Sanctuary of PA

Here's a longer one that goes into more depth.

Astray and McFuddy like this.
Tags: