Can Your Landlord Kick You Out For Smoking Weed?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by ProudAtheist32490, Sep 9, 2016.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I know plenty of people who smoke in their rental apartments lol just light incense after and don't leave the shit sitting out. Put it in a baggie inside a mason jar. The landlord has no right to enter your apartment and search your things, but they probably could kick you out if they found out or had complaints about the smell. I think that most people don't give a shit unless you're a dealer or something and have random people coming and going all the time. I'd be cautious anyway though.

Courtney Green likes this.
  2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

This is one of the reasons that i'll never buy an income property to rent out. If I ever did, it would be STRICTLY no smoking or pets. My luck I'd still get stuck with some psycho twat on medical MJ with a prescribed "therapy" service dog. Fuck that shit. Most apartment places are disgusting, nasty smoke stinking hallways. I have bad fucking lungs. I've lived in miserable apartments where I had to put towels at the door. Where I couldn't even be in my living room without getting choked up and gasping for air. I've heard these ignorant fucks, "they can't stop you if it's medical". Hey fucking assholes, there's more than one way to take MJ for pain. Don't be so fucking inconsiderate of others. THAT SHIT FUCKING STINKS and some people even NEED TO BREATHE!

4. bunnygirl

bunnygirl available in taiwan

if building is designated as a no smoking facility or lease includes a no smoking clause he certainly may exercise that stipulation. of course easiest method is to call police and notify you are cosuming illegal drugs in his building. almost all leases include no illegal activities clause that ends lease.

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Having watched 'Judge Judy' for a few years, I would say it's a matter of what resides within the four corners of the contract / lease

themnax likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

they make apartments with outside entrances. i pretty much refuse to live anywhere that has an inside shared hallway, unless there's absolutely no alternative.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

you should smoke Datura instead..

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

all laws depend on where in the world or your country you happen to be. in some places, they not only can, but go to jail themselves unless they do.
    in others of course, there are equally some when they are completely forbidden to and would suffer a heavy fine if they did.
    this is one of those, there really is no one answer that doesn't depend completely upon where you geographically are.
    it can be completely different from one jurisdiction, to the next one over right next door to it.
    only safe way, look up local court precident as local as you can.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If the lease details say no smoking they could even kick you out for smoking tobacco/cigs in your apartment.

If I rented out rooms or apartments i might try to keep it non smoking as well. I have a deal with my landlord that I paint the room when i move out, otherwise I would not be allowed to smoke in it. Everybody happy!

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes your landlord can prohibit smoking marijuana, for that matter he/she can prohibit smoking, period!

He/she has a right to protect their property from any threat, which of course includes a possible fire hazard.

11. Asmodean

Best arguments ever :rolleyes:

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

They can end the lease for any reason, just need to give you a certain number of days notice. All that is in your lease.

13. Asmodean

It depends on the details in the lease if they can end it for ANY reason.

14. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I should have stayed for no reason. It states that in most leases. As long as there’s sufficient notice. If the tenant breaks the lease, think the same thing applies but you’d usually forfeit your deposit. At least this is how most leases read in the US. If the reason is using illegal drugs, then they would have a right to end the lease.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think your own place is probably the safest place to do drugs in most cases.

16. Napoleon Hill’s Spectre

Napoleon Hill’s Spectre Members

What if you were smoking marijuana somewhere where it is legal? Fair play then?

17. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I've kicked people out for smoking weed, in the lease they've signed it says NO SMOKING. Foolish people think it only means cigarettes.

18. Asmodean

So plenty of people can and should smoke weed in their own home since 1) their lease allows smoking inside and 2) smoking weed has been decriminalized and even legalized in lots of places.

Your statement only applies to renters who are not allowed to smoke inside or live in areas where there are still serious consequences for doing a drug as marijuana.

19. Asmodean

Plenty of people can smoke legally in their own house lol. I'm sure you're aware of that too.
    If not, you must be speaking just about your own country? Which country might that be?

20. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power