Sometimes I Think God Is Just Something We Think About In Our Heads.

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Gangster Guru, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sometimes I think God is just something we think about in our heads.Other times I see God everywhere and in everything.Reality remains the same regardless.

2 people like this.
  2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

God used to be more widely considered synonymous with the One Truth which Socrates described as the memory of God that none can remember in all its glory. I'm agnostic but, if there is a God, I assume they are also synonymous with the greater context of our lives or greater truth of our lives that, as much as any decisions we might make, determines who we can and cannot become. I may never be able to fly like superman, become an astronaut, or be the next Einstein, and it is the greater context of my life that makes those things more or less easy to achieve and likely to happen.

The Pale Buddha is famous for saying, "The past is only a memory, the future is only a dream" but life as we know it would be impossible without both memories and dreams. Bereft memories there's nothing to discuss and nothing to be done about it with, at best, everything being deja vu all over again while, without any awareness, there's still nothing to discuss and nothing to be done about and you may as well be talking to the nearest wall or arguing with a recording. As far as I'm concerned, reality without dreams is just somebody's nightmare, while dreams without reality is someone's else's fantasy with instant karma ensuring reality always catches up to us in our dreams and, likewise, our dreams and nightmares will eventually catch up with reality. Stay awake long enough and anyone will hallucinate because reality and dreams, memories and awareness, the past and the future, are like up and down and cannot ultimately be distinguished from one another in a recursion of the law of identity where our authenticity itself and living our dreams always depends upon our making fewer distinctions between who we are and what we are doing when instant karma is gonna getcha baby!

3. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

For every person on the Earth, the notion of "God" is different. Not even devout Muslims, or Christians, or Jews, or Druids, or whatever group claims to understand God, conceive exactly the same notions. Notions about everything we conceive in our minds are temporary, and ever changing. When the mind is still and empty of thought making, our original nature as a human being becomes evident in our whole body. We are not separate from all of nature or any part of this mysterious life and universe we have come to "exist", and what a short life it is. So, I think that you are correct "God Is Just Something We Think About In Our Heads"
    That is a very important understanding. Many people do not know that their belief in God is being manufactured in their brain. They BELIEVE that some being , usually a male symbol in the past 2000 years, really exists, like their car, or the person they're having sex with. When all through that time they are make believing, life goes on without them. Every moment everything is changing. To be aware that nothing is the same after a nanosecond of time, of which is a construct of our minds also, gives us a direct and spontaneous connection with it ALL. For me, that is what i have learned to do. Is be aware that I am making up this world and myself in my own mind, and then stop it as soon as possible. ( Some illusions are bigger than others ) :)

4. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've said it before but what the hell, I'll say it again:

Gods are the collective superegos of their sect members.

That's why there are so many conflicts, that's why God is on every side of every war...

"GOTT MIT UNS"

Watch a religious service and replace "God" with "our collective superego" or "our collective will".

A collective will of a large sect can be a very powerful force for whatever that collective's agenda might be.

Thy will be done.

scratcho likes this.
  5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

We, the human race, are God (and Satan too for that matter.) That is, we are becoming God. Consider all the powers that have been attributed to our gods throughout history; generally speaking, we gave the gods abilities that everyone wished they themselves had. Now consider our own abilities at the present time that have become possible through science and technology. And we've only begun to scratch the surface; our powers will grow immensely in the coming centuries.

It's awesome and frightening at the same time. Will the 'God' in us win? Or 'Satan'? It's been a kind of stalemate between the two up till now, but I don't think the conflict can go on forever; one or the other will prevail. If we get even the slightest bit more violent then we are doomed. It will take all the wisdom, empathy and compassion we possess to see us through to our ultimate destiny, whatever that may be.

6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

on earth, as it is in our fantasies...

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not every theist or their set of theistic beliefs is part of a collective ;)

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Most humans clearly have a strong desire and tendency to belong to some kind of larger collective. The BELIEF that they are right also seems to be far more important than if they are actually right.

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

We are social animals and Darwin had it wrong, sex is never about survival of the fittest, but the most creative.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I view theodicy as a weak response to issues of God and it follows that I don't think we could "outthink" God in terms of goodness and power, if it was a conscious entity.

So I don't really see a place for the concept of God in trying to rationalize or logically apprehend reality, I'm somewhat ambivalent to the notion of God representing some abstract force or many of the other alternatives to the Personal God.

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't understand the syllogism here. What does our inability to outhink God in terms of goodness and power have to do with have to do with the concept of God in trying to rationalize or logically apprehend reality?

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Meaning that I place value on the faculties of rationality and logic, therefore our potential to suppose more good or something more powerful renders God a meaningless concept.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's all in your heart. You read about god. Mistake. You need to read about all gods, from all walks of life and culture. You see a pattern eventually. Disregard the pattern of similarity, but regard the pattern of characteristics. Now study their (gods) characteristics. Are they familiar by any chance? If so then you're looking at yourself. :) it's all in the heart.

I've like, gone beyond believing that all gods exist in a physical realm I just can't see it and have never experienced it, but most here will know I'm very cultural with my religion. I'm German, my ties are NOT with the gods in distant sands. They are with me in my land and my wood. My continent. My wind.

I don't have much in common with Jesus, Mohammad or other prophets. Never really got them, they aren't German, they aren't me. So they don't jump out at me or to me. I dismiss them fairly quickly. I mean Jesus drank wine, he's aight. But Jesus, Christianity isn't Irminsul. Irminsul ist Irminsul. I'm one those folk that has the nickname, lives by the nickname.

Put yourself in your gods shoes and try to make sense of it. Would you do that? Whatever he did would you do that? Because I do everything my gods do. They are my characteristic. When I'm a brute like Thor I'm as dumb as a mule.. like Thor. And I'm an Imp, a craft little Imp which gives me so much credibility in the eyes of Loki that is scares me to death.

I've got my wisdom too, my beauty, love and sexual desire. I am powerful though not /all/ powerful. I good heathen knows their limits and the limit of limit. Even if I could beat Thor in an arm wrestle, I'll still die. And although Thor can overpower anything, he'll still die.

God isn't the end all knowledge and this is something I'm coming to deals with myself. God still needs god, wisdom, a boss even. Is god really GOD, or does god strive for knowledge of higher God?

You are everything and you have every potential to reach as far as you need to go or want to go in life. That's something god has given you, but now it's not about god. He can't protect you and he won't guide you. But his teachings are all there. Learn it. Study it. Learn FROM it. Every bit of knowledge in any book came from somebody with a reason for a reason. :) they too, took a path to enlightenment and it's all there for you to read and share.

1 person likes this.
  14. Asmodean

For you personally. Seems not a given for every person who values rationality and logic.

15. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

God is a title..there are many Gods

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Rationality and logic are certainly important, but meaning is in the eye of the beholder, and God is ultimate meaning. If you value reason and logic above everything else, then Logos is your God.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ok.. I don't understand the point of your response.

Attempting to look at this from an objective angle (realizing that we all have our own biases, opinions, etc) I don't know how one would could reason that God is omni- ______(fill in the quality) yet we possess the capacity to imagine qualities beyond that? It means that some part of our minds would be superior to God's capabilities, which suggests some sort of constraints placed on the supposed God.

. I'm sure there are people who value rationality and logic and also ascribe to some of the claims of theodicy, but most of the arguments of theodicy make it sound like they turn God into a comic book character. "He has the power to do so, but such and such caused him to limit his powers..."

18. Asmodean

OkieFreak said it better. I kind of ment the same.

19. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I believe in wind, gravity and radio waves although invisible.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

uhmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't everything we think just inside our heads?

heeh2 and Mountain Valley Wolf like this.