Jiddu Krishnamurti On The True Artist...

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ajay0, Aug 17, 2016.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Perhaps you could define it then in other terms because the way you presented this does look a lot like you think objective at is superior.

Europe was weakened by 2 world wars, but a big reason for that was the rise of the USA as the world's leading power, taking over that slot from Britain. Other than that the dominance of other cultures under imperialism has ended, it's hard to see how Europe is weaker now than in the 19th century. But if it is, that's the inevitable result of colonialism which has been a big factor in globalzation. Thus, America too is probably going to be replaced by China as the world's leading power any day.
    Still, I'd say the average European citizen is much better off now than in 1900.

I suppose it's arguable that to follow Osho would be to embrace Hinduism - but it comes close.

I don't think art as it has existed in the past really has much of a future anywhere. Most of the old cultural pursuits have been, or are being replaced by digital technology. There's no painting, literature or music nowadays that is really of much significance. To my mind anyway. None of those things hold the same central position in modern culture that they did in past epochs.

On the topic of Gurdjieff, he did co-write some quite nice piano music along with Thomas de Hartman. He needed De Hartman who was a trained composer because he lacked the technique. He didn't just acquire the compositional skills required from some kind of conscious state. And the music is nice - but not really that outstanding when compared to a great deal of other piano music.
    Although I have read the entirety of Gudjieff's writings, I think a lot of people find 'Beelzebub's Tales' an impossible read. And I am certain that he didn't intend it to be viewed as 'art'. In the case of Gurdjieff, I'd say he was probably a semi-charlatan. But interesting nonetheless.