Crimes Against Nature - Part One

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by ZenKarma, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

In California they say that there are at least 66 million dead standing trees.

They found that by satellite research.

It is a huge problem in this time of prolonged drought, as it does increase the danger of mega-style wildfires such as we have seen in recent years.

[​IMG]
    Twenty-nine million trees died in 2015.
    ~photo from the USFS

Recent mega-fires in California and elsewhere have made the situation much worse indeed that that. In northern California, just one mega-fire, the Valley Fire of 2015, torched 170,000 acres.

Forest management practices leave millions of dead trees throughout the western US. Not only leading to the danger of extreme fires, the practice of 'girdling' a tree and leaving it to die isn't fast enough for the timber companies. They drill holes into the trees and add herbicides to kill it, leading to environmental damage and pollution of the watershed.

Their goal is to selectively clear out any unwanted varieties of trees in the forest, making it easier for eventual clear-cutting in future. This mono-cropping has degraded the ecology by destroying the diversity of the forest. Not only do certain tree species disappear, but the other plants, fungi and wildlife that live in symbiosis are also lost.

[​IMG]
    Free Firewood Signs Are Everywhere
    Photo: Michael Macor, The Chronicle
    Bill Harsh has stacks of wood salvaged from dying trees on his property in Mariposa.

Now California has a huge problem, dead trees everywhere. More than anyone can use.

Each machine can burn eight trees an hour. It's not going to do the job.

Governor Brown has started a Tree Mortality Task Force — headed up by Cal Fire, the statewide firefighting agency to come up with solutions to this problem.

Seems a little late to the game, and is he just fiddling around while California burns?

Wikipedia has much more information about sustainable forestry management. Read about it here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_forest_management

This post has been promoted to an article

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

News such as that makes me sad. :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Bud D

Bud D Member

I saw a movie where they were killing tree's. It should be illegal as that's not the right thing to be doing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You're not the only ones with problems...

Emerald Ash Borer....

Okay... So where is the crime? Some fuckhead made the decision to use live Ash trunks as spreaders between containers in the hold of a cargo ship instead of building spreaders out of kiln dried wood... (which would have been the norm.) Those Ash trees were infected with EAB.... Saved a bunch of money and besides those Ash trunks could be sold as firewood once the ship got to Michigan... Double ChaChing. Once here the EAB spread faster than wildfire. Will this fucking bonehead ever be found and charged with the damage his greed cost the woodlands of the north east? Oh, hell no.

[​IMG]

As an aside, I'm glad I don't live in Mariposa, CA anymore. I have to wonder if anybody can live in my cabin now, I had a low producing well in 2004 when it was sold. Now, with the drought? fuckall!

5. Moonglow181

There are too many crimes against nature......

Nature is my church......
    I do not need a building for that.
    If people cannot see that all wildlife, oceans, forests, etc....are what should be revered, then I do not want to have anything to do with them.
    I get sick about these missiles being launched and experimentations over the waters, like North Korea is doing now.....
    not only because I see North Korea as threatening, but because of the oceans.

There are too many crimes against nature.....way too many. :(

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I was out on my bicycle and ran into someone I knew from town and he showed me the house he bought and was working on.

The landscaper crew was just leaving with a 65 Foot tree the dumbass cut down !!! And the other tree they trimmed the shit out of still had this long branch coming out horizontal I would say 40 feet, the dude is like that should be cut "the lawn"

Suburbanites make me sick, I thought this guy was alright and I was just like what a total terd. "The lawn" you A hole ! You had 2 beautyfull trees to shade you from the brutal Florida sun and you killed one maimed the other so you could do that stupid lawn thing ?

Suburbanites , they are Crimes Against Nature.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

It should be illegal to cut down any tree older they you are.

Respect for your elders.

1 person likes this.
  8. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Wood burning stoves ....... everyone should have one in their home.
    When I lived in the west, I had one in each of my homes, free heating and good exercise.

9. ~Zen~

Wood burning stoves should be banned or fitted with catalytic converters.

Just because you live in the country doesn't give you the right to pollute the air with particulates and noxious gases which do come naturally from burning wood in wood-stoves...

They regulate the heat by controlling the combustion process.

To be efficient, many users fill it up, light it up, then close the drafts to tiny openings, in order to smolder the wood all night keeping the house warm.

These incompletely combusted wood pieces give off amazingly toxic gases and fumes. I have lived downwind from these noxious abusers of the environment and had to move as a result.

CRIME AGAINST NATURE! Not a benefit.

1 person likes this.
  10. Moonglow181

The thing I noticed,. you speak out against it in anyway.....rebelious, nasty people will go out and do more...kill something else, ect, just to spite you....just like I would like to do right now and burn a flag to spite trump....but i won't.
    I hate him. he threatens nature so it ties in here...At least i won't go kill anything.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I never knew that. I grew up with a woodburning stove.we didnt have central heat.

I wonder whose carbon footprint would be larger, one who heats their home with a woodburning stove or one who uses electric or natural gas heat?

I like radiators myself, i cant really see a negative for them in an environmental context. They arent very common where i live though

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Lightning should be arrested.

13. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

Weatherwatch: how bushfires create their own rain https://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/jan/27/weatherwatch-how-bushfires-create-rain

Chop the trees and burn them using catalytic converters all clean, that's screwing with nature too.
    I got a long phone call after I started and lost my direction with this post but there is that smoke and rain connection.

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

forest fire producing rain is not the same as scattered wood burning stoves over a town, county, state. we get what youre saying but not enough smoke is produced localized by stoves.

15. ~Zen~

Try living in Bend Oregon during the winter... you'd think you were back in the days of London when everyone burned COAL (you know, that CLEAN energy stuff!!!???).

Wood stoves suck. They have made me sick all my life and probably contributed to my asthma which progressed into COPD - and no I never smoked cigarettes.

Gas burns far cleaner with less particulate matter... but again a crime against nature for it's extraction process.

Sad news is the only way thru this is to reduce the population and live in climates that are more suitable... and less energy intensive areas such as deserts and far northern climes.

Less people equals less pollution... but no one will talk about that!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. Moonglow181

No, they won't...but anyone intelligent will, HipChris. I see humankind as a virus now that is just eating and destroying everything.