Quarry

Discussion in 'TV' started by The Walking Dickhead, Sep 16, 2016.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

The new Cinemax series hot on the tail of the recently deceased Banshee.

This time there's no Alan Ball, just some new writers, directors.

Something about Vietnam, ptsd, MK-Ultra and more whisky.

Pilot didn't really work for me, I found the acting and scripts rather empty and predictable, but I think it has potential.

Another British actor, Scottish actor cast in an American role, Peter Mullan as "The Broker" not a very convincing accent there.

2. The Walking Dickhead

And the award for the worst fake American accent in the history of ever goes to.. Peter Mullan for his portrayal of The Broker..

Cool show so far nonetheless, I think it's going to work for me.

3. The Walking Dickhead

Nikki Amuka-Bird who plays ruth is also a British actress, well she was born in Nigeria but she grew up in the UK. I knew I recognised her from somewhere- Survivors and House of Fools.

What is it with US TV shows signing up British actors to play American parts? Don't you have enough actors over there or something?

4. The Walking Dickhead

Episode 3

Notable performances from Jodi Balfour, Damon Herriman (the token gay main character) and Edoardo Ballerini

This is turning out to be another cool show, and the tunes are pretty slick too. Thank fuck for TrackID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cTJKb6xuhA

I loved the bit where Joni
    after just being rescued from the clutches of an evil psychopathic rapist still finds the heart to give water to a thirsty dog

I think she would be a good choice for a remake of Straw Dogs, if they hadn't already made a terrible remake of it.

I love the way they always end the each episode with a cool old tune you never realised you liked, or even heard before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAimee5dyw

5. The Walking Dickhead

Not sure what the opverall plot is just yet, but this latest episode had some cool tunes in it. They have real musicians in playing real music from the 70's

6. The Walking Dickhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2IpoTKnDPw

1 person likes this.
  7. The Walking Dickhead

Superb season finale. It's just like a really long film, great cinematography. The flash back scenes to Vietnam were really out there, vivid, plot's all starting to make sense now.

Hope it's not a standalone season and there's more, but if it is then it's definitely worth another watch!

This'll get awards next year, I predict.

And Peter Mullan grew on me towards the end, great to see "Swannie!" back in business lol he's certainly moved up the market since the 1990's

Cool as fuck.

8. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Banshee had prettier girls.
    And a better plot.

I always watch 'Skinimax' shows for the flesh.

9. The Walking Dickhead

True on the girls, but plotwise?

Quarry wins. It's more subtle, deeper whereas Banshee was to a degree just cheap drama, guns n roses.

Not dissing Banshee but Quarry is more intelligent, and more art house.

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

The bump on the lead actors forehead distracted me too.
    Just finished it this morning, apart from the first 5 minutes (fairground shootout) it was pointless shit.
    All the agonizing about killing babies in the village ...... like what Vietnam vet didn't do that?

11. The Walking Dickhead

Yeah and the lead guy in Banshee had the reverse, he had this weird dent in his head, like someone had fired a ball of lead the size of a ping pong ball at his forehead

Quarry is slower paced than Banshee, but far from boring I'd say. I loved all the early 70's music, some of it from record and some of it from actual live bands they hired to play for the show. And the black guy Moses played by Mustafa Shakir is just the coolest ****** ever.

For me it has an extra appeal based on the fact it's set in the year I was born, so the still alive grenade baby torso scene kind of made me think, that's about how old I would have been when that scene was based.

Banshee was also cool as fuck, I loved that show too but the constant fighting-fucking-fighting s&m shit got a bit boring at times, as did the chaotic, non-linear cinematography. But the characters all grew on me just like they are doing on Quarry, so that's the main thing.

The production and cinematography was top notch, and really has an early 1970's feel to it. Maybe Logan Marshall Green is slightly wooden, but that's the role he plays, Vietnam vet with ptsd, I think he bounces off the rest of the characters well enough.

Asides from Banshee, which is all about the cheap thrills, this show has a bit more meaningful, political stuff going on as well and I'm sure if it carries on into another series will develop further into some pretty nice story lines.

12. The Walking Dickhead

I'm hearing this late 1960's early 1970's music everywhere I go now

Gig tonight that surprised me. Radio 6 tonight is just churning out the early motown blues. The other day it was a975 ???

And Quarry. Where I'm at now, where the world is and the transition conditioning, maybe tripping out slightly to something a man I know made in his kitchen.

Feeling a bit like shaking off a few demons, going out into the real world and meeting people, in the meantime the entire political and meteorological world is still collapsing around me

As a very one sided anti-war activist for 20 years going now and one who has been maybe a little harsh on our soldiers,