What Do You Think About Psychology?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Bud D, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Oh no-----I see a violently angry butterfly. What does this mean????!!!!

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

psychology, and religion, both seem to me, to deny, that there's a whole lot more of everything else, then there is of us.

3. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

4. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Generally speaking, but it depends on the individual. After being in a car accident where our car was crushed by a double decker car transporter, we saw a shrink who was really good at pushing us into that trauma which allowed it to surface and resolve, but provided us with awesome contextual perspective that helped to integrate the remaining little bubbles that surfaced outside of our sessions.. for instance, seemingly unrelated circumstances that may trigger the trauma and why the brain would repeat that pattern of cognition, how to recognise the relationship to the accident, calm yourself out of the mind-spasm and to nurture and release those emotions.

For instance.. a big thing was claustrophobia(being trapped and helpless in the car - we were caught between a concrete block and the truck).. but it would show up in crowds too, which I think was intensified by noise levels and such.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i didn't mean to imply it wasn't useful. just that we need to ALSO remember, we don't live in a universe that revolves around our species, our planet, or what we choose to believe in.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't even really know what you're saying here but possibly you are confusing Psychology with Philosophical idealism.

Psychology definitely requires and is limited by minds/brains to study. Other things are outside the scope of Psychology.

7. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

A great plot for a Kafka story-----but then Kafka's stories were all metaphors for the mind and the human condition.

Jung wrote of a reality that went beyond the physical mind. He simply veiled it in the material terms of the brain. Other times he speculated on a physical explanation of that which was greater than the brain (such as genetic structures within our brains passing on information from our own ancestors). He introduced philosophy to a realm that stretched between the the science of psychology and the philosophy of Kant, phenomenology, and other schools including idealism.