What Is Time?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Bud D, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Can't wait!

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Time It So You Give Me Plenty Of Time In Advance And I Will Make Time To Read All About Your Time With Time......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

3. Lobber

Lobber Members

Okay, so as you know, time is usually just a single dimension. Okay. Us. The universe. Past, present future.
    However, this dimension of time is also aligned, and created, along with space. Spacetime. Thus, the physical universe has it's own dimension of time.
    However, heaven also exists. They have time, long before the universe was created. So that's a dimension.
    However, God himself has existed for infinity. He has his own dimension of time that he defines.
    There's your three dimension of time. God Time, Angel Time, and Universe Time.
    Unless you don't think those things you cannot prove don't exist, then just ignore this post.
    You have time to think it over.

4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

How Can You Have "Angel Time"...[​IMG] ...We All Know Angels Don't Wear Watches.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

You loose.

6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Time is Indeterminate which makes it a metaphor and sometimes it will even express self-organizing systems logic. Without change time is meaningless as the Quantum Zeno Effect demonstrates so well.

7. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

Time is a dot, not a line.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm not sure I've heard time referred to as a 'force' before. I think the general idea of time is to consider it more of a dimension, so for instance like length of an object isn't a 'force' but the interaction of the strong force, electromagnetism, gravity and weak force allows us, with our limited perceptual capabilities to draw a line in space which we call 'length' to give us that dimension.

From my understanding, the general consensus at the present moment is that, at the beginning of the universe, 3 of the forces can be accounted for to essentially being the same thing. However gravity has somehow eluded present formulas as to being included with the other forces and this is a giant question mark in science as to how this can be. This has led to various other theoretical theories, some of which I'm sure you've heard of (I.E. String Theory) but none have been definitely proven.

To go back to my first paragraph, our bodies/beings develop or emerge under specific conditions, where I think the concept of time is inextricably linked to our experience of being human. However, perhaps it's hypothetically conceivable that at some level of reality, time doesn't exist in the same way length doesn't exist. It just seems rather meaningless to me to make such a statement since we will never experience that level of reality as a human being.

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I always thought that time was just a measurement, much like what you just said.

10. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

To say time is merely a measurement is a contradiction in terms that merely begs the question of what is a measurement.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I mean is it a way we as a human species measure things. Ask an animal how old they are. they don't know or get that concept. Ask them how many years ago 2012 was...again...not a measuring concept for them.....What time is it, Moxy? What do you mean time?...Oh, it is time for me to eat.....lol

1 person likes this.
  12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Lol @ time for me to eat...

In regards to the 2012 point, there are many humans you can ask that question to on different calendar systems, where that question might be unintelligible or certainly very different from what we'd perceive as the 'correct' answer.

Keeping in line with other measuring concepts, it's kind of the same vein of US measuring techniques vs metric.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91RHD0RSRxY

1 person likes this.
  14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

or for the answer you are more likely to find on this site...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nptDP35Tb0

15. wheattie_70

wheattie_70 Members

You are incorrect....gravity does not slow down time. Time moves the same on the space station as is does on Earth, thus disproving your statement.

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i really doubt brian cox is reading these forms, although i would love to see that interaction.

17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

You lose.

18. Asmodean

Time is also a way to measure things, but it doesn't stop there (obviously). There is both the concept of time and there is this thing like getting old and erosion etc. etc. which is not just a concept or measurement but just somethng we are all subject to wether we are a human, a dog, a worm or a piece of stone.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Aging and erosion are definitely concepts and can be measured by time...

I got a vague notion that you are suggesting something along the lines of entropy being a aspect of time, but care to clarify what you mean?

20. Asmodean

I am stating the obvious that the word time is ment for 2 different things. 1) it is the term used as a way to measure things (year, hour etc.), but 2) time is also something that is evidently occuring even if no one in the universe would observe it. How are we certain of that? Because things like erosion, planets turning around suns and change of seasons, etc. etc. would also happen without anyone/thing in the world to observe it/invent a concept for it. Now, even if we could credit gravity mainly for the fact that these happenings are occuring, the fact that a planet looks like this one time and like that some time later (due to their position to the sun, or due to erosion for example) even if there's no one to observe it :p makes it evident time (whatever it exactly is) exists outside human thought/concept as well.

1 person likes this.