How Do You Feel About The No Dakota Access Pipeline Protest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mountain Valley Wolf, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Wasn't the whole land, at some point, native? :D

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

This is so upsetting, and it seems the government (state gov't there) is trying desperately to bury this. Which of course does not surprise me...we (US citizens) only need to look at the real history of the USA and how Native Americans were tricked, herded like animals to "appropriate places" and intentionally murdered by the same people that claimed to be giving them sanctuary. The fact that their land was diligently and skillfully stolen is also supposed to be forgotten.

This latest shit that was intentionally perpetrated on Native American land, completely disregarding everything they believe and uphold as sacred, just shows how much power these pipe line people apparently feel they have.

While I am glad that Obama stopped this construction for the time being, it does not erase the damage that has already happened. Nothing can "fix" it either. I should say that from what I've read the Pres has stopped construction, but apparently the trouble has not stopped.

WTF... that is what I think.

Haven't all of us transplanted "Americans" done enough damage...it seems not. smh

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It angers me the most when historical artifacts are destroyed (and graves disturbed, too).

How do these people sleep at night?

You know what happened in Poltergeist when they disregarded the graves.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I think these people actually get their kicks out of doing things like that... One could only hope it comes back at them someday.

5. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I have lots of Sioux friends from White Clay and Pine Ridge and Rose Bud. I support The Sioux.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aerianne

I heard that at last count there were 6,000

Call to Action Update
    256 Tribes and First Nations sending Letter or Resolution of Support
    221 Federally Recognized Tribes
    35 Indigenous/First Nations

180 Organizations, Cities, & Business Sending Letter or Resolution of Support
    5 Cities sending Resolutions or Letters of Support
    1. City of Lawrence, Kansas
    2. City of Minneapolis
    3. City of Portland
    4. City of Seattle
    5. City of St. Paul

Lists of tribes and organizations along with of the support letters and resolutions will be updated on SRST website soon.

https://www.************/Standing-Rock-Sioux-Tribe-402298239798452/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Some of the destruction happened over labor day weekend---particularly at night. The protestors didn't think they would be that sneaky, and trusted that there would be no destruction/construction.

8. Mountain Valley Wolf

Most of my Lakota friends come from Rosebud and Pine Ridge, Though I have quite a few, even from a rez in Canada. The board of the nonprofit I referred to (White Horse Creek Council----we are on Facebook) is mostly represented by people from Pine Ridge. We also have a Cheyenne woman, and an Apache that is not on the board but he is pretty active.

1 person likes this.
  9. stormountainman

Contact Glenn Morris, professor of Political Science at DU. He is Shawnee; and, he knows some heavy hitters from AIM, knows Dennis Banks, Russell Means, Peltier and so on. I know there is an Arab Lawyer in South Dakota who has helped the Sioux for years. His father was Jim Abresk, former US Senator. I think the son's first name is David. I would like to see the Sioux and people who love the earth stop the corporations. I haven't heard from Vine Deloria in a long time. I don't know if he still lives in Denver, or if even alive. Our mutual friends are all in the upper seventies now. You might want to look him up. I lived in Fort Collins for 36 years and will be back there in the Spring. I've got some medical issues here in Indiana. Take Care Bro! Peace & Light!

1 person likes this.
  10. stormountainman

The courts have over and over said corporations have "personhood" as in one person one vote. The Citizens United case said they can make donations like any other person with First Amendment protection. It's funny how a corporation like this Dakota Access, which the courts recognize as a person, can have more power than thousands of Native American persons.

11. Mountain Valley Wolf

Unfortunately Russell Means has passed on as has Vine Deloria. I'm good friends with the relatives of Russell. They are all Aimsters.

CItizens United is an abomination for all living people... :-(

12. stormountainman

Right On Brother. Keep up the good work for the good human beings. I wish that I wasn't getting medical care; otherwise, I would be there right along side of you!

1 person likes this.
  13. Aerianne

If you want to get a sense of what it's like at the protest, go to youtube and search Sacred Stone Camp and/or Standing Rock.

This video gives you a small glimpse of the camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfJJHNpsrM

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Major oil pipeline leak was reported today in Georgia and Alabama.

But I'm sure that will be completely overlooked in regards to the Dakota pipeline. Profit over people always

15. Aerianne

All the "State Of Emergency" regarding this is concerned with is gasoline shortages and prices for a few days.

There's no talk at all of environmental impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHAalkfC6rI

http://www.ecowatch.com/colonial-pipeline-gasoline-spill-2006499541.html

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

17. Mountain Valley Wolf

Excerpt from a Report yesterday by Amy Goodman from Standing Rock

"I'm here for my grandchildren, for my grandchildren's grandchildren, for your grandchildren. Will you hit us with those wands? We are women. We are unarmed. We are here to pray for you. Do you feel good holding those wands against a line of women? We are unarmed. Go back home and tell your wives, your mothers, your grandmothers, that you are prepared to hit women with batons for exercising our right to free speech, our right to freedom of religion, our right to protect our land. You go home and tell your mothers that. See how they feel."

-----------Woman identified only as Protestor 4. News report by Amy Goodman: Report from Standing Rock: 100+ Militiarized Police Deployed Against Native American Water Protestors. 10/17/16

18. storch

storch banned

19. Aerianne

2 people like this.
  20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I think we should give all the land back to the Native Americans and lease it from them on their own terms.
    If they want a pipeline then fine, otherwise it just doesn’t get built

Hotwater