Aloe Vera - Just A Little Hope

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by StellarCoon, Sep 18, 2016.

1. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Three years ago my aunt received a small aloe vera plant as a gift from another family member. After she had it a while it got really sick, and the plant had almost turned completely brown. She was almost certain that it was dead and was just about to throw it away. I got it from her, not sure myself if there was any life left in it, and with no experience at all with this species, but I managed to nurse it back to health. It grew many times it's original size and today(3 years later) I discovered, after leaving it out in the sun all summer, I had 10 new aloe vera plants sprouting from the mother's base.

[​IMG]

I replanted two
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. morrow

morrow Visitor

It's a great plant to have, and you did good!

Now you need to find out how to use it

It's great for skin problems, and even as a drink!

Also, Christmas is coming, gift the small ones to people, get some info from the internet, and print it out on some card! How easy is that?

Well done!

3. StellarCoon

I used it once to treat a burn when I lacked burn-cream.

The card thing is not a bad idea. That would prevent many deaths.

I plan on giving all away except for two.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's pretty neat. My mom loves gardening too.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I love aloe. My boyfriend kills every aloe plant I get by thinking it could use some sun so he sticks it outside then doesn't realize he needs to bring it back in before the huge rainstorm expected later the same day...or decides it could use some fresh air in January in 30 degree weather.

I'm on my third plant now and told him he can't under any circumstances touch it lol.

It is doing okay but there are 4 different plants in one pot at this point and and I really need to repot them individually

Boogiephx likes this.
  6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Aloe is the one plant that I consistently cannot grow. I don't even do "interesting" things to it like Meliai's boyfriend and yet I still manage to kill them. :-(

I try not to water it too much nor too little. I have always made sure to put it (the now RIP aloes) in light but not direct sun. But then direct sun would be almost impossible since there is a canopy (of trees) over most of the house.

You did excellent! When you put it outside, WAS it in direct sun? How much water? I want advice! lol

There is a part of me that knows I will try to grow yet another aloe. :)

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Far out! My grandmother always had one in the kitchen window...she would use it if she got burns while cooking. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. StellarCoon

It only received direct sunlight for maybe half the day due to where it was positioned outside. It was watered by rain, which was roughly once every two weeks. It needs well-drained soil. So I use a mix of potting soil with sand. Also use a pot with good drainage. When it went over 95F I would bring it inside. Summer sun seemed to cook it. The leaves were droopy and very warm to the touch when it reached those temperatures.

What usually kills aloe vera:
    -excess watering
    -too much sun

Aloe very is a tropical, and only semi-desert plant. It is also a succulent hence the weakness to over-watering. They do well indoors too on a windowsill.

In conclusion:

1.water lightly, don't flood it, and make sure it drains
    2.don't treat it like a desert plant when it comes to sunlight

pattymary and Lynnbrown like this.
  9. StellarCoon

I've just confirmed why some of the leaf tips were turning brown, at least in my case. Over exposure to sun will give the leaves sunburn. So I reduced the sun exposure and the leaves went back to a green color in about 3 days. Some leaves were so brown they literally looked like they needed to be removed from the rest of the plant. I am surprised at how well it has recovered.

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/8/88/Revive-a-Dying-Aloe-Vera-Plant-Step-11.jpg/aid43675-728px-Revive-a-Dying-Aloe-Vera-Plant-Step-11.jpg

pattymary likes this.
  10. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Aloe is great! I have treated some pretty bad burns with it before, by changing it every few hours.

Kudos on the "Karen" avatar too. She's a very sensible person.

1 person likes this.
  11. pattymary

pattymary Member

fantastic plant!!!it is a pleasure to see yours!!
    That precious plant is called"sinkle Bible" in Jamaica, it means it is the Bible in terms of healing power..
    It is true it is soothing burnt and mosquitoes bites when rubbed on the skin, but it has a lot more uses, especially taken orally.It is possible to juice the jelly part , and use it as a purge , this is especially good for the guts to balance the bacterias for a good digestion..Aloe Vera has also vitamin B12, that is quite rare for a plant, and very suitable for vegans and non-vegans to get their B12 dose..
    I am going to tell you what i am doing when my eyes are getting tired of using computer too much, I am wrapping two little pieces of the jelly in some pieces of clothe, tee-shirt type fabric, and putting them on my eyes as a mask during 20 minutes, it is relieving my eyes..
    Wonderful plant, thanks for all these beautiful pictures!!

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

oh memories. This aloe plant is now most definitely dead.

RIP

13. StellarCoon

Update:

Because of the cold weather, the plants are now indoors. They are now greener than ever since they've lost their sunburn marks. The babies are growing well, most are still attached to the parent. I should really separate them now.

14. StellarCoon

Update:
    [​IMG]

Super thick leaves
    [​IMG]

2 offspring have been removed
    [​IMG]

Top shot
    [​IMG]

pattymary and Aerianne like this.
  15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They're so pretty!

1 person likes this.
  16. StellarCoon

Thanks. They are a lot greener than they were in my first shots. Now I wait until the soil is completely dry before watering as recommended. It seems to be working well.

1 person likes this.
  17. pattymary

pattymary Member

They are so nice!!
    This Summer was extremely hot, I had some Aloe Vera suckers that stayed brown during the drought, but a few days ago, when it started to rain again, they became green!
    This plant is always amazing me, I found a new use for it: I am chewing a little piece and using it as toothpaste, with the toothbrush it is creating a foam that is cleaning and non-toxic, after that I rinse my teeth with a home-made mouthwash made with soda , water, and essential oils, Aloe Vera definitely is remplacing my toothpaste!! IMG_0413.JPG

StellarCoon likes this.
  18. pattymary

pattymary Member

Look at this picture I took from aloe vera flowers and a doctor bird , there were numerous suckers too, that is where I got mine.. DSC02306.JPG DSC02309.JPG DSC02306.JPG DSC02309.JPG

Boogiephx and StellarCoon like this.
  19. pattymary

pattymary Member

useful info about aloe vera!! aloe-vera.jpg

StellarCoon likes this.