Cut The Cord! With Kodi Android Tv

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by skip, Oct 26, 2016.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Are you ready to cut the cord?
    I mean the cable TV cord.
    That cord is costing you a lot of money, no?

Aren't you tired of watching never ending commercials on broadcast/cable TV?

Well you can free yourself from being ripped off, paying for channels you don't want.

There are many products on the market that can free you from cable dependence.
    Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, etc. have products that allow you to view media that you choose from hundreds of sources.

If you're looking for a more advanced system, you should consider the Android based boxes and sticks. Most use the open source KODI system to manage your media streaming and downloading. Not only is KODI the most open system, it doesn't limit you. Best yet - it's free to download onto any Android device running 4.0.3 or better.

It might not be the simplest to setup or use, but that's because it's so powerful. You can even customize it to your hearts desire since it's open source. I downloaded the TVaddons app, which added hundreds if not thousands of video and music channels to the KODI system (recommended). That saved me a lot of setup time.

I'm expecting my own Android box to arrive today. I'll post up more info about it as I work with it. It comes with KODI and Media Center installed.

I purchased a Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android TV Box from Amazon.com for $99. It seems to be the best deal presently on this type of system.

What I like about it is how flexible and expandable it is. It will take a micro-SD card, it provides two USB 2 ports, optical out, hdmi out (it does 4K, btw). So I plan on hooking up a terabyte hd and micro SD and a remote mouse. I'll also add a bluetooth keyboard and BT adapter for the box if there is room to hook it up. It'll take the USB hub I ordered too so I should be able to add more drives as needed.

The box comes with a remote control, but if you want you can download a software remote for your android device and control KODI's TV interface with that. You do need a TV with HDMI input to run an android box.

Now as for what you can do with this system...
    I've already installed KODI on my tablet, and it's wonderful!
    Seems everyone is really amazed at what this system can do.

As a media center, it can retrieve content from any wireless device you have locally, and most cloud repositories. I'm not certain, but I think it will cast a stream to any device in your wireless network as well. I'll update this once I try it.

The heart of the system is the ability to ADD-ON custom apps that provide access to streaming videos, music, podcasts, etc. It sounds like your typical windows media center, and it is similar. However this robust system gives you access to directories of media sources around the world.

So you can watch full length, HD movies, the latest TV shows in addition to libraries of old stuff.

Some of the add-ons you may have already heard about services like Hulu, Genesis, YouTube, Pandora, and hundreds more. So if you have a "dumb" tv or a "smart" tv, this will add many new sources to your lineup.

And of course many of those sources contain copyrighted material and require a subscription to access. However you can easily download from sources that don't require a subscription. Whether this constitutes copyright violations is a matter for the lawyers to decide. But so far there has never been a case against someone for just streaming copyrighted material. Just so long as it's not saved or copied or distributed, it seems it does not violate any specific laws.

And on that basis many people are enjoying the freedom from the limitations of cable tv.

For me, I can now access many (but not all) BBC channels. I especially like BBC News and Channel 4. I've also found libraries of British shows that we never see in the US. The BBC usually blocks anyone without a British license from viewing their content, so this is a good way to get around that stupid limitation. I'm hoping to cancel my Netflix account soon. Not much left there I want to see.

This box will also free up my tablet so I can use it while the TV is on. And the box doesn't need recharging as it's plugged in 24/7.

Here's the link to the Matricom box on Amazon. Keeping my fingers crossed it arrives in good condition. :)

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00QHLSKOE

Click here to view the article

1 person likes this.
  2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

You getting revenue for this?