The Hi-Fi System

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Bilby, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Is the hi-fi system obsolete?

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not in my shed.....LOL

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Not In My Cars..... :drummer: :guitarist:

Cheers Glen.

4. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Its moved to the TV. Logitec or one of the big manufacturers just came out with new speakers with a third speaker on top at a 45% angle. Merely by chirping the room the stereo can figure out all the echoes and provide true 3D sound so that, instead of surround sound, it can literally sound like someone is whispering in your ear or whatever.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What are you actually asking?

Hi fidelity vs low quality, or are those big arse 5 piece home speakers systems with 100m of wires obsolete

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's not obsolete at my house... but I've got a stash of vintage HiFi gear.

Short of some very high end stuff you can't buy HiFi gear anymore...

So while not quite "obsolete" HiFi is dead for the general public that think MP3 on their phone sounds "great".

1 person likes this.
  7. Bilby

I took my CD player to the tip when having my last spring clean. It was still in working order, but had not been used in years. These days , I copy straight on to the hard drive of my laptop and then make back up copies elsewhere. I prefer listening to music with headphone that do not require a powerful amp.

8. Tyrsonswood

You have been assimilated...

1 person likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Sometimes I do patch it through the guitar amp as every now and then you just need to crank it up

10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I used to have a big kenwood component system. I kind of miss the big old power amps that had simply 2 channels, bass, treble, loudness, and use an external EQ. I simply can't get the same rich sound from the dolby surround digitally equalized receivers. Anyway my Kenwood is long gone because my PC has been my main music player for the last 15 years at least. My current PC audio system cost me about $8 from thrift stores. Harman Kardon speakers and an Onkyo powered sub, sounds good enough for me to not bother with the component stereos much.

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I still have my old Sanyo 2033 Receiver, the 33 is for 33 watts per channel (75 wpc today). As I remember I bought it because it had really good specs as far a distortion and frequency range for the price.

This guy got hit by ball lighting one day and I had to put in a new amp. Back in the day you could buy separate amp chips for each channel.
    I have a Pioneer turntable for it, but I hooked it up to my computer.

Now I listen to public radio on it out in the garage.

[​IMG]
    Now I only listen to songs loaded on my hard drive in my car....

12. Tyrsonswood

Speaking of which..... I got a pair of Polk Audio speakers today. They are in excellent condition.

13. Bilby

In my younger days, admit to have frequently played loud music through speakers. I have come to realise that such behavior is anti-social. Not everyone shares my musical tastes. Headphones are for loud music.
    At a Confest one year ( Confest is similar to a Burning Man Festival) there was a silent disco where everyone wore cordless headphones.

14. Tyrsonswood

I'm on 8+ acres... I'll get as loud as I want. Thank You.

I've even got outdoor speaker systems planned, and most of the gear to implement them. Idiots better not complain... They shoot guns, I'll play music.

2 people like this.
  15. Bilby

Maybe out some music on for wild animals . I know that kangaroos like certain types classical music.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I love loud music but hate headphones.

Couldn't you connect that old system to your PC? I appreciate mp3s and winamp playlists a lot but also have my PC hooked up to an 15 year old hifi system.

17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Yeah, If I lived by myself I probably would have a big hifi hooked to my computer. The wife has different ideas about where the computer belongs, not in the living room.

18. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I just this weekend packed away my old hi fi system To take to work and store it (cant Bring Myself to Throw it out )
    It Comprises a Sansui Amp 65 Wpc Maranz CD Player Ariston Q Deck Turntable and Massive B&W Speakers
    I need the Space For all My other Junk so now I got a JVC micro System

My old speakers !
    [​IMG]

New ones !
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ha my 15 year old system is also JVC :-D Those jvc speakers aren't the newest right? When I'm gonna replace my old system it will also be with second hand analog stuff :)

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I visited my soon to be 93 year old father over the week end and had to get his "system" up and running for him.....again.

He has an old Fisher receiver from the 70's that hardly works, an old something or other turntable and a dried out 10 inch speaker system.

So the turntable wasn't sending anything to the amp and it was buzzing and popping or doing nothing at all. So first I had to check out the wires coming out of the arm for continuity, then the RCA cables that were patched together in four different places with wire nuts and electric tape. Next I had to remove the input jacks and re-solder a wire onto one jack. The turntable selector switch needed cleaned but I'd have to disassemble the whole cabinet as the top is not removable and he didn't want to do that.

Still didn't work so I pulled the needle cartridge out, removed all the wires and cleaned the posts, connectors, and needle. Then it worked if you ran it in mono but not stereo, so I hoped he wouldn't notice. He didn't.

For a little while, then it quit again, so I took the cartridge out and jammed a little piece of notepaper stock under the contacts to raise them up for better contact. Then it started working in stereo, but not mono. So I said, "Good enough, don't touch anything."

He was happy, we put on a Mitch Miller album, the Ink Spots, and Doris Day. Not much bass but it works and he's happy.

I keep forgetting to look at Good Will for a new system for him.

2 people like this.