Marijuana While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by fmm0407, Oct 12, 2016.

1. fmm0407

fmm0407 Members

Please, no judgement. I just need an answer. Please!!!

I smoked mj heavily in the months leading up to my pregnancy. I found out around 8 weeks, then stopped. I took just a couple of hits around 16 weeks, one-two hits around 24 weeks, and 1-2 hits again one day around 26 weeks. I am now 28 weeks and plan to not take anymore hits or smoke whatsoever! I live in shit hole Texas. I have never raised any red flags in the past, my doctor was aware that I smoked before I knew I was pregnant and told me at my last visit (after I asked) that she had no intentions of telling the hospital or informing anyone. I'm still nervous that the hospital will test my baby's meconium. I know I won't test positive in my urine sample, but would the thc stay in my baby's system when I am 37-40 weeks pregnant if I don't smoke again?

Again, any information is GREATLY appreciated. Please, have mercy. No judgement please. I know what I did was stupid to even take a risk. Thanks.

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

2 people like this.
  3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't see how it could be in your child's system if it is not in yours. Everything they receive now is from your body. It would be disappointing if child services got involved over this. You seem like a person who wants to be a good mother. I've seen people with much bigger issues than weed smoking have kids and CPS still had to work to take the kids away. Each case is different but if it makes you feel any better I think you are already looking good. But I say that as someone from a legal state. Texas might think of weed as a bigger issue.

1 person likes this.
  4. theGoldenApple

theGoldenApple Members

I worked for CPS in Texas for years and only just quit about a month ago. Here is what I have to say about the matter, but please feel free to private message me if you want any further direction.

If you are on Medicaid, the hospital will drug test you. If you are negative on the urine screen, they probably won't test meconium, but you never know. Do NOT disclose any marijuana use in your history to any hospital personnel, and hopefully your doctor will uphold his/her word.

If CPS gets called, they won't take your kids for this. But they are likely to ask you to be supervised with your new baby for 30 days while they "investigate." An investigation in this case might entail them making sure the home environment is safe, making sure the pedi has no concerns, and talking to grandparents or other people who know what kind of parent you are or are likely to be. It's humiliating, it's a pain in the ass, and it's completely unnecessary. Being required to intervene in cases like this is *exactly* why I left the agency after almost a decade. But it will come and go and won't have any long term effects on your household.

I am just giving you a worst case scenario here. Most likely, like I said, you won't hear from anybody. I'm sorry you are having to stress about this during this special time. Again, if you need consultation at any point, I am happy to help.

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"View from a bloke"
    = Seems to me if you are carrying, and whilst doing so, initial nurturing of new life, one should ensure that all risks are minomalised - if not totally removed

2 people like this.
  6. TurmoilAndy

TurmoilAndy Members

Hey fmm, probably not the best idea to smoke anything while pregnant :D
    Nobody judges here :D Probably wont be in your babys system.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree, definitely would not smoke it. You can also eat it but I'm not sure about that when you're pregnant. I am sure though that you shouldn't smoke ANYTHING (certainly not on a regular basis) while pregnant.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

pattern shows you will in about two weeks

anyways, best of luck to you and the baby

1 person likes this.
  9. Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong Members

I had a doctor tell me she would rather me smoke a little than vomit so much I get dehydrated and pass out

Just saying

2 people like this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Certain things in life have made me come to the decision to not have children but it greatly bothers me this undisciplined abuse and irresponsibility that parents practice with their children.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Was this doctor in a MMJ or legal state?

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It depends.

If you're just recreationally smoking all the time when pregnant then yeah, thats an issue. But if you suffer from severe nausea and cant keep food down then the benefits probably outweigh the risks and I wouldnt consider using it medicinally as abusive or irresponsible. There isnt any evidence that marijuana is harmful to a fetus.

I was prescribed medication for nausea when I was pregnant and when I started looking into it found that there werent really any studies done on pregnant women for it..da fuck? I threw it away.

1 person likes this.
  13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Until it's proven conclusively that a pregnant woman smoking marijuana has no effect on a fetus' development then I say play it safe and abstain while you're pregnant.

14. Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong Members

Yes, I am in co

1 person likes this.
  15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Clarifying the pregnancy was there. Was this in the MMj or recreational years?

For others reading this, what a single doc will say in a state of any level of legality does NOT mean that moms in illegal states won't gat hassles.
    One mama who moved from Colorado back near her family in Oklahoma had her child taken for 48 hours.
    Those are very important bonding hours, and disruption, for good or bad reasons, can be problematic.