Would You Follow Jesus?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thefutureawaits, Sep 11, 2016.

1. I would go as long as he wasn't too preachy. It would be an adventure.

3 people like this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Its a myth that he was distributing it for free.

3. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Would I be back in time for the Daily Show?

I wouldn't have to join some weird cult, would I?

Maybe I shouldn't------better yet, he could come with me!

2 people like this.
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I would. I would trust his intuition as I consider him enlightened.

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, as long as the Jesus in question was Black

Hotwater

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

7. Asmodean

A black jew. Not impossible :p

Btw in medieval Europe most people didn't realize at all Jesus was jewish teehee. But they disliked jews for a large part because 'they killed jeebus'.

8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

^ And yet they didn't mind Italians, who were the one's who actually did the dirty work.

9. Asmodean

Not sure they were seen as italians back then, there were just a bunch of states so one was more likely seen as a person from Napoli or as a venetian, lombardian (sp? :p) etc.
    But the point you're making is spot on!

1 person likes this.
  10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Before the rise of Christian bankers like the Medici in the 15th century, Jews were often viewed with suspicion in Christian Europe because they were usurers - they charged interest on lending money which was seen as a sin. I think though that they didn't like Jews simply because they were different and had different customs. Medieval Christians had a mind set that was far from cosmopolitan.

Hate to do this and I'm sure you know I don't do it to be critical, but 'Lombard' is the word. :book:

11. Asmodean

I asked for it (literally!) :p

About the jews and their monetary focus on jobs: as i understand it was one of the few trades they weren't excluded from, so thats how an above average amount of jewish europeans got into that work. Also, most other medieval europeans were forbidden to make profit just on lending money (it was not the christian thing to do). Jews weren't.. and 1+1=2 :p

12. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If this is true, it is unfortunate. Usury obviously creates a bad image and ill will in the public eye, adding to the prejudices piled on the Jews. I knew that they were usurers, but I did not knew that this was because of compulsive exclusion from other trades.

The charecterisations of Shylock, Fagin in western literature probably stemmed from their involvement in this trade and the consequent ill will and antipathy.

13. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

"Would You Follow Jesus?"

Depends on where he's going...

Walmart? Probably not.
    A museum? Probably
    A library? Only if he promised to whisper there. People really piss me off when they talk at normal conversation level in libraries.

1 person likes this.
  14. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

oh no..not me..I do not believe in religions...
    my only religion is being a hippie..I've been one since 1966...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

hell i don't trust anybody that much and i'd question the sanity of anyone who would. but you know, i'd have to ask if you were talking about the actual guy, if there was an actual, guy, or the fantasy 'christian' religions have made out of him. i'm more interested in places then personalities. that and i don't believe in this idea of leading or following, any one or any thing, at all. and if anyone says its inevitible to do so, i'd have to call bullshit on them.

from what i understand, he was, or might have been, a pretty cool guy. but like i said, i don't believe in leading or following anyone. that would be risky business to follow what i believe he was, a kind of che guivera, until the last three years of his life, and then that was a kind of risky business for another reason. and i'm not big on taking risks. at least not for anything other then the kind of world i think everyone, and i know myself, would be happier living in.

so no, i'm not following anyone anywhere. if they're inviting me to an event i can get to on the bus, that begins and ends while its running, i'll show up under my own power, and check it out for myself.

and i really don't want to spend eternity hanging out with a bunch of drooling psycho-fans, of any one or any thing. if i don't have to eat or sleep, drop me off in a forest somewhere that i can play and make things with the trees, and make frends with whatever little furry things live in them.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

of course i would follow jesus. when the gardener says "yo, come here! miras, es muy malo!" you go and look at what he found in your yard.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

good one. but i don't even have a yard, let alone a gardner. i only think i've ever actually known one person who did.

18. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

NO

19. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I think anyone who encountered Jesus would run off scared of the supernatural, including the most devout Christian. For one thing, there's no way of knowing he's not the anti-Christ.

20. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Name and form is illusory, so there is some truth in this. The Christ principle transcends name and form.

It is hard for the conditioned ego, characterized by cravings and aversions, to recognize the Christ principle . Through Awareness or Love, one transcends the ego and attains intuitive knowledge.

Jesus obviously will come in the form that is most despicable, unattractive and ugly so that the egotists will go away repelled, while those established in Awareness or Love will intuitively recognize him and enjoy His company.