Macintosh, Or Linox?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by magickman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. I'm using Kuntu.

2. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Does anyone here have any idea how to safely migrate files form Windows to a Linux distro ? The file system in any Linux is going to be similar.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, file migration from one PC to another PC is rather straight forward. I have watched tons of videos on YouTube on how to use various Linux distro's but none addressed the transfer of personal files such as music, pics, documents etc. from Windows to Linux , something which I'm not ready discard in order to use Linux .

3. lode

lode Banned

Just toss 'em on a USB drive, or in the cloud.

Music, pictures will all be fine. Drag and drop.

Documents with a few exceptions. If you're working with Visio docs you'll need to get Microsoft cloud office version s to be able to edit.

4. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I've been using Linux during the last 18 years, and exclusively Linux (or *BSD) since 2008-9.
    If the other choice is apple stuff my advice is: avoid apple like the plague. Here's why.
    • Apple stuff is overpriced in an almost comical way. You'll spend extra thousands of bucks. Thousands.
    • Apple HW and SW is by design an attempt to control the way you use your own stuff
    • Apple hardware is not always the best and sometimes is downright shoddy and impossible to fix. Have a look a this guy's channel about these issues https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup . Apple actively blocks any attempt to service your hardware in other ways than through their extremely expensive customer support, effectively stripping the user of the ownership of his own machine. Don't know how people feels about this but would bring me beyond mere fury. I would probably end in jail for shattering my laptop in the face of the first Apple employee I meet.
    • Apple like any other product isn't 100% immune from malicious code. It is a mayor commercial target to malware developers, less than windows and way, way, WAAAY more than Linux that still has its problems, but the exploits are usually against SERVER Linux machines. The exploits against the Desktop (usually Gnome or KDE POC hacks... you might want to consider fluxbox ;) ) are few, far away and always require the user to make some stupid mistake before they can do anything, like breaking the software environment integrity downloading stuff from shady sites.
    This said, there are good sides with Apple:
    • they make both hardware and software. compatibility between them is native and complete unlike in the IBM compatible world. Linux is riddled with compatibility issues and requires to research a little bit before buying dedicated hardware because you could trip into unsupported stuff (usually the newest)
    • they are a commercial company and you will get some degree of professional assistance (for money). Linux will give you nothing but you can have free community support, which is better than being alone anyway.
    So the advice is: Linux, until you absolutely you don't have time to study the new system and are ready to shell out hard cash to be assisted. And treated like a stupid ten years old child who doesn't know what's best for him.
    What distro ? one of the major old ones. Debian. SUSE. Fedora. Also Mint has a good reputation today. Remember that some are also commercial products that will offer professional assistance, if you really need it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Asmodean likes this.
  5. Varmint

Varmint Member

I've fiddled with linux and BSD since the mid-90's. Debian is almost always used in penetration testing, either directly or one of it's offshoots. Ubuntu and Puppy are pretty easy for newbies, and they're fast, too. If you like gaming, you'll have to stick with the gaming OS of choice, which is still windoze. Stay away from Slackware unless you REALLY want to learn linux in detail

I haven't had an anti-virus app on my systems in years, but once in a rare while I scan them with Clam (for linux) or ClamWin (for windoze). I stay away from clicking on hinky stuff.

6. jagerhans

actually now it appears that Linux gaming is on the rise with even higher framerates than Win10 on some games. but yes, win is still the way to go if all you're about is gaming.

7. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

8. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

On Linux games , most programers dont want to spend a lot of time writing programs they cant get money for , but there a few that are ok . I play Mahjong and a few of the card games . I have played a few of the chess games . Never really cared for frozen bubble . Some time when I have a lot of time I will down load the flight sym game , as I remember its like 500 meg. to dl .

p.s. One of the Linux users might start a , what Linux games are you playing thread .

Asmodean likes this.
  9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

My refrigerator is a GE, but my air conditioner is a Trane.

10. alexsandro

alexsandro Members

As most of people here I would prefer Linux too

11. jagerhans

Oh, BTW if You want customer support, there are commercial Linux companies like SuSe or RedHat that will offer that. SuSe enterprise desktop offers one-year support plans for 100$ .

12. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

Mac

13. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

What are some of the good games on Linux ?

14. Gerteik

Gerteik Members

maybe online games?

15. jagerhans

a lot of windows games run alright under Linux using the Wine compatibility layer. for instance I'm a long standing fan of IL-2 Sturmovik and it runs smooth with the Wine libraries.

16. Windows are a shit operating system.
    You are forever updating it and losing your stuff.

I'm on a mac that i bought 2 and a half years ago.
    Linux is easier as it's built into the whole thing.

The program it has in it is called terminate.
    You can ping and do all sorts of things in it.