How Do You Accurately Measure The Gender Pay Issue?

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by Motion, Oct 23, 2016.

1. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

lol Things are changing. Societal constructs and conditioning (on both men and women's parts) are partly to blame. Men aren't the only ones to have held women back in certain professions, many women did, too. Religion to some extent can be to blame, since most popular religions are patriarchal in nature. Sorry to use the "p" word, but there's truth in that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The UK government set a good enough example.
    My late mother, Jane and now our daughter all worked for the government and the pay was entirely based on grade. Even back in the 1950s their were an equal percentage of women in the higher grades, (my mother was grade SEO).
    Historically, the police employed less women and even today they tend to dispatch male officers to deal with known violent criminals, but this is offset by female officers sent to domestic (particularly rape) cases. Our daughter (a trained vet) is often called to incidents involving animals.
    Regarding maternity and looking after children, my mother was on half pay if she had to take time off work when I was sick as a child. I don't know what the system is today because Jane and I always managed to deal with anything involving the children between us. She can now work from home if necessary, so that may have been a solution.

4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It does in the film industry, particularly the BBC. But it does not affect engineers, technicians and admin staff.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  5. Slasher

Slasher Members

Though it's probably irrelevant to whatever is being discussed here, I'll give you my take on gender and pay. I'll do so by first telling a story (it's true):

So, my dad is a logger. He owns his own logging and sawmill business. Logging is very backbreaking and dangerous work, and over the years it's been pretty much exclusively men who have worked for my dad. There was however a case where my dad employed a woman to work at the sawmill offbearing lumber and crossties. This woman was very strong. She didn't have much trouble offbearing the lumber, but when a crosstie came up, she could not lift it like the men could. Crossties are 9"×9" thick, and heavy as hell. Every time one of them came down the line, she had to step aside and let the men move it.

So you have to ask yourself, does this woman deserve equal pay as the men? Her inability to lift and stack crossties halted production and cost my dad money. Being able to stack ties is a requirement of that job, and one that all men who have ever worked there have been able to do. I remind you, this woman was exceptionally strong for a woman. What if the government were to legislate that my dad had to hire 50% women on his sawmill crew? You see how gender or ethnicity quotas lead to problems? This does not mean women don't have the right to work in the lumber business or any other industry. It simply means that if they want to, they better be able to perform the work, and if they can't, my dad has every right not to hire them. It just so happens that in the overwhelming majority of cases, men are physically stronger than women, making them more capable of brutal jobs like logging/sawmilling, and women also overwhelmingmy don't desire these types of jobs. Women overhwlemingly want to be nurses, interior designers, florists, cake decorators, teachers, or not work much at all. That's pretty much it.

My view is that any given industry should be dominated by whoever is best at that particular job. If it happens to be 99% black women for a given field, so be it. If it happens to be 99% white men for some other field, so be it. Legislating that people should be paid more or hired more because of a group they belong to is foolish to me. It should depend on your individual competency. Collectivist and identity legislation promotes a weaker business with compromised results. It means you have to turn away good talent just so you can meet your "quota" of whatever identity you're required to hire.

Thus, I say the pay gap is a myth, men are inherently better at certain jobs, as women are inherently better at others, and feminism loses.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I pay all my workers the same.

If they have a forklift lisence they get a little more. If they have some sort of qualification for the industry they get a little more.

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Did you watch the video ?

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Well, there's this 'gender spectrum' thing. The more accurately you measure one's gender the less accurately you can measure one's pay. Similarly, the more accurately you measure one's pay the less accurately you can measure one's gender.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If you're doing the same job, you should be paid equally. Pay differs on longevity and pay rises and increase so a new person shouldn't be on the same money as a 5yr employee. Qualifications = higher wage.

But that's just me lol.