The Spider-Trap-Fly-Man-Trap-Spider Paradox

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by The Walking Dickhead, Oct 4, 2016.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

If spiders are as good at catching flies as they are supposed to be, then why the fuck are flies better than spiders at avoiding being trapped under a giant glass?

Flies can fly, but spiders can jump and they have the same number of legs as both humans and flies combined. They also have the same number of extra legs as humans than a fly has. Flies have three times as many legs as humans AND wings but spiders have 4 times and can create webs. What might look like smoke to a fly is actually a silky web of deceit.

Also, flies are dirty but spiders are clean. Is that so, well why the fuck are spiders the ones who like to leave their shit all over my ceiling and down the back of my wardrobe?

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

better the spiders shit than the flies. spiders dont spend their spare time in a pile of horse or cat or dog shit.
    as for being caught, the spider dont give a shit. they are like the honey badger of the insect world. put a glass bowl over them and they say fuck you im gonna chill out here because thats what i want to do.
    kind of like the chicken crossing the road. he dont give a shit he will just cross quickly enough to not get hit. but a squirrel which is much faster is a twitchy fucker. they will just run around like a chicken with its head cut off and sometimes that will turn it into roadkill.

3. The Walking Dickhead

Spiders that I trap don't look very chilled out. They think the way out is the bottom of the glass, then they realise their folly.

Spiders can't run up glass, neither can humans. But flies can.

Why can't spiders walk on glass? Have you ever seen a spider on a window.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

5. The Walking Dickhead

This sheds a whole new light on the matter

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

you must have those jittery breed of spiders over there.
    this side of the pond they just hang around unless there is food to get got.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

8. The Walking Dickhead

You can keep your banana spiders

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

from some random dude.

Some spiders' feet work like gecko feet (see link below) in that they utilize microscopic hairs that utilize intramolecular van der walls forces with the surface they cling to. Now I know that some other insects basically just have really sharp points on their feet that jab into whatever they're walking on (let a big beetle climb on your hand and you'll know what I'm talking about), but I don't know if any spiders use this physical connection as well.

So I could think of a couple reasons why spiders might not climb up your bathtub. First, it could be made of a different type of material, perhaps a less polar material than glass. If you have a fiberglass or acryllic bathtub, it is made of organic polymers, which has less of a tendency to bond to stuff than glass (that's why my acrylic-coated sink is easier to clean than my glasses). Might be as simple as that. Or it might have to do with little microscopic cracks on a glass that are not present in your bathtub. Incidentally, the enamel coating on an old-fashioned, cast-iron bathtub is a type of glass, so I would expect that a spider might act more glass-like in an old clawfoot tub, unless it's been refinished with an organic paint.

The properties of gecko and spider feet are still being studied by scientists today and are not completely understood. It's a cool area of active scientific research. I bet that's a cool field to get into if you're interested. It's kind of nanotechnology meets biology.