90S Kids - What Do You Miss About The 90S?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by StellarCoon, Oct 25, 2016.

1. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

The 1990's was, for the most part, a terrible decade for me, but one positive stood out: It was THE time to be a video gamer kid. Gaming technology advanced in leaps and bounds. New breakthroughs in both software and hardware development were made yearly, and there were still several small studios in business that were very original and creative, and unsmothered by the larger corporate operators. All this translated to a bounty of great video games, some which are regarded as true classics and trend-setting milestone releases today. Also, these were definitely the golden years of the arcade scene, which, sadly is fading away now here in the west.

I also miss a few of the people who have since died, estranged as we might have become near the end, but the old times were good. And I just miss having TIME to actually waste.

Also, definitely this:

2. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Indeed. I remember getting super frustrated with this "Home Alone" one at age 5 or so. There were days I just wanted to smash the darn thing, but after cooling off the allure that it was a "game thing" kept bringing me back.

:D

We kinda grew apart as we grew older. I blame western culture with it's egocentric/nihilistic teachings. :/

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh really? I wouldn't blame that, family has to make effort. We are a large family though with several aunts, uncles and extended families. I have 3 sister, daddy fathered 4 girls hehe. Something wrong with his sperm we tell him. :D

I was kind of on my own though through 90s. I was taken from school because something happened there the folks didn't like. The three sisters got homeschooled by mum, I went off with daddy to go across Europe selling goods at farmers markets and events. He didn't really school me, more like, taught me useful life stuff at an early age and also he gave me the opportunity to start thinking for myself in terms of religion and politics etc. though I was like 10 I dunno, I guess that shaped who I am a bit. But I remember always getting books from people. You tend to see he same people at events like a traveling circus or carnival. So people give me books and I remember I just had my head down reading and reading. Obviously that's a big part of who I am, creating as much fantasy in my head that I can, because that's what made sense to me as a kid and my creations are far better than anything I can find in the real world.

So I miss my family. They don't live near me anymore. I moved back to Europe and I still see them couple times a year. I'm always on the move and recently my folks and one my sisters came this year to see us. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was a 50s kid, and what i loved about the 60s is that the 50s had ended.
    now i'm an old fart and no one remembers the real reason why there were hippies.
    everyone thinks it was all some bullshit about mind altering chemistry.

90s, its hard for me to realize that was long enough ago that people born then are already well into adulthood.

the best thing about the 90s, like the best thing about the 60s, is that the 80s were over with.

except for nafta, clinton was a better president then raygun. (so was carter for that matter)

90s was i was married for the first and only time. i was already in my 40s.

i was really hoping the 90s would be another 60s (only with people having computers and the internet that we didn't have then) and the 2000's another 70s.

oil, the automobile, and the 80s legacy of hating logic kind blew it, and the way fear of peace really screwed what the 2000's could have been.

90s i live in a whole house, with just my wife, except she took up all of it. late 90s that is.
    early 90s was the last time i had a car. also worked in a museum. slept under the train table in the museum when i wasn't sleeping in my hornet wagon or on my mom's back porch.
    dad died in 91, which gave mom back her life, though it took her a while to realize it.
    my wife gave my mom the support i never could. so that worked out ok.
    then my wife died in 2009 and my mom in 2010.
    her brother helped me get the pension i get by on now.
    chapters in my life tend to run from mid decade to mid decade, so mid 80s to mid 90s weren't so good, but mid 90s to mid 2000s and since have been pretty good.
    pretty much the best really.
    mid 80s to mid 90s what when i went back to placer county california, from oregon, where i'd been from late 70s to late 80s.
    trying to think. anything in the 90s not about myself. well that was when i got on here. sometime around 97 or 98, whenever it was.
    i didn't have internet after i left oregon until after i was married. well internet didn't exist yet in the early 80s. just local dial up bbs's and compuserve.
    i guess i'd have to say the biggest thing about the 90s that isn't completely subjective to me, was the internet going public.
    and before it got over run by e-business .com. when it was still a hangout for technonerds and not too many other people really knew nor cared that it existed.
    we had the internet but we still had mom and pop storefront retailing too, so that was win win both ways in that sense.
    but we didn't really get public transportation back to the level it had been before the car became god, so it really wasn't all that it could have been.

1 person likes this.
  5. RollTideKendra

RollTideKendra Members

Taking the 30 ft phone extension cord and pulling the phone outside to talk to my boyfriend or friends in "private", away from my parents and siblings.
    Sat on the back porch watching it snow and in the blazing heat of summer and everything in between.

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQU8zM_UbQQ

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It was one the greatest decades to be a teen in (in my country at least) and I guess I could say I miss that feeling a bit. That careless feeling of endless possibilities and everything is great. I don't feel the complete opposite now happily :) but that time that felt like pure awesomeness and you never thought about your own future in a bad way. I don't think I thought much about the future anyway, I just fully assumed it would be just as ok as the now and did not pay it more serious thought (felt excellent :D)

I also fitted in with certain subcultures better, but I don't really miss that. I fit in with more kinds of people now, but you kind of feel less affinity with one particular group of people if you know what i mean. I felt the need to fit in with such groups a lot more back then. Very glad I did :p

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

TV was good in the 90s.
    I don't miss the war though.

9. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

ASL lol

Always the first line

Early '00s for me though

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

school friends

and health ...i was fairly ship shape in the early nineties

12. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Oh man, i grew up in the 80s and 90s. Fun times. I remember Roy Rogers chicken, the old fashion kudos bars, super nintendo (mortal kombat, street fighter, super mario world), playing hide and seek at the discovery zone, wrestling matches, etc.

I remember the way New York was in the 80s and 90s, wild and crazy lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ePFoxncZ4

I was a big fan of WWF at that time. (now known as WWE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EPVBwuxWA

2 people like this.
  13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejUZZ7qW18

Hotwater

1 person likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont miss music from the 90s

There was some good stuff, but overall,. my least favourite decade for music

Tv on the other hand, I miss Friends, having a Friends type show to watch

15. Asmodean

It's my favourite decade for music, well the fav decade I was alive in :p but I don't miss it because it's all available. A lot of the 90s bands are still playing and some new good stuf is around so yeah, it's all good in my experience.

I appreciate Friends a lot more now than in the 90's. In fact I didn't appreciate it at all back then and teased my fellow teens/20 year olds who watched it (mostly guys who watched it with their gf) :D

1 person likes this.
  16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I was a 20-something in the '90s. What I miss most is the confidence and sense of optimism everyone (even me) seemed to have. The cold war was finally over, Germany was one nation again, jobs were plentiful (where I was living anyway) and people just seemed altogether more decent than they are today.

1 person likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Maybe get off Facebook ;)

2 people like this.
  18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I do believe that the internet and cell phones are a part of today's problems.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Absolutely lol. I miss the internet being a mass of people you didnt know from all over the world (i guess forums like this are really all thats left of it), rather than your neighbor and your high school friends and that lady who watched you in church daycare when you were 3.

I miss talking on the phone with my best friend for hours at night, and having to put her on hold to use the bathroom or get something to eat because we didnt even get a cordless phone until around 99 or 2000. We're still friends and we would both kill each other if one of us actually tried to call the other now. Like, why didnt you text, are your fingers broken?

You know what I really miss but I hated at the time? Just being bored. I'm rarely ever bored now because of netflix, the internet, etc but i'm not sure thats a good thing.

20. Asmodean

I think the internet is great (it's from the 90s after all :p) but it can and will be abused as well as used in ways we might regard as pointless but others find awesome :p. So it has disadvantages as well obviously. But overall I think it has been a great development.

I recognize your description of the 90's Tumbling, it was the same here in the netherlands, and yeah not everything is the same if we would close down facebook/get rid of internet. But at the same time I feel it is also what we are focussing on/take in account. If i focus really on my surroundings there are really just as much nice people acting decent, and yes, there are less jobs and so also less optimism in that regard as a whole, but it doesn't seem to me like the whole place is going to shit. I guess if you live in the wrong spot and all jobs are gone it will look like that. And if people have more urgent problems (like no payroll) they often come across less optimistic/confident etc. But it seems to me if it weren't for the global news (which of course rarely focusses on the good stuff) it doesn't look that bad in my part of the world. And yes, I still like to get my portion of global news too.