Christians Should Not Celebrate Halloween

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by thefutureawaits, Oct 29, 2016.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I will celebrate whatever the fuck I want!!!

OK ok I am not Christian.
    But if I was in would celebrate whatever the fuck I want.....just like I do.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Because they are Pagan....

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, go on? What's the issue there?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Apparently it's a problem for the OP for one holiday... why not the others?

5. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I agree and I don't celebrate any of the holidays or any birthdays. Just the memorial of Jesus death.

6. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I disagree..proof?

HALLOWEEN TIME LINE

FIFTH CENTURY B.C.E.

The Celts observe the festival of Samhain at the end of October, when they believe ghosts and demons roam the earth more so than at other times.

FIRST CENTURY C.E.

The Romans conquer the Celts and adopt the spiritistic rituals of Samhain.

SEVENTH CENTURY C.E.

Pope Boniface IV is said to have established the annual celebration of All Saints’ Day to honor martyrs. *

ELEVENTH CENTURY C.E.

The second of November is designated as All Souls’ Day to commemorate the dead. Observances surrounding All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day are collectively called Hallowtide.

EIGHTEENTH CENTURY C.E.

The name of the holiday, Hallowe’en (Hallow Evening) appears in print as Halloween.

NINETEENTH CENTURY C.E.

Thousands of people who move from Ireland to the United States bring with them Halloween customs that, in time, combined with similar customs of emigrants from Britain and Germany, as well as Africa and other parts of the world.

TWENTIETH CENTURY C.E.

Halloween becomes a popular nationwide holiday in the United States.

TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY C.E.

Commercial interest in Halloween grows into a worldwide multibillion-dollar industry.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I have no proof. Honestly don't care. However being much of the bible takes place before jesus and before his death means much of the bible was written before Christianity.

8. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Go ahead, be a follower then. Lol.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I didn't read anything other than the first line. Why? Because I don't know why you quoted me when the first line is about the Celts and the Celts were heathens on their land I'm not sure how you can disagree with me saying that Christian tales aren't closely related to pagan tales.

The proof you want is all on the internet already and I've discussed it in lengths on this forum. Not Halloween. I don't care about Halloween. Just google something like.. "pagan similarities in Christian doctrine" and if you don't believe me now then your wig be peeled back when you do read about it, because there's almost zero originality at all in the Bible. It's a complete rip off. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Zero originality. Wow! That is a bold statement but that is all it is. Christian tales..haha. so are you comparing doctrine or what the Bible really says? Big difference.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just the stories and tales. Like the origins of Easter etc.

Pretty much religion has very similar aspects and it's because it was like handed down eons ago. From Sumeriant to Akkadian to Greece over to Egypt, Rome and then North to Europe, even farther to Scandinavia. Same journeys under different names, same people under different names.

Christian originality. lol please. C'mon, man.

1 person likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I urge you to do the reading. Start with Sumerian. Read about their gods. The number of gods. Their tales and what mankind took from them in terms of religion. Then start with the next one. You'll see it's all one current leading to different places my friend. :)

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Uhm... pathetic. I leave it at that :p

14. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Yup. No more celebrations for those weasels.

1 person likes this.
  15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'm a Christian, and think your fundamentalist brand of it does far more harm than Halloween. Jesus wouldn't give a rats ass about the issue. Lighten up!

1 person likes this.
  16. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Jesus allegedly nearly blew a blood vessel in his brain because people were despoiling the temple. The understanding of Jesus also precludes a belief in the temple of the body. Is one more important to the concept then the other? Is it not despoiling the temple of the body by the standards of Christian belief to indulge in beliefs in contrast to its core tenets? Is this a step toward understanding or away from it?

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't follow you. I think the "core tenets" of Christianity are love of God and non-judgmental love for others, including society's rejects, The Temple Jesus was concerned about was the Second Temple in Jerusalem which was the center for the worship of God, and the High Priest and his minions defiled it by making it a racket, thereby violating duties to both God and neighbor. That physical Temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 A.D. I don't see what, if anything, this has to do with the concept of a "temple of the body"? The phrase "temple of the body" comes from Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:19: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own". I don't see the problem, and certainly nothing relating to Halloween trick-or-treating..

18. Perfect Disorder

At Okiefreak
    So then you would believe that the physical temple is more important to Christianity than the spiritual temple that would house your understanding of the holy spirit?

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No, just the opposite. A temple is a place where God is housed and/or worshiped. The physical temple in Jerusalem was reduced to rubble. The "temple of the body", or Temple of the Holy Spirit, in my understanding, is a metaphor conveying that the house of God has been transferred to the "mystical body of Christ", consisting of believing humans, and that we need to treat our physical bodies consistent with our duties to God and neighbor. Paul was specifically, and I'd say obsessively, concerned with sex. I agree that when we enter into a sexual relationship, we are not just our own persons, but need always to respect our partners as the incarnate image and likeness of God. This is similar to Kant's concept that humans can never be treated as objects, only as subjects. When we are in the presence of another human being, we are in the presence of the holy. Paul also reminds us of the dangers of lust, which is a form of idolatry--shirk, as the Muslims call it, which I understand to be a form of what Buddhist call tanha, attachment or craving for personal satisfaction.

20. Perfect Disorder

Would you say that Paul proclaimed differing ideology than Jesus? What is your stance on the biblical indictment against paganism?