Is Femisinism Compatible With Islam?

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by Bilby, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Is feminism compatible with Islam or is Islam the antithesis of feminism?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've seen some pretty emancipated and empowered muslimas, so I think yes: although not obvious, it can be compatible. Just like a christian woman can have a lot of feministic tendencies as well. If we think in absolutes and only go by theory it may look completely incompatible, and I would also conclude most muslimas are not as feministic or emancipated as most other women in our societies. The fact that there are more here than in countries that have oppressive religious/cultural regimes seems to imply that without a country's government and culture enforcing such gender roles the amount of feminist muslimas could be a lot bigger.

So it is clear at first it seems not, but in reality it seems not competely incompatible either. Our (traditionally christian) society shows it does not have to be as black and white as it seems. Sure there are some women here who still agree with the idea that they have no place in politics for example, but they are the far minority. Christian women on itself however are not as big of a minority. Lots of them would never give in any of their now aqcuired (and seen as nothing but normal to have) rights and equalities but they would also never step away from their religion/religious affiliation. I think that's how it can be with women and islam as well. Certainly in our own societies!

1 person likes this.
  3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

If hardcore punk can do it, I'm sure feminism can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMZ8DO9F4Mo

4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Feminisim go rolling in the Middle East back around 1933. Women in the Middle East started to acquire rights, like the right to vote, divorce, and dress the way they want, and to drive a car. In many areas they are way ahead of women in America, like in Equal Pay for Equal work. Women in Iraq have had equality in pay for decades. Hillary Clinton is talking about the need for it today.

5. Bilby

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not really. Maybe you mean a specific part on there? Be specific. Posting a facebook link and say nothing more than this says it all is a bit lazy.

7. Bilby

Well I agree with everything she has to say.