Newbie-Ish To Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by green_plums, Jul 23, 2016.

1. green_plums

green_plums Members

Hello.

I've been thinking about having dreadlocks for awhile, I'm waiting till my hairs a good length before I choose to have them.

A few things are making me feel as though as it's a bad idea, I was wondering if anyone here could answer them?

Okay, so first question is white guys/girls with dreadlocks how much hate have you received by having dreadlocks? This is one of my main concerns about having them... I don't really want to be hated on for having them.

I can't imagine myself with them, I really want to have them but what if I have them and I look silly? Has anyone else felt the same?

I'll be having them done professionally, I don't really trust myself here's the person who I'll be seeking out what do you think of her work?

Last question, here's a photo I took of me. Does my hair look thick enough? I feel like it can be too thin...

I just like big, long hair I always have and I don't want to get to the point where I'm too old and going bald to have them, I'm 22 years old.

Also, aftercare tips would be handy :)

Thank you!

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Here is my experience. Most of the compliments I've gotten on my dreads have been from black people. If you are confident in yourself and who you are fuck other people. An important piece of advice I got from a friend who has had dreads for years told me that in order for people to think I'm half as clean as they are I have to be twice as clean as they are. Most of the crap I've gotten has been from white people who bought a line of bullshit that people who had dreads didn't wash or comb their hair.

The other thing I did was for the most part stop wearing Rasta colors when I first got mine because I didn't want to be confused with a Trustafarian. As I became confident with mine I started wearing the colors even though I'm not a Rasta. I also read up and found out what dreads meant in other cultures including Rastafarianism, Indian Sadhus, Vikings, Scots, etc. I also tried to understand what the dreads mean to me in case I did catch flack. In any case I don't wear an Army Shirt with a Rasta Striped Jah Warrior Sargent patch as that would be disingenuous of who I am and disrespectful of a culture that I don't know enough about.

While we are on the subject of stereotypes I've had 2 other interesting things happen to me. I used to work in an inner city youth program. Before and after work people would either ask me for drugs, ask me if I wanted drugs, or get real quiet as they thought I was an undercover Narc.

If you think you can hang with that go for it. If you don't like them remember that It's hair, it can be cut off and grown back.

As for after care do a deep clean with Apple Cider Vinegar and baking soda about a month after you start them. You can find instructions online. The ones I do often include Lavender, Tea Tree, and Rosemary essential oils and I repeat them once my dreads stop smelling like them. Other than that I try to wash my hair at least twice during a shower and wash my hair every second or third shower as I shower daily. Keep them dry and periodically separate them at the roots on a regular basis.

C/S,
    Rev J

2 people like this.
  3. green_plums

green_plums Members

Thanks for your response Rev. :)

4. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I love dreads,and would consider having them myself,except.....what if you got head lice?I've never had either,but I could imagine trying to get rid of head lice using a treatment,and then having dead head lice trapped in the dreads?lol Apart from that,I've always liked the look of them,and admire people who have them!

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

For lice I've heard of using Olive Oil and Rubbing Alcohol to get rid of them.

C/S,
    Rev J

6. topazann

topazann Members

If you want to extend them, extend them.
    When i got my dreads i was blonde , but I was at Goa and I was not alone, a lot of australian girls did same.
    Despite what people says about them, you are your own mind.

If you extend them and don't like them, you can always take them back out and carry on normaly. I cut of after 4 month.