The Secondhand Lifestyle.

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by gingeroot, Nov 22, 2016.

1. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Does anyone else do this? Growing up we bought very little new, even when we had the money to. It was just an idea of, "ehh we probably don't need it anyway." I mean certain things you would end up having to. A part to fix something here, a pair of shoes there (well for me mom was always able to find shoes for her secondhand), but all in all most of our stuff was found at church fairs and yard sales, hand me downs that others didn't need (we would give them things to), or we made or fixed them. In my life I think I have owned three new shirts.

I wouldn't have it any other way. It's great. You never desire anything except basic stuff which is easy to get and then you can be thrilled you got it.

Who else lives this way?

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I garbage pick for fun sometimes. People through away good stuff.

Like the wire I just used for my stereo speakers is the long cords from vacuum cleaners I saw in the trash. Its great wire, tough coating designed not to kink or tangle , high amp rating... I guess I could have spend $35 at Best Buy for lower quality in a fancy package labeled "speaker wire" .

Lawn mowers, weed eaters, 9 out of ten times its a just little water in the carburetor that gets into the cylinder and shorts out the plug but they just through it out.

I haven't found anything good in a wile, don't really go out and look but I have noticed that the wanna be rich neighborhoods is where you find good stuff but in real rich neighborhoods you see nothing. I believe this is because real rich people are smart and don't just toss out good things but the wanna be types in Mc Mansions do.

3. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Yeah, I have fixed many a small engine that way. Out here it tends to be a lot of clogged mufflers from people leaving them outside.
    I always found that in rich neighborhoods you need to go to the church fairs. Rich people donate their stuff there a lot. And when they are over they will let you take whatever you want cause they don't want to hold on to it.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Just within my local environs,which is Suburban,I have found on the pavement within the two years living here:

A good quality swivel mastermind office chair.

A large healthy Swiss Cheese plant which I drape over my wall mounted flat-screen T.V.

A black portfolio for showing photographs/artwork.

A full-length dressing mirror.

A nice rug which lays in front of my sofa.

A large fish tank which I filled with soil and put in stones found on the beach and small plants.It's called as terrarium.

An almost complete set of children's encyclopaedia,from.A-Z just missing a couple of letters.

So I am always on the lookout for discarded stuff.My locale is relatively affluent,and it helps to look for stuff where people have money.They are more likely to throw stuff out and will be of good quality.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I buy almost everything secondhand. I dont feel comfortable buying items made from people working in deplorable conditions in third world countries

It isnt really about saving money, consumer goods are disgustingly cheap these days because they're so cheap to produce - but i am able to afford to buy much higher quality items shopping secondhand (it does take some patience) than i would buying things new.

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Yep also that little screen on the exhaust of the 2 stroke stuff, people think adding more oil is better and clog it all up , LOL

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No, thanks. Not for me. I like new things, not secondhand.

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Antiques? Expensive and desirable,yet in a sense second hand.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Like Hand Crafted Antiques........Not Today's Cheap Throwaway Plastic Thank You..... :)

Cheers Glen.

scratcho and Meliai like this.
  10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yeah, I get that.
    I meant mostly everyday stuff, like shoes&clothes&whatnot.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, sure. To me it seems stupid not to do it. But it's not a lifestyle. Sometimes I get something second-handed, on the other hand sometimes I get something from a shop like H&M (not a lifestyle for me either :p). Why turn everything you can do into a lifestyle? Sounds restricting if one don't watch it :p

12. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

It is a lifestyle. I go without rather than buy stuff new crap even when I have the money.

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I only take that which is clean and in good condition.Not clothes and the like.

14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Since the Salvation Army and others started sorted through all their stuff and charging more I'm lucky if I can afford third hand stuff. :(

1 person likes this.
  15. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

i buy almost everything 2nd hand

16. LucidFae

LucidFae Members

I try to get as much second hand as I can, and share things with friends. Organize clothing swap parties and what not. It has been quite useful so far, I have a very decent pair of winter boots and a number of skirts and sweaters that were either completely free or below 10 dollars- I figure, there are so many goods produced in the world already, why would we need to buy new if we don't need to? It only causes more to be made, where there is plenty already. For me this is an environmental thing as well. A lot of poor quality junk with short lifespans is being produced with finite resources.

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i love finding or buying broken things and fixing them back into usable condition...i make a lot of extra cash doing it

but clothes no way...i cant wear clothes that belonged to someone else..dont know why but that just the way it is...and it drove my mom nuts because i was the youngest and even as a kid i refused to wear hand-me-downs

18. I buy mostly second hand clothes and furniture. Grow fruit and veg and swap some for other stuff. I have always lived frugally and repaired wherever possible rather than replace. It's a way of life and I don't really think about it, it's how it is.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Yup, everything but food!!!:laughing:

20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We repair our stuff and I always try secondhand first.

etherea likes this.