2/3 Of Wild Life Potentially Gone By 2020

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by guerillabedlam, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Maybe.... The bugs on mine are from the summer before last.

2. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Most UK winters you get one or two days snow, three months would be 60x more than normal

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I just saw a floating brown spot in my yard. There is no shortage of bugs.

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

How were they able to determine the planet's wildlife population before society was invented? And be able to compare it to now?

I mean there is no denying that a dozen or so species go extinct every year. But there are also populations that rapidly grow, as well as decline. Depending on ecological conditions and varying factors.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

As I state in the OP and as it mentions in the article these figures are taken into account since 1970.

6. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Not really because we sometimes get winters like that. Ten twenty years ago everyone be like, why don't we get winters like in the 1970s anymore? Global warming. Now people be like, why are we getting winters like the 1970s again? Oh aye, global warming again.

The UK is blessed with an eternal random choice between 4 different weather systems, which it sits smack bang in the middle of. Our daily weather changes by the minute and every year, every season is different. British meteorology is like a box of chocolates...

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Since the start of the Cambrian period approximately 500 million years ago 99.9% of all species that ever existed have gone extinct.

One day that will also include man

Hotwater

8. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

So basically, if you want to meet an alien you don't need a space ship. Just hang around for 500 million years in cryogenic suspension?

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Dude if you’re in Cryonic suspension for 500 million years it would mean during the intervening years they didn’t discover a viable method of restoring you from your frozen state.
    You would be to them, like we are to an amoeba

Hotwater

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

It worked for 'Wayward Pines"

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It is in the 80s here, two days before November.

Our springs have consistentally started earlier, summers hotter (except for 3 summers ago when it rained all day every day all summer, but that is also very unusual - but it was heavenly) and indian summers lasting through the end of fall for the past few years. It was 75 on Christmas Eve last year. It felt disgusting.

Of course climate isnt the same as weather so neither of us are really proving anything by giving our weather reports, but I did want to point out just because you arent seeing anything unusual doesnt mean other people arent either.

Overall the last 3 years have broken records as being the hottest on record.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I had a teacher suggest that "Global Warming" is somewhat of a misnomer, suggesting that the "Warming" term is accurate to describe the conditions of a lot of places but other places may experience more intense cold as well. It's suggesting more of an instability in the climate and he quipped that it should be called "Global Weirding".

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

naivete and ignorance permeate any discussion concerning these issues.
    local patterns and cyclical fluctuations are not what the issue is, it's the rise in the mean global temp that is the problem.

sure 99.9% of all species since the Cambrian period have gone extinct, and the vast majority of those extinctions were because the species were unable to adapt to a changing environment.
    now we still have the naturally occurring changes and fluctuations compounded by human activities and the net result in regards to this thread is an exponential rise in species dying off.

concerning weather patterns, well it's all regulated by the moisture content of the atmosphere, so higher temps = more evaporation=higher humidity=changes in climate/weather patterns.
    We teach lessons on the water cycle to 4-5 year old kids, and they get it, what's up with some supposedly educated adults?
    it really isn't that hard to comprehend, why do some folks have such a problem.

humans started altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere whenever we domesticated cattle. ;)

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

all of which is readily explained and understood by higher moisture content in the atmosphere.

Hell, if enough of the north Atlantic ice shelves melt, it could disrupt the Gulf stream and plunge the planet into another ice age.

gotta look at the entire picture, the gestalt

15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Your government will never allow you to see 'the big picture'.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL, I'm smarter than that...;)

1 person likes this.
  17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

That could be true for either side of our arguments. If the situation is as bad as I'm afraid that it might be, it would be in our governments and our 1%'ers best interest to keep people in the dark about it.

If you knew that society was going to break down in 5 years, would you tell everyone and risk it breaking down tomorrow? Or would you use the next 5 years to prepare and give yourself more of a survival advantage?

18. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It is this which is the Biggest fear

19. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

I'm 60, I don't care what happens in 5 years.
    Only today and tomorrow is important now.

My wife is a jungle survival expert, we're only 2km from endless jungle. She and the kids will be ok. She's survived in the jungle before.

20. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gHuAwxwAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCEOfZV1OaU