Photo
- - - - -

Political And Socioeconomic Inequality In The U.s.: Who Governs?

democracy elites the 1% income inequality

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#11 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,352 posts

Posted December 14 2016 - 07:51 PM

The United States currently has active deployed troops in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Uganda, and Cameroon, and is engaged in drone strikes in Yemen (not to mention warships right off the coast of Yemen) and Pakistan.

While we aren't seeing the huge swell of ground troops in Iraq that we saw under Bush's war, overall American foreign policy hasn't exactly changed  that drastically between Democrat and Republican presidents...

http://www.theatlant...numbers/474531/

https://www.poynter....nd-bush/272471/

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#12 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted December 14 2016 - 09:06 PM

The United States currently has active deployed troops in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Uganda, and Cameroon, and is engaged in drone strikes in Yemen (not to mention warships right off the coast of Yemen) and Pakistan.

While we aren't seeing the huge swell of ground troops in Iraq that we saw under Bush's war, overall American foreign policy hasn't exactly changed  that drastically between Democrat and Republican presidents...

http://www.theatlant...numbers/474531/

https://www.poynter....nd-bush/272471/

The difference in scale is major.  Depends on what you mean by drastic. And the reduced scale was a subject of great controversy, and criticism of Obama throughout his terms in office. Obviously the elites didn't agree.

Edited by Okiefreak, December 14 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#13 storch

storch

• PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 08:07 AM

And the reduced scale was a subject of great controversy, and criticism of Obama throughout his terms in office. Obviously the elites didn't agree.

Was Obama right to withdraw troops from Iraq?

#14 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 08:15 AM

Was Obama right to withdraw troops from Iraq?

Does that question relate to the topic?

#15 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted December 15 2016 - 08:26 AM

The US is a modern day welfare state in the tradition of the Roman empire. Its a mixture of mob rule and oligopolies all controlled by an estimated 1,700 international conglomerates with all of them adopting the same essential Three Stooges strategy of see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil and constantly arguing over the definition of stupid and who is the better example. You can forget about Trump being in charge or anyone else because its basically a game of cutthroat poker where nobody can even sit at the table unless they are armed to the teeth. Hence, the reason when Trump was elected we started having riots in the streets and cops being executed in broad daylight because we have the best justice that money can buy and violence is the only other way to get what you want. 

The Roman emperors faced this same problem with the peasants routinely storming the palace in winter when ships couldn't get into the harbor and they started starving. The emperor Claudius doubled the number of aqueducts and built the first sheltered harbor so they could ensure the food and water kept flowing, but all of the Roman emperors had their own private Germanic guards because you can't trust anyone in a game of cutthroat poker and Claudius actually became emperor only because he was 32nd in line and all his relatives killed each other. Trump will do whatever the hell he can get away with, but even he knows if he threatens to destabilize the game by trying something stupid like dismantling NATO or crashes the economy like Bush he will be immediately removed from office or executed on the spot. The Russians influencing the election are already pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable by exposing how the game is rigged.

• OldDude2 likes this

#16 storch

storch

• PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 08:58 AM

Does that question relate to the topic?

According to your last two posts, yeah.  Why do you ask?

#17 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 08:58 AM

I turned on the news today. The Dow is about to reach 20,000 for the first time in history, and investors are all excited. The market started its dizzying climb the day after Trump was elected. Why is that? I'm no economist, but my guess would be that the financial class is expecting a big change in the way things have been run--especially major stripping away of all those nasty regulations to protect consumers and the environment and adoption of more tax breaks for the wealthy and big corporations. This suggests to me that the elite perceives real differences among the politicians who are supposed to be its puppets.

• MeAgain likes this

#18 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 09:04 AM

According to your last two posts, yeah.  Why do you ask?

Because I'm not really interested in whether or not Obama's decision to withdraw from Iraq was good or bad, but I am interested in the fact that he did something that many neocons and other elite elements criticized him for. Trump said he and Hillary were the "founders of ISIS" for getting out of a region that had been a quagmire for the U.S. and that Obama won an election promising to get out. Whether or not he got out too abruptly is an interesting question to debate, but unless it relates to the main point of presidents being puppets of the elite, I think its off topic.

#19 storch

storch

• PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted December 15 2016 - 09:11 AM

Because I'm not really interested in whether or not Obama's decision to withdraw from Iraq was good or bad, but I am interested in the fact that he did something that many neocons and other elite elements criticized him for. Trump said he and Hillary were the "founders of ISIS" for getting out of a region that had been a quagmire for the U.S. and that Obama won an election promising to get out. Whether or not he got out too abruptly is an interesting question to debate, but unless it relates to the main point of presidents being puppets of the elite, I think its off topic.

I told you that the president is simply the lead dog on the sled team.  That means that when the sled driver cracks its whip, the lead dog obeys.  Do you think that the president is the head of the ruling body who cracks the whip?

Edited by storch, December 15 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#20 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted December 15 2016 - 09:42 AM

Its not a dog sled, but a pack of wolves with the Alpha deciding how much they are allowed to fight among themselves.

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice