Memory Trigers.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Bilby, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What memory triggers do you have? For me when I see a cos lettuce it reminds me of a greengrocer in the town I grew up in that was an old shop with a high ceiling.

Also, when I smell Pine-O-Clean it reminds me of the old public library in the town I grew up in.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Huh.

That's a tough one. I would have to say the smell of laundry detergent. It triggers memories of my mother hanging clothes out in the yard on a warm summer morning and the breeze wiping them around. Wooden clothes pins, wicker baskets, the sound of an old Maytag wringer washer chugging away.

A blanket on the grass and little bugs flying around......

1 person likes this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

New Car smell = Nicki Minaj

Thanks to one guy that used to play that Pink Friday reloaded album all the time, back when it came out,

ALL the time

Porridge, anything remotely looking or smelling like tasty wheat = The Matrix

Way back in the day, the first ever time I got absolutely projectile vomitting violenty drunk was on Black Sambuca, have never been able to handle the smell of licorice or aniseed since then

4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Oh no you didn't .... [​IMG]

5. mcme

mcme lurker

Any time I hear a zipper run open or closed, it brings me right back to camping with my family. The sound of the door zipper running, the smell inside the pop up camper and a bunch of other memories come back real as life.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I took a day trip recently to a little town my family used to visit all the time until my dad passed away when I was 7.

I barely remembered the town before I went and memories of my dad are hazy but oh man being in this town made it all feel so fresh for me and my dad felt so alive in my memory that day. I cried the whole way home.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I watched a movie last night that brought up a memory of a time when I was so heartbroken, all I could do was cry and smoke. I remember feeling like I was paralyzed by time, that it just wouldn't pass.

It was actually kind of beautiful to me, to remember feeling that way, but being in a completely different place (and having a completely healed heart) while I was having that memory.

Great thread idea. I am sure I will think of other nostalgia inducing things in due time.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know, i don't really think about this until such a trigger appears. then i forget about it.

yeah, fire water permanently ruined cinnamon for me.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Fixed

10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Thank-you. Typos eh.

11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

This is more recent but now whenever I see a squirrel I think of Orison.

2 people like this.
  12. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Sometimes I catch a whiff of someone wearing the same perfume or face cream or something as my grandmother. I don't know what it is but it is flowery and smells like her and whenever that happens I can picture her sitting on her big striped couch with her feet up on the coffee table.

1 person likes this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Me too! There is a certain scent that makes me feel like I am right back in my grandmother's old house.

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I would give ANYTHING to be able to go to my grandmas house and visit with her again. Anything. To me, going to my grandmas house was one of those things that I didn't appreciate as a child but would give anything to be able to do as an adult.

My dads mom is still alive, but that is a completely different and very sensitive issue that I really don't want to get into online.

15. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Same. My grandmother was a huge part of my life and I used to go to her place a few times a week.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

every time i see the word "trigers" it brings me back to a time that mods would randomly go in and change every thread title so that it reflected their idea of what the thread topic was, but wouldn't fix spelling or grammar mistakes that drove members crazy every time we saw them.

17. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

There is a type of odor in certain trees that triggers memories of jogging through certain streets that led towards the bay when i was living in Florida. Hard to explain it well but i've definitely smelt it in during my trip not long ago and it brought back memories.

Every time i smell roasted chestnuts anywhere else i think of walking through Manhattan at night.

There is another odor that i can't explain that makes me think of the boxing gym. Its like a mixture of sweat and leather.

Certain songs definitely triggers memories and emotions for me.

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Freshly cut grass always reminds me of my childhood despite the fact that I mow the lawn every week.

Hotwater

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

This certain smell I associate with the humid summer days.

20. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

A lot of mine are scent related. If I smell lavender I always think of my mom's mom as she had it in her linen closet. If I smell Noxzema I think of my dads mom as she used it. A good cigar always reminds me of my mom's dad.