Is Rock Dead?

Discussion in 'Music' started by gingeroot, Nov 26, 2016.

1. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Like most kids with hippie upbringings I listened to a lot of Rock growing up. 50's through the 90's stuff. But very little that was made in my lifetime. Now that I can experience more I wanted to listen to other stuff. But I haven't found any from the last decade or so that I really enjoy.

For now I am content to listen to the Heavy Metal and Gospel since neither was allowed to be played in our house. I find both evoke emotion that music really never did for me before and that is really neat.

But there has to be good Rock music too right? Am I just not finding it? It has to be out there, or is Rock Music dead?

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Where are you looking?
    5 second search...
    ://www.google.com/amp/www.spin.com/2015/10/the-50-best-rock-bands-right-now%3Famp%3D1?client=ms-android-verizon

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, but it could be the specific kind you are hoping to find more of is really getting rare. To the point that describing it as dead might be accurate.
    Rock as a whole is a very broad genre and far from dead. But just like you, OP, most of the new stuff doesn't do it for me either.

Btw: if you're looking for help to find the 'good rock' you should specify your taste/preferences. Its so broad and subjective. A lot of my fav rock was made in the 90's, which i discovered for a large part in the decade after it. But it isn't the alt rock or grungy stuff the 90s is most known for (rockwise). Or that crappy 'college rock' :-D

4. lovelyfoxes

lovelyfoxes Members

Not at all...there is plenty of excellent rock bands (not on the radio) but theyre out there, just have to dig for them, put in a little work but i will list a few I dig

The Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Allah Las
    Temples
    Dungen
    Graveyard(sweeden)
    The Sword later material
    Monarch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDDlebQwz8

5. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Cool, I got some stuff to check out.

6. lovelyfoxes

lovelyfoxes Members

For sure :) let me know if any of it caught ya the right way :)

7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"The Golden age of Rock and Roll ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmC-ZT-Eak
    ... will Never die" (1:40)