Severe Social Anxiety/phobia

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by MissMacabre, Jan 13, 2017.

1. MissMacabre

MissMacabre Members

Anyone have this issue? I'm in my eArly 30s and have struggled with this my entire life. I've few friends (2), and have never had a job. I'm on disability bc of it. Advice on how others manage with this disorder??

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

What are you currently doing to manage it?

3. Captain Allan

Captain Allan Members

I'm not sure if this is much help but one of my closest relatives suffers from it too. Its not the end of the world

4. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Hi, first of all, where are you from? What country? Maybe there are local groups available to you that will help with this that are free. Joining a bicycle club where they all bike ride together... in getting out and doing something in a group. Where you can ride with people and talk or listen...

Do you have any interests? Outside interests? Sports you might like to try or games you like to play, activities you want to do, try?

At 30 I felt like that for a while. I pulled myself out.

And like freeme asked... ;)

5. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Identify the Core Belief
    Identifying a core belief is like solving a mystery of the illusions in your mind. You have to follow some clues to get down to the hidden beliefs in the unconscious. Let’s use the example of fear of public speaking. Fear of public speaking isn’t a core belief. It is an emotional reaction to a belief.

Read more http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/writings_falsebeliefs.htm

6. Lvlygrl

Lvlygrl Members

I know exactly what you're talking about. I suffered from this as well along with other situations that would trigger my anxiety. No one can ever fully understand what it feels like until they're the ones going through it.
    I have an anxiety disorder along with depression. It's all been hereditary thanks to my wonderfully messed up family...lol. But I did get help, I saw a psychologist and 3 counselors and have been on a whole heap of different medications. You can't rely on medication alone, not without the help of professionals. It took me over a year before I found the right medication that helped with most of my problems. I still have issues with things, but I have a better handle on them then before.
    The most important first step, which you've taken, is asking for help. Now you need to find the right doctor with the compassion for others in this area. Without professional help, it's just going to get worse and it'll completely debilitate you.
    Be strong, hang in there and know that you deserve the best possible help that's out there.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Hi MissMacbre,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this.

You might want to check out this thread http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/478672-acupressure-self-massage-for-treating-depression-and-insomnia/

and also this one
    http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/458019-treating-depression-and-anxiety/

A meditation practice might be helpful to you.

If you find yourself in a social situation and your are feeling anxiety, it may help to tell people that you have social anxiety. That might help to put everyone more at ease, especially if the people that you are with are supportive and understanding.

Hope that things can get better soon!