Highest Point Where You Live

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by tumbling.dice, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

915 meters is roughly where the town is.

But Zugspitze in Bavaria is almost 3000m.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Mount Greylock a paltry 3,500 feet ..................

but if you could go back in time 100,000,000 years ago these mountains were as high as the Himalayas are today

[​IMG]

Hotwater

Pete's Draggin' and magickman like this.
  3. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

I've lived in Maine twice. Their highest point is Mount Katadhin, about 5,268 feet ASL. It's part of Baxter State Park. Of course, I lived in York County. The towns were on the shoreline, so elevation was quite minimal.

Mount Greylock has a couple of FM transmitters and at least one TV transmitter (a relay of ABC from Albany, NY on channel 19, licensed to nearby Adams, MA.).

Back in the day, Mount Washington, New Hampshire and New England's highest point, was home to the transmitter for WMTW-TV (ABC) channel 8 of Poland Spring, ME. A digital signal in the greater Portland area wasn't going to work from that distance. These days, they're in Baldwin, ME, close to Lake Sebago.

hotwater likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

5. F6C

F6C Members

Looks like a picture postcardb Mally - stunning. I must take a trip there someday soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

There is a 1699 metres elevated mountain where I live. The ski resort is located at 1320 metres. And 21 km away from my home.

In January 2017, snow depth was 250 cm in the ski resort.

8. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Mt Whitney- I have been to the top and it was almost 15 hours rt.

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Didn’t they recently find the Body of missing hiker on Mt. Whitney?

10. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Not to sure, but I imagine so. It seems even here in the SoCal mountains. People are always going missing or dying. It may be just the sheer numbers of hikers and wanna be hikers that flood the highest mountains here

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Mt. Shasta 14,179 feet (4321.8 m)

[​IMG]

Orison and inthelibrary like this.
  12. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Shasta is a beautiful mountain

13. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are views nearby that are much more striking than at this place, such as overlooking river valleys from limestone bluffs, but this happens to be the highest elevation nearby. A mound, not a mountain, it isn't much higher than the land immediately around it. Because the rise to this point is so gradual, it appears almost flat.

Bring the cross-country skis, not the downhill ones. Elevation 376 meters above sea level.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  14. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

I live in Kocaeli Province.

The highest point in Kocaeli Province is 1699 metres (let's just say 1700 metres instead of 1699 metres).

15. KL71

The highest point of Connecticut is barely in the state. That would be the southern slope of Mount Frissell in Salisbury. It's on the Massachusetts border, 2379 feet above sea level. The highest point in my home town of New Britain, CT is the World War I monument at the top of Walnut Hill. Our main hospital is a short distance from that. I don't think it's more than 500 feet up.

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

We do not have any mountains in London, but the MacGillycuddy's Reeks, near Jane's home in Ireland are quite spectacular. Carrauntoohil stands at 1,038 meters

[​IMG]

17. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

That would be Mt. Davidson which is not only the tallest point but also has what i think is the largest cross in the world at the top. Maybe it's just the largest in America. Sometimes they light it up and you can see it from from pretty much anywhere

EDIT oops it;s a picture thread

[​IMG]

Looks like a model

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

KPIT - Pittsburgh International Airport is 1,204′
    Mount Davis, highest point in Pennsylvania, U.S., at an elevation of 3,213 feet (979 metres). The peak is on a ridge of the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains in Somerset county, 15 miles (24 km) south-southwest of Somerset, near the Maryland border

KL71 likes this.
  19. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As far as the view gos, looking up at the14,400 + top of Mt Rainier from the shoreline of Puget sound here(-10) at very low tide is awesome.

20. KL71

You can sometimes see Mount Washington, NH from Portland, ME...IF it's perfectly clear, dry and standing on their Western Prominade with good equipment. At 6,288 feet, it's the highest point in New Hampshire and New England.