Evolution: A Theory In Crisis?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Okiefreak, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not 100% sure of that of course. It just seems likely. You seem to ask a question wether the change in human immune systems due to improved hygiene is an evolutionary one? Good question. Or are you certain it is? If so, why?

Gravity is proven to be a real thing, whatever it is. So wether it is only fully explained in a theory or not, it is proven to be a real thing.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You implied that humans have essentially stopped evolving due to overcoming most environmental stress', but that is incorrect.
    The immune system thing is evidence that we are still adapting (evolving) in response to environmental stress's or lack thereof.
    It has been confirmed beyond doubt. The question is now how many generations living in those conditions does it take before an adaptation is incorporated into the genome permanently.

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A belief on The Almighty does not preclude a belief in evolution.

We all live in Gods oil painting, small changes are made each day.

4. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, come and visit New Jersey

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

But if yall never leave the Barrons that adaptation will never spread to the rest of the population

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

How is it certain that the change in human immune systems is an evolutionary change? I mean that improved hygiene leads to changes in the immune system is logical. The question in your last sentence seems key. If that can not be affirmed it's also not certain this change is an evolutionary one.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

what else would you call a physiological adaptation to environmental conditions?
    THAT is exactly what evolution IS!

as I said, the real question is how long/how many generations of a critter does an environmental condition need to exist before any adaptations are fixed?
    we know with fruit flies it is pretty short. short enough that we can introduce changes and then track them over generations, but have a 24 hour life span helps...LOL

also bear in mind he changes that have been noted in human immune systems are not beneficial ones. by living in "cleaner" environments our immune systems are not challenged as much and have become weaker and less robust.
    in fact it is behind is one leading theory for the prevalence of allergies today.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

And therefore the dirty people will have the immunity for the virus that wipes out most of mankind. And there is your natural selection

1 person likes this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Hmmmm, maybe I'll skip my shower today......

1 person likes this.
  10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

thanks i am from los angeles originally and people were always all new agey speaking - oh we're evolving - and i bought the canard (preferred it peking) until i got science and learned that evolution only occurred in successive generations. then it became a thing of mine to right wrongs like brahmans are evolved untouchables - no we're all humans and evolution might create a sense where we can speak to beings who we cannot perceive at present.

fact is though there is a disinformation wing of education who have as their goal not your education but your suppression - for economic reasons because the hoi polloi at one cent each equal more than all the gold in the world

someday space will be the gold standard

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Technology has give humans the ability to control or eliminate a lot of environmental stressors, but human evolution does seem to be taking place on two fronts: the physical and the cultural. On the physical front,
    http://www.popsci.com/article/science/human-species-still-evolving
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/humans-are-still-evolving-and-we-can-watch-it-happen
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/30795/5-signs-humans-are-still-evolving

On the cultural front, we are evolving intellectually in much the same way, as memes mutate, compete, and adapt to new environments

2 people like this.