I Have Realised That The Essence Of My Whole Life Has Been "the Double"

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by Joshua Tree, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

For the vast majority of my life I have been the loser, and now I am turning into the winner.

For those of you who have read the book, you will appreciate that neither has particularly attractive personality traits.

2. Joshua Tree

FYI this is a summary of the novel from the Encyclopedia Britannica:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Double

There was also a film made of the novel in 2013, which I personally thought was excellent:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825157/

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this would appear to me, a chosen perspective.
    castinada had an interesting perspective on the double, or his version of perceiving it.
    i don't know how useful either are, or what if any value or usefulness such a perspective might have.

i too may be a clone of some greater self, stashed away in some other corner of the universe.

it may raise continuity questions, but i fail to see how it pertains to anything else.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I have read Crime and Punishment but not this one.I'm intrigued and really want to read it.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thanks for the suggestion, i have been meaning to read some Russian lit

Sorry about your life

6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The only thing worse than never getting the punch line to a joke is wasting your entire life futilely banging your head against the wall.

Congratulations, welcome to the human race.

7. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

I haven't read the book, but your statement seems true to me. To label ones self as loser or winner is already a mistake. One can only do this if they believe in a REAL personal self. There isn't one. Once that is understood you can flow with the life around you and act spontaneously to situations, without the since of bad, good, or progress.

8. Joshua Tree

Thanks. When I started this thread last August I was having something of a personal crisis. Whenever I become ill, I tend to attack and undermine myself, and question the justification for my existence. I think a lot of it is to do with Catholic guilt, though I've been an aetheist for many years now. I'm sorry for having been melodramatic.

To go off-topic, Dostoevsky has always been my literary hero. I think he had an amazing ability to portray the inner psychology of his characters, and he is also widely respected for his talent in creating authentic female characters.

9. blazefortwenty

blazefortwenty Members

Dumb way to live your life.

If there was an unreasonable tyrant who made us light our foot on fire everyday, your "nirvana" would soon go out the window.

Tags: