Irish V American Beers !

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Mallyboppa, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

http://youtu.be/ZMWtd8QawjQ

2. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Irish people drink black beer

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So not a beer fan

But Boddingtons my favourite of all time, followed by Kilkenny

4. The Walking Dickhead

Boddingtons is a good beer if you're not a fan of beer

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats what I said

6. The Walking Dickhead

Not entirely. You said you didn't like beer, but you like Boddingtons. This does not necessarilly imply the statement that I followed yours with, however it is a reasonable assumption, to be fair.

Other people who don't like beer per se might prefer something else as their "I don't like beer but I like this one" preference. I was, in fact subtly infering that Boddies is not actually a very good beer at all, which is more or less the opposite of what you said.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i was glad they didnt pull out bud and coors and say "this is american beer" but there are still way better beers than the ones they tried, i am sure the same could be said for the irish beers too

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

That is what I was expecting, since everyone bases "American beer" on mass-produced swill like Bud and Coors.

And yeah, they could have picked better beers for the American ones. The ones featured in the video were all pretty good, but none of them were outstanding. For instance, Lagunitas IPA is a pretty solid IPA, but it's far from being one of the best American IPAs. I would have chosen one from Ballast Point or Firestone Walker. For stouts, I would have picked Old Rasputin or Bourbon County over Storm King. Storm King is pretty good, but not great.

Ireland produces a fraction of the beer that the US does. When it comes to craft beer, the US is #1, hands down.

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

So do people in all countries.

10. The Walking Dickhead

Irish people are everywhere, they have conquered the globe

11. The Walking Dickhead

Ridiculous. Best real ale comes from England.

12. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

The best Guinness I ever had was while I was in Ireland. It tasted like candy.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

this is always a fun argument because even if taste was a tangible thing i know for a fact you havnt had all the ales that the US has to offer with over 3000 breweries and counting i would take my chances that one of the ales from one of those places would be just a little better than the best english ale.

funny though that you list you are from Scotland and i have had more good ales from brewdog than i have had from all the English breweries combined.

14. The Walking Dickhead

Fuck brewdog and their overpriced crap. I can name a few other Scottish brewerys from Scotland that once were good before they were bought over by big companies and/or started putting wheat in the recipe to give the beer a head or increase profits.

Go to a real ale festival in England and drink some proper beer straight from the barrel, brewed to perfection and handled by people who know what they are doing and you'll soon change your mind about US beer. I've tried a few in bottles and I know it's not the same thing but I just found they were ridiculously overhopped, and like a lot of Scottish beers far too sharp.

Water purity and hop variety has a lot to do with it.

p.s. worst pint of guiness I ever tasted was in Orlando. Thank fuck for Beck's and pina coladas is all I have to say.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So this is going to turn into a - you are not a real man unless you drink beer thats really hoppy and bitter and disgusting

Bacteria eats sugar and poos alcohol if it doesnt have enough oxygen, all in hop flavoured bath water

16. The Walking Dickhead

No read my post. I'm saying that's the problem with a lot of Scottish or American beers. Also Belgium.

English brewers know how to get the balance right.

Go to a pub in Scotland and you'll get a pint of wheat Deuchars with all the flavour and life squeezed out of it through a nozzle that hasn't been washed properly since the 1990s. Deuchars used to be a really nice beer, crisp and refreshing. Now since Carlsberg bought it it just tastes like a flat pint of Caffreys. They brought their own yeast and decided to change the repice and marketing strategy and subsequently fucked what used to be an award winning beer.

Kestrel lager has made a comback though, and unlike Tennent's lager which used to be a golden, velvet treasure it still actually tastes good since it's brewed to similar standards as the German Purity Laws.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

its a bit too often that i have a guinness on tap and it tastes like something is wrong with it. not sure but my best guess is the taps arent cleaned correctly, whatever it is...it has made me look for other beers first when i am getting something on tap.