Aristippus Or Epicurus?

Discussion in 'Hedonism' started by TheSamantha, Oct 12, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I follow Aristippus. Sensual indulgence, minimal pain. I like how one of his disciples was a girl, his daughter Arete.

How about you?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I like Epicurus because of his scientific nature. He supported the views of the atomists and also thought that belief should be held accountable to evidence and logic.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i tend to be a bit epicurious myself, though it does seem likely there is as much or more that is greater then ourselves then is less.
    it matters that everything effects everything else, because we have to live with what it does.
    that's why i can't take headonism as an absolute either,
    and i don't have to pretend to know things that are not known in order to not do so.
    as for sex, sure, that should be mostly harmless good clean fun for children of all ages,
    but furst we would need to lower human fertility accross the board and without bias.
    consideration is really everything. not because of books or gods,
    but because we have to live in the same world, our degree of it creates.

4. gentledove

gentledove Members

My favorite is actually Anniceris of the Cyrenaic School. He believed in mental pleasures in addition to sensual indulgence, such as the mental pleasures of friendship.

Epicurus was a bit boring, just avoiding pain rather than seeking pleasure. The Cyrenaics saw avoidance of pain as neutral, with pleasure as smooth going and pain as rough going.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

This Samantha chick who I no longer believe posts here anymore, had done it all hey? Lol. She's followed almost every religion, she's tried every sexuality, she's done more than anyone lol.

6. gentledove

gentledove Members

Yeah I was everything from Anglican to Satanist. It was awesome.