Bookshops

Discussion in 'Books' started by autophobe2e, Jul 10, 2016.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Independent bookshops are struggling at the moment and while quite a few are finding innovative ways to stay afloat, it's getting rarer and rarer to find a proper, old-fashioned bookshop. By old fashioned I mean: disorganized, musty-smelling and staffed by a single grumpy middle aged man and a cat.

I found this absolutely brilliant one on my lunch break the other day and filmed some of the interior to get across how great this place is to browse and discover stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtGFave_tww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmYn5mm6S9s&feature=youtu.be

One of the features I really dug about this place was the "mystery books" stall he had out front. These were just half-priced books wrapped in brown paper with cryptic clues about the books titles on the front.

What do you look for in a bookshop?

P.S. if you live in the UK and you order a load of books online for convenience, but still wanna support your local bookshop, why not fuck off the tax-dodging cunts at amazon and look into hive.co.uk? you can nominate a bookshop of your choice to get a percentage of every purchase you make.

2 people like this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Books I'm afraid, and therefor some sense of organisation as well ;)

I dig the charm of an old fashioned shop but I have to be in the mood to bother the staff and let them search endlessly for me in their disorganized mess :p I'm a sucker for atmosphere anywhere.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We have The Midtown Scholar owned by EricPapenfuse. One of the primer independent book stores in the U.S.
    It's so successful Eric was elected mayor.

I don't know who the chick is.​
    http://youtu.be/xU_fmo2vvC4​

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

That's cool, when i worked up near King's Cross I was bang on the doorstep of Housman's, which is one of London's oldest radical political bookshops, really awesome place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IpSVjQGL24

And the canal there was the most common docking place for the bookbarge, London's floating bookshop (now permanently moored there, I think, it used to float around and dock in different locations)

1 person likes this.
  5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

There aren't many independent bookshops here. In fact, I can't think of a single one.
    Mostly those big chain sterile ones.
    The only ones that still have some character are the ones that sell old used books, quite a few of those here.

I like bookdepository...free shipping!!!!!!!

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the big chain ones aren't doing so great either. independents don't even exist around here, but you have to drive pretty far to even find a chain one anymore.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Come to Croatia, I'll take you to a chain bookshop.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i would love to go to croatia for several reasons, but this opportunity now tops the list.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Everybody's going to Croatia for the chain bookstores.

10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Well gotta see the motherland before you die!
    Or fatherland?
    Do I remember you saying your mother (or father) has Croatian roots?
    I hope I'm not mistaken xD

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

We have one independent bookstore here (not counting several used bookstores). They also have a little cafe in the back where they serve coffee, wine, and deserts.

I like it but it is tiny and the store owner likes to talk,whereas i like to be left alone to browse.

Is 2nd and Charles a chain? We have one of those here and i love it. They sell used books, cds, dvds, comic books, etc.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no, you're right. my mom's side of the family is mostly from there. the maternal grandparents made several visits there during their life, and they even had a croatian exchange student for a semester at one point.

that's one of my reasons for wanting to go there. in order: 1) barnes and noble. 2) janja 3) family history 4) wanderlust

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

In 2007, I wrote about Tatterd Cover, a local bookseller with three locations. While my editor wanted the story because she was opening number three in our community, I wanted to talk to her about how shops vary by location, and her stand against government interference.
    This founder (she recently sold to a couple, and they are training with her for the year to prepare themselves) refused to turn over sales transaction records for a criminal case.
    I've long thought that free speech starts with freedom of thought.

Joyce Meskis changed how bookstores and libraries retain information.
    Local libraries now purge patron records that say what they have checked out the past. What's out, what's on hold, what needs to be paid for stays, but once a book or item is returned, the name is unlinked from the patron's account.
    Meskis took to purging identifying information each day.
    Cannot demand what a seller does not have.

Now that her three stores are three and three stalls at the airport, I wonder when TC becomes a chain. Is it defined by numbers? Investor?

14. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I'm sorry, but I can't. Just like I can't go thrifting. It's too disorganized, and due to the dust I end up getting sick. To be fair, I grew up fairly poor in the begining. So, places like this were the only stores I could buy from. I know them very well. Not only that, even if I was into going to these types of stores for clothing or books... they have been taken over by hipsters or hipsters who don't think they're hipsters... that can actually afford basically the whole store in one sitting. Which I'm not trying to be judgmental and hating on hipsters, or anyone who likes vintage things, or a really good deal. I'm just saying that more often than not these people can afford buying from Amazon or Barnes & Noble, while there are plenty of people who can't, who also really love books and reading. Another thing is that many of these "old fashioned" bookstores have been "hipster approved". Basically, they have been change into a trendier place with that "old timely vibe". Actually, that's the kind of bookstore I work at now.

Don't get me wrong, I still go thrifting with my momma, and go to the book area every once in awhile. Because even though my momma is better off she is still old schooled because well, she is old, lol... I don't know how else to put it. But, I'm more a Barnes & Noble, Half Priced Books, library kind of gal.

But, I mean... you do you, man. I'm not trying to be judgemental. Even though this is coming off as judgmental. To be honest, I'm a little salty about it.

I'm still working class, or lower middle class, I believe. So, I shouldn't even be putting my nose up against these bookstores, lol. Not that I really am. It's my choice to not want to go to them because of the disorganization and dust. But, books are expensive, lol. I just bought eight from B&N, and that bad boy came out to like nearly $100. However, I can afford things like the Diva Cup, and live a more vegan lifestyle. So, I'm not that down on money. Not like I was before. We're talking about no heat type of income.