Sometimes I Think God Is Just Something We Think About In Our Heads.

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Gangster Guru, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Wind and gravity can both be experienced directly via our senses. Radio waves, I don't believe in them like in something spiritual/abstract. I know they are there because of scientific explanations. Slightly different kind of 'believing' than a spiritual belief. Although to be fair: if we haven't been busy with detecting radio waves directly we didn't took notice of the actual fact. Well we did when it got explained to us/we looked up the technical details about it, but indirectly.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes but wind,gravity and radio waves are detectable.So far no one has found a "God frequency".

3. Asmodean

Only our thoughts yes. Not what we think about. Unless its abstract of course!

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

problem with that is you are starting with the assumption that our sensory apparatus and data processing capabilities afford us an accurate idea/understanding of this thing known as "God".

and that idea applies to Asmo's post above.
    We simply may not have the capacity to fully comprehend/sense/percieve "God", so we do the best we can with anthropomorphic allegories and explanations.

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Even if God is just something we think about in our heads,is it still worth believing in?.Even if we take our messiahs for idols,are they still worth believing in because of what they represent?

6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Nope, recent research on the brain has established that the mind and brain routinely substitute for each other at the most fundamental level of their organization and Roger Penrose's theory of quantum mechanically induced microwave vibrations producing memories and brain waves has receive two experimental confirmations. It's down the rabbit hole dude where you better grab your ass with both hands and hold on because where your mind ends and the rabbit hole begins has steadily become more debatable for the last century.

7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Your beliefs are invisible too, just so much blue smoke and mirrors dude! According to quantum mechanics which form the basis of modern science, there's nothing substantial at the bottom of a huge pile of crap!

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

What if God exists only if we think about him as a thought in our heads.Maybe this brings the spirit into existence.

9. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

If there is a God frequency, it would be a humans spirituality needs. Also holy spirit. There are millions in this world with 100% faith in all countries, regardless of race or culture. A peaceful worldwide brotherhood. Believing that God, is not only thier God, but also thier father and friend.

10. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Very deep
    You underestimate your existence

11. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

I think what he says is true. There is nothing substantial about our thoughts. The BIG problem we have at this point in our ( Homo Sapiens ) evolution, is that we OVER estimate our existence.

12. Asmodean

Invocation. Not that crazy. About your question regarding is it worth believing in a God (or a whole pantheon). I would say that depends on what the believer is getting out of it. Obviously it is to some.

13. Asmodean

Not sure. It depends what we conclude out of that. It doesn't have to be a problem acknowledging we are a curious phenomenom compared to other animals.

14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

No, I over-estimate my own beliefs.

15. Asmodean

^
    Very honest ;) And good to know :p

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

If we insert Flying Spaghetti Monster in place of God, how does your sentence read any different?
    I haven't a clue what it is you are pointing to in either case.

17. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

I agree with this. We are a curious phenomena, but we are constantly changing and there are so many people who believe they are a permanent self, which is totally untrue, and reeks havoc thereby.

18. Asmodean

Really? It's so clear. Maybe you disagree with it, but what he wrote is not that difficult. He says that if you find your ultimate meaning about your existence in logic and rationality than those things (and how they are communicated, namely by the use of words) are your God. I would say if you see God only as a personification of something (like good, or the creating force of the universe, etc. etc.) and you do not have any kind of personification or divinity/theistic concept connected to the stuff of which you derive such meaning, I also understand you would disagree with Okie's statement.

19. Asmodean

I have the same self since I was a baby, despite of all the changes I went through. Not sure how much havoc is wreaked (sp :D) by this conviction?

20. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

I think we all ( humans ) have a sense of self. Can you tell me were it resides? In your brain, heart, stomach, or toes, etc...? I think it is an illusion, and we continue to justify it and feed it. We can stop imagining that we have one, and become interested in the universe without having to make it fit in with our false sense of self. If one believes that they are imbued with a unique self, fine, I have no problem with it, until they use "it" to over power, and use other people.

1 person likes this.