Click to shop at Zamnesia
Photo
- - - - -

Why Do Many People See Truth Differently?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#11 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,250 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted October 06 2016 - 03:06 PM

The truth?

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Sorry. Kinda had to. :)

Edited by Irminsul, October 06 2016 - 03:07 PM.

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#12 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,858 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted October 07 2016 - 01:16 AM

truth may be a single point the foolish have multiplied, but that truth is not a religious belief.

nor is it hiding behind a tree, nor in a book, nor in some special place.

truth is the first thing that censorship and narrowness filters out.

truth simply abhors lack of freedom of thought and expression.

authoritarianism fears truth.

truth is that all places are sacred

and each ego, that wants to see itself as central,

has a big problem with that.

the shorter answer would be that truth,

is not what they are looking for or at, at all.

every belief, ideology and most non-indiginous cultures,

teach people to lie to them selves,

each in their niche specific way.

even to hating and harassing everyone who doesn't share the same self deceptions.

Edited by themnax, October 07 2016 - 01:19 AM.

• storch likes this

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#13 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted October 07 2016 - 03:23 AM

I am enjoying all the responses.

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#14 morrow

morrow

Free as a bird

• PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • LocationNW UK

Posted October 07 2016 - 03:34 AM

People are individuals, that alone! But with the individual bringing up, can give people individual views, and so truths will always be different!
Phycologist,s have been proving this for decades, emotions also influence truths!
I remember studying some of these psychologist and while some seemed quite mad with their experiments, they proved only that people are different according to their surroundings

#15 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted October 07 2016 - 03:38 AM

Part II;

a continued explanation of Part I

Any attempt to find Truth is going to be both successful and unsuccessful precisely because it is an analytic process, a process of breaking something down into subjects and predicates. But what I mean (and everybody else means) by the word Truth cannot be broken down into subjects and predicates. This is not because Truth is so mysterious but because Truth is so simple, immediate and direct. The easiest intellectual analogue of pure Truth that people in our environment can understand is that Truth is the immediate experience of an organism in its environment. In attempting to understand the experience a person seeks analogies, that is, images and symbols from its previous experience, to define the nature of its experience and thus ‘understand’ it. In our highly complex organic state we advanced organisms respond to our environment with an invention of many marvelous analogues. We invent the earth and heavens, trees, stones and oceans, gods, music, arts, language, philosophy, engineering, civilization and science. We call these analogues reality. And they are reality. We mesmerize our children in the name of Truth into knowing that they are reality. We throw anyone who does not accept these analogues into an insane asylum. But that which causes us to invent the analogues is Truth. Truth is the continuing stimulus, which our environment puts upon us to create the world in which we live. All of it. Every last bit of it.

As Lao Tzu  said, “The Truth that can be defined is not the Absolute Truth.

The names that can be given it are not Absolute names. It is the origin of heaven and earth. When named it is the mother of all things”.

1. The only real Truth that can be encountered is the immediate experience of an organism with its environment. 

2. The understanding of this immediate experience requires comparing that experience to other direct experiences through analogies. 

3. All that we can know other than what we directly experience in the present moment is nothing more than analogy.

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#16 ʈuɱɓɭiɳɠ.ƌičɛ

ʈuɱɓɭiɳɠ.ƌičɛ

Hitchhiker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted October 07 2016 - 04:12 AM

I don't believe there is a "Truth", with a capital T.  There is only "truth" that is supported by facts as they are currently understood.  By observing and experimenting we are continually refining out estimation of the truth, approaching it in a asymptotic manner.  All truth is preliminary, subject to the results of the next experiment.

As to why people can't seem to agree on the truth I believe it is a result of our different prejudices and "beliefs" (things we accept as fact with no actual evidence).  People are unwilling to critically examine their own conclusions for a variety of reasons: pride, fear, peer pressure, etc.  People hate to be wrong.  Honestly seeking truth is a character-building experience.

348r02f.jpg

#17 Okiefreak

Okiefreak

• PipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:37 AM

1. The only real Truth that can be encountered is the immediate experience of an organism with its environment. 

2. The understanding of this immediate experience requires comparing that experience to other direct experiences through analogies. 

3. All that we can know other than what we directly experience in the present moment is nothing more than analogy.

I think I pretty much agree with what you're saying but not with the way you put it. 1. I'm not sure we encounter any real Truth even by our immediate experiences, or if we do, we can know that. We could be brains in a jar being subjected to Matrix-style experiences. Some philosophers and scientists actually believe that this is likely. 2. the understanding of this immediate experiences is a result of constructs. I'm still not convinced that these are all simply analogies. I do agree that we all see Truth differently because of our different backgrounds and life experiences, and possibly different genetic inheritance.

Edited by Okiefreak, October 07 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#18 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:56 AM

In terms of relative truths as known by mind through analytical reason, I think probably mathematical truth is about the closest we get to something irrefutable. Once the terms are understood and agreed upon, 2+2=4 is very hard to dispute.

#19 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 10:01 AM

I am here responding to this thread at this moment, and that is the truth!

#20 PeakVista

PeakVista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains - Colorado - USA

Posted October 07 2016 - 10:24 AM

As Lao Tzu  said, “The Truth that can be defined is not the Absolute Truth.

The names that can be given it are not Absolute names. It is the origin of heaven and earth. When named it is the mother of all things”.

To put it simply:

Truth is whatever a group of people define what it is at a certain point in time.  

Lao Tzu's statements above prove this one sentence correct.  Perception is reality.

Edit:  This is not the absolute truth though.  I cannot say what is the absolute truth on anything.

Edited by PeakVista, October 07 2016 - 10:30 AM.