Jobs For Hedonists

Discussion in 'Hedonism' started by TheSamantha, Jun 25, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I think a hedonistic job would be one that's fun of course. I would prefer one that's social. If I have to take one that's boring, I would try to find a way to make it fun, like by eating a good lunch, listening to YouTube while filing let's say, or if I'm an uber driver let's say, chat with the customer or listen to the radio or use Facebook or something, etc. If I'm dirt poor and have to do drudgery like scrubbing toilets, then hopefully I don't have to work long hours to make ends meet, but can have some time off for leisure.

For me, an ideal job is one that allows me to express my creativity. I love my teaching job for that reason. Also one that lets me use my brain, something that occupies my mind and is stimulating. :)

Is your job hedonistic? How so?

1 person likes this.
  2. Mustangguy

Mustangguy Members

For me my Job was... I am retired now. I like anyone did not always want to get up in the morning, but not one day of my 28 years did I dread going to work and a good part of the time I looked forward to it. I think it's about the person and what they like it's not about the job it's self. I was a Firefighter !

1 person likes this.
  3. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

That's awesome. You must have really helped people too.

I agree that it's depends on the person. Some people prefer camaradie, others prefer computers, etc. The hedonist makes the job. You create your own experience.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think you need to tell us what YOUR definition of hedonism is

Kind of sounds like you just want to boink your co-workers

The definition that comes off the net - engaged in the pursuit of pleasure; sensually self-indulgent.

Apart from pastry chefs or sex workers, which other jobs would be about the pursuit of pleasure or sensually self indulgent?

5. Mustangguy

Mustangguy Members

That is only and small part.... Read more LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

We had a discussion about if the pursuit of knowledge is hedonistic. I agreed that it is. Learning news things sends dopamine to the brain. So does making a to-do list and checking it off one by one.

themnax likes this.
  7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Ignoring the financial aspect of it, my favorite hedonistic job would be bartender in a strip club. Not as demanding as stripping or prostitution, but you're spending all day in a totally amoral environment, around people who are having a good time.

8. Mustangguy

Mustangguy Members

Who told you a strip club was I a good time. For a man we level broke and horny ...not much fun it that LOL..... I am just kidding with you in one way but it's true for the most part.. :)

9. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Speaking from experience, sometimes waitresses and bartenders at strip clubs get bigger tips than the girls because they have more time to bond with the custies and they might be more like one of the guys instead a totally different type of human.

10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I know where some bad ones are located, but I don't go anywhere near them. Never have. I was talking about clubs that have a more positive energy, and it only takes me a few seconds to identify them. Places where you might see two hedonistic couples having a drink on the way somewhere else.

They're not under so much pressure to do an acting job. If you're a fun person and know how to make drinks, you can more or less be yourself and hang out while making money.

A fun bar waitress story... This one bar was supposed to be topless only, but when the girl stopped by to take our drink order, she put her order pad down on the table and sort of crouched down to get closer to us, because the music was loud. I got a well-lit close-up view of her bare pussy! :D Needless to say, she got a big tip for her "fuck the rules" attitude.

1 person likes this.
  11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I saw video about the medical marijuana industry in California. A job trimming up the bud would be pretty good. As a perk they get to keep all the scissor hash.

But really I suppose any job from which you get pleasure would be hedonistic. I used to work in a recording studio - that gave me a lot of pleasure.Same when I worked for a festival venue.
    Now my working life is pretty much over, and despite the fact that I'm often not feeling well, I find having the time to be very rewarding.

12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

thinking hedonism is fun is small minded. hedonism is a healthy and empathetic lifestyle where pleasure is free of negative association. the hedonist is a proponent of aesthetic choices which may be entirely of the mind. sciences and arts yield equal pleasure.

point of fact though is 1/10 of the world's population is anhedonic and feels no pleasure so you can expect those people to coexist and speak out about the pointlessness of joy, as they don't feel it.

13. megan2019

megan2019 Members

Can everyone explain what exactly is doing a hedonist? Sorry, but I cannot understand it lol. Maybe I'm doing this job and I don't know about this. But if not I would like to try it. You know, now I'm looking for a job that will give me a passive income. I have found on the internet this blog themoneymix.com and there are a lot of ideas that I can develop too. Those who wrote there are nice people. Not everyone will share their ideas on how to earn money. I'm thinking about investing some money in a small business, how do you think it is ok to do it in this period or better no?!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

being a chef is a hedonic professions

15. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

When I was a chef there were times I enjoyed my work, but on the whole it is a high stress occupation.

16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

yes but it is geared towards the giving of pleasure, in general, and not where specifically in a health service like hospital. sure it's stressful, but that stress almost universally blasts the brain monoamines and then leaves one feeling drained and in need of additional substances... as in to abuse. i know so many chefs, doctors, etc who are into coke. most people think doctors are immune but since i live in new orleans a convention city i see doctors get crazy - or i used to when i paid attention. anyway i am boring myself with old news