Long Hair On Guys Was Considered Cool?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by SJWDefener, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

[​IMG]

To be honest, I miss 2000s fashion the most; this decade's fashion lacks that edginess which makes me think we've somehow become less tolerant as a society.

2 people like this.
  2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I love long hair on guys still, the longer the better!
    So long as it's clean, I think it's amazing!
    Welcome to hip sj

3 people like this.
  3. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

thank you

4. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

Long hair is still awesome. although I'm not a huge fan of man buns.....hair buns, not actual man buns, those I like [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seems like a particular style of long hair for men is really cool or in fashion atm. But to me it seems a good head of long hair never became uncool for men. Now those so called edgy styles that remind me of 80's glam rockers, that was indeed only cool a couple of years and I for one can see why :p

1 person likes this.
  6. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

Why do people hate edgy things :( I feel like if those styles aren't around, those people in the Deep South have won. Honestly, I hate having short hair.

7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I recall a time when it was pretty un-cool for a man not to have long hair. It was a kind of badge of being part of some now defunct counter-culture.

tjr1964, magickman and creampie00 like this.
  8. Asmodean

I don't hate edgy things, it is just that where it comes to long hair on guys the ugliest style I can think of is the one in the pic you posted. Just my personal taste.

9. creampie00

The worst long-ish hair doo's on men are ones like that Keith Urban dude, he's got woman long hair. shoulder-length, cut just so, parted just the right way and an array of highlights. That's a little on the girly side. A guy with a nice big messy mane of hair is much cooler.

1 person likes this.
  10. Asmodean

No way, the worst style is definitely something emo or glam rock related!

1 person likes this.
  11. creampie00

of course glam rock hair is horrible! Oh, that just reminded me, I saw a TERRIBLE mullett this weekend, the guy had an inch of spikes on top of his head and then in the back, frizzy long hair that looked to be bleached, it was down to the middle of his back. Now THAT was an awful long hair style. I cannot believe men still rock those things. They do in Pennsyltucky anyway

12. Asmodean

I kinda like it because of the cultural typicalness of it all. It's like void of all fashion, they're just being their own peculiar self. Unlike, imho, the emo or glam rock look: that generally looks to me like someone is trying to be a part of something that's deliberately created to stand out or be part of the scene. I don't feel that hillbilly/redneck look became a thing for the same reason. Hope it makes kinda sense. I don't appreciate mullets generally for aesthetic reasons.
    To be clear I would not hold it against either of someone that they have such a hair do, unless maybe when they clearly don't 'own' their look. Then it seems just a friendly and constructive thing to point that out (although not always regarded as such by the one recieving the comment :D).

1 person likes this.
  13. creampie00

the redneck I saw with the mullett loved his hair, you could tell. He stepped right out of the 80's, had stone washed pants on that were yellowed, a pair of LA Gear sneakers and a Motley Crue shirt with the sleeves cut off. The hair fit him perfectly, it looked bad but it suited him very well. Maybe he was just a huge fan of the 80's, that was his time to shine and he is sticking with it! But yeah, long hair is not bad at all. My hubby has big puffy Slash from GnR hair, it's all over the place when he doesn't have it back... it's great! I don't think long hair is out of style at all. I would take long hair over a faux hawk any day!

1 person likes this.
  14. Asmodean

I fully understand, it's kinda what I ment too. I can appreciate that a lot with certain folks :D (after all, it is not an issue of me personally that besides how much it suits such a person it also looks bad)

I can honestly say it seems not out of style here. Besides that japanese kind of bun (which seems a fad) there are plenty of guys here that have that timeless head of long hair. Doesn't matter if they're a minority these days, they're commonly accepted as normal by most others. The ones that ramble a lot about freak flags and such place too much meaning on it anyway. Just grow it out if you like and don't be overly idealistic about it in my face (cause I WILL answer with my opinion then :p)

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I am sure long hair is still considered cool.

This however isn't:
    and thank God for that.

2 people like this.
  16. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

If you hate having short hair, then let it grow? This is such a non-issue.

People don't hate edgy things, but that hair you posted in your first post looks awful. So ugly.
    However, if you like it, go for it.

17. creampie00

when you see a dude with vintage 80's clothing, you gotta assume he's got a mullett to match!
    Yes, the man bun seems to be a big fad here too, matched with a big burly beard. I'm sure that style will fade as the mulletts and poofy hair have. I remember the days when long hair was a bad thing, people's mothers would say...Oh my word, he has long hair....now it's not a big deal at all. I do really think long hair is cool for men though. You know that guy on Counting Cars? The Count, his hair is as long as can be, thinning on top and wearing a big bandana to cover it, but his long hair makes him who he is.

18. creampie00

hahaha, this cracked me up. Agreed.

19. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The days when it meant anything to have long hair are long, long gone. Back in the 60's when I was a kid, it was kind of a reaction to the ubiquitous short hair cuts that were a relic of military hairstyles of WWII and the 50's. Styles of dress too were at that time controversial. It all caused conflict for me as a kid, as my parents were quite conservative and didn't have any time at all for long hair on men. Not until I was 15 did they allow me to grow it.

What you didn't see much really up until the 90's was men with completely shaven heads - a style that can look OK on some, but looks terrible on others IMO. When I first met Hare Krishna devotees back in the 70's they did look somewhat alien at that time - it was them, Yul Brynner and Kojak.

1 person likes this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPovmMwef8