Baby Boomers: Five Reasons They Are Our Worst Generation

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Openmind693, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

Almost everything the baby boomers did and do is motivated by their sense of entitlement. We now have ruined the economy, started endless wars, and have almost completely destroyed the earth's environment. Yep, it all happened on our watch.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/12/13/baby-boomers-worst-generation/#disqus_thread

2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

It was baby boomers who also gave us all the social advances made including ending the Jim Crow laws and, more recently, legalizing gay marriage. The sad truth is Americans have always been gluttons and whenever the good times roll we go to excesses. It was actually the baby boomers who insisted rivers like the Hudson catching fire was unacceptable and created the EPA and who limited the damage we've seen done and created things like superfund cleanup sites. In fact, the US is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world thanks to our national parks, while places like Russia have destroyed entire regions such as draining the fourth largest lake in the world, India has become one giant cesspool, and China has become so polluted the first thing people check before buying a home is the local water supply.

Boom and bust is how economics work in the world with largest manufactured export of the wealthiest country in the world being weapons. That's not to say the baby boomers haven't let us all down by not rising more to the occasion, but if the Soviet Union or China were leading the world it would be an even bigger disaster. In the case of the US, I don't see young people marching in the streets and demanding change. The sixties cultural revolution is something the current one laughs at preferring to blame the older generation to actually opting out of the system or trying to make real change for the better.

2 people like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh thank god someone is finally talking shit about a generation besides the millenials. It is so annoyingly trendy to hate on millenials right now

Which is stupid considering baby boomers raised us and gave us this awful world.

2 people like this.
  4. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, pushing the blame around rather than doing anything constructive.

2 people like this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

5 Reasons - a 56 year olde British view: -

The boomers have created liabilities that will take generations to pay off.
    - Finance is a corporate tool, for which the everyday people, - and not magnates, will be the never-ending prey
    These safety nets were created over the past few decades by boomers and for boomers, with little regard to the future
    - Without a Safety net, people become commodities
    They are the source of one of the biggest problems with Obamacare
    - Seems to me that ;Obama' care was a cure to remedy something that the system has failed to do for the impoverished for more than a single generation
    They are, thank God, the last reminders of our racist, homophobic, sexist past
    - Really? Sadly ,,,, That's definitely not the case - the youth of today are far more less conscientious
    We’re scrambling to fix the environment because of their excesses.
    - Again in 24/7 world of a throwaway society - the youth coulda, shoulda do more = the fure is theirs ... to make a difference
    :- Don't moan and talk about 'what is', and - like those who went before an broke down barriers - it is for them to dream and act on 'what could be' ... or we have learned nothing

1 person likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You old assholes it's all your fault!
    It's your fault I'm gay and it's your fault stuff happens!!

:toetap05:

7. carlo dee

carlo dee Members

Baby boomers are as diverse as any other large group of people. Some are environmentally conscious, some aren't. Some are loving, some aren't, etc. I'm stating the obvious here, but this particular thread is counter-productive. We wouldn't generalize about people due to race, religion, and so on, so is it acceptable to generalize according to age? Seems unfair.

1 person likes this.
  8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Is this the bizzaro world post? Why am I agreeing with wu.

1 person likes this.
  9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Bingo! I understand people can feel frustrated about the state of things today, but every generation has felt that. Midnight in Paris was a sleeper film that touched on this. And really, what use is hating on old people for the ills of the world? It's not like ALL of them had a hand in the decisions made by those who run things. As I have seen in this thread, why lay all the bad shit on your grandparents when so many wonderful and amazing things also resulted from the same generation. Consider that Baby Boomers have fed more people on this planet than any other generation. Who actually remembers famine? And that's just 1 thing.

10. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

That's the beauty of NOT having a polarized opinion. I rarely agree with Wu, but when Wu is right, I have to. Same as I feel about everyone here. The ones who are actually right anyway!

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Who actually can't forget famine? I get adverts on the television about it daily. :unsure:

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Yeah the ones who are wrong...like rolling. Fuck them.

13. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Aw come on now, be nice.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I was being nice. That dude is a major fuckwad.

1 person likes this.
  15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yeah, I don't really understand the millennial hate--we haven't had enough time to fuck things up as bad as the Boomers yet.

And Gen X has been pretty unremarkable. Perhaps they need a bit more time, too.

16. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

excuses excuses

17. Scratched

Scratched Members

One generation can't be blamed for the things that have happened. For every Boomer that did this horrible stuff, there's one who rejects it, wanted nothing of it and is totally upset with the way Governments handled "situations" (many of which were created by our Government).

Boomers were the first Hippies, we did what we could, protesting and spreading the world. But we were too young then, the elders didn't like the changes they were seeing. If you want to blame a generation, go after the previous one, whatever they call it.

2 people like this.
  18. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

That's the stupidest thing that I've every heard.

The generation before the Boomers did all of that and were protested by the boomers that were hippies like myself.

You believe that people who are 65 and who have worked for 47 years and who had paid all of that money into Social Security and their bosses who paid in the same amount, and people who paid into Medicare for 47 years should retire and live on nothing and get none of their money repaid to them. Wow. We'll just cut them off without a cent, so they can starve to death out in the cold, and use the money to pay off the national debt, which was created by the government and by large corporations. You are so cool!

I'm on Social Security and I have to live on almost nothing. Social Security is Well below the poverty line. I was lucky this year. We got a one dollar per month raise this year. That's $12.00 for the entire year. WOW! For 2016 the raise was $0. per month. This should ramp up to 1/4 of your rent by the time that you retire. Maybe you should write your congressman and get it changed so that you won't die. Give it a thought.

Los Angeles has no smog today because of pollution controls on vehicles, because of laws from the 60s. You couldn't see or breath there back in the 50s when I was a kid.

Hippies started recycling in the 60s that we now do today and it's the law, and that the trash companies now do and charge you money for. Hippies did it for free and some made money themselves, doing it. Note: recycling was done by everyone during World War II. It was a federal law.

WE started the Environmental Movement.

Ozone-destroying chemicals?
    By law you can't get refrigerators that use or have Freon. That's us in the 70s. It's used in car air conditioners but by law must be disposed by being pumped into a containment at a garage and then chemically combined in make it inert.

I refuse to buy plastic water bottles and junk food container like you and your generation does. I use zero of that. Do you?

I feel stupid bothering to explain this to you.

Why do I bother.

19. Scratched

Scratched Members

Looked it up. The generation before us was The Silent Generation. My folks are from it. They say those were the best times. Hmmm.
    No comment.

20. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I'm damn proud to be a Boomer.